No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nicholl Fellowship: Reader Line of the Day

now you've done it!
    he's acting like linda hunt when she was billy kwan in the year of living dangerously... frantically typing on a typewriter like a madman after his family was killed.

Comment

He's finally cracked. Anyone know how to do a lobotomy with a powerdrill?
      It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

Comment Line H1. "This script had me wanting to race ahead to know what happens next and simultaneously wanting to slow down and savor every moment - an exquisite little gem of a script, and the best I've read so far. The characters are refreshingly human in their depth and comprehension, while the territory they explore soars.-
        o.O

Comment

With more than a passing nod to PREDATOR and movies of that ilk, this script doesn't score points on the originality scale, but it gets high marks in every other category.
          D'oh! My script is like that ilk. That Predator quip cuts deep.

Ah, I don't have time to bleed,
          rum

Comment

Originally posted by rumely View Post
            D'oh! My script is like that ilk. That Predator quip cuts deep.

Ah, I don't have time to bleed,
            rum
            Doesn't score points on "originality."

Ouch. In other words, good script, but a bad score on originality sinks it.

Comment

Originally posted by KenRichards View Post
              Doesn't score points on "originality."

Ouch. In other words, good script, but a bad score on originality sinks it.
              Let's see - what is it about "we're only posting comment lines from highly rated scripts" do you and the folks on Facebook not get?

Depending on one's point of view, all genre scripts could conceivably score lower on originality as they are by definition formulaic. Originality is only one aspect of a script's quality. And even if one deemed the story not to be original, it would still be possible for the characters, the setting, the dialogue, etc. to be fresh.

Comment

Well, we're writers. We over analyze everything. Especially comments on screenplays.

I don't know where I heard this, but someone said screenwriters could be best described as:

Ego-maniacs with poor self-esteem.

Good critiques feed our egos, and anything (seemingly) negative is a hit to our poor self-esteem. That's the best I can offer as to why we writers examine every single word in these comment lines. It is in our nature to do so.

Last edited by KenRichards; 06-12-2010, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Well, we're writers. We over analyze everything. Especially comments on screenplays.

I don't know where I heard this, but someone said screenwriters could be best described as:

Good critiques feed our egos, and anything (seemingly) negative is a hit to our poor self-esteem. That's the best I can offer as to why we writers examine every single word in these comment lines. It is in our nature to do so.

just issue your mea culpa about scoring low in one category (originality) sinking the script and lets move on

Comment

Originally posted by lordmanji View Post
                    just issue your mea culpa about scoring low in one category (originality) sinking the script and lets move on

Mea culpa? Please.

I'm sorry, but I'm not going to apologize for thinking a review that says "doesn't get any points for originality" is in some way indicating at least a negative on...well...originality. Now of course, I've seen cases when the written comments on a screenplay don't seem to match the scores given. Perhaps the person who left the comment did indeed give some points for originality, but that is neither here nor there.

Don't you think we're taking this a little too seriously? Jeesh! So we analyze every word? What's the big deal? I'm sure Greg is tapping into that patience we all praised him for earlier and to which I would happily accept.

Comment

Where did this bus come from... and what are we doing under it!?
                      "I was dreamin' when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray." - Prince

Comment

moving on to the next one:
                        K1. "A logline can hardly sum up what's going on in this script which is an imaginative, unique story that is crafted well and very funny in places. . . . it's whimsical and totally original. This writer takes us into a whole new world.-

Comment

Originally posted by Furious Anjel View Post
                          Where did this bus come from... and what are we doing under it!?

Actually, I do remember now. It's from, Tales from the Script.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1045642/

Which I recommend to any and all.

I'm not sure why you are referring to "this" as a bus, or why you are implying I'm under it. I thought it was relevant to the discussion we were having and helps to explain why screenwriters are so sensitive to the feedback they get.

Last edited by KenRichards; 06-13-2010, 09:17 PM.

Comment

L1. “The violence, retribution and action of the characters is cold and brutal and it is effective in the script to create the world. There are some nice twists . . .”

M1. “This is a very nuanced, touching film that doesn’t shy away from tough subjects or give anyone (including the reader) an easy out when it comes to issues of right and wrong.”

Comment

When the Nicholl sends out the quarterfinalist list do they include the screenplay's category (coming of age, thriller, sci-fi...) ?

Would this increase or decrease screenplay requests?

Thanks.

Comment

Actually, I do remember now. It's from, Tales from the Script.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1045642/

Which I recommend to any and all.

I'm not sure why you are referring to "this" as a bus, or why you are implying I'm under it. I thought it was relevant to the discussion we were having and helps to explain why screenwriters are so sensitive to the feedback they get.

Tales of the Script is available on Netflix Instant Watch now. I watched it on Saturday and highly recommend it too.
                                Nobody's perfect.

Comment

Working...
                                X