No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nicholl Fellowship: Reader Line of the Day

Originally posted by NatachaVonBraun View Post
    It'd be cool if, as a consolation prize to quarterfinalists, or even semifinalists, who do not make the finals, Nicholl would give them a paragraph of reactions from readers.
    During my first full season in this job nearly 20 years ago, I suggested sending reader/judge comments to all the quarter/semifinalists, figuring any and all notes might be helpful in some way. The notion was nixed by my boss back then; he remains my boss today.

Comment

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
      During my first full season in this job nearly 20 years ago, I suggested sending reader/judge comments to all the quarter/semifinalists, figuring any and all notes might be helpful in some way. The notion was nixed by my boss back then; he remains my boss today.
      Tell your boss to get a puppy. But seriously, I can see it might be a lot of extra work for your staff. It's just sad to see all those good "lines- go to waste. Given what's been going on with the shadiness of other contests, to get such reactions from respected and respectful readers would be a huge gift. The writers will never know. But oh well...
      Last night, Jesus appeared to me in a dream and told me that loving me is the part of His job He hates the most.

Comment

I did not know Greg Beal's boss was Bud Selig.

Just kidding, but that would be an exceptional consolation prize to the quarter/semi finalists.

Considering how much the Nicholl placement means in validating some people's writing, I think it would do wonders to hear professional, positive feedback.

Maybe it can be broached again in the future Greg?

I mean, even baseball has made some progress, albeit far beyond other major sports.

Comment

Have any of the posted reader lines of the day been negative? I mean, after trudging through thousands of screenplays, there have got to be some colossal train wrecks just waiting to be gawked at...

Comment

Originally posted by joe78 View Post
            Have any of the posted reader lines of the day been negative? I mean, after trudging through thousands of screenplays, there have got to be some colossal train wrecks just waiting to be gawked at...
            I'll field this one.

They don't want to use negative comments because anyone can already get a number of negative comments about amateur screenplays in a million different places. Nicholl wanted to concentrate on the positive. For more, read back through the thread where Greg addresses it in detail.
            Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Rather than starting a new thread, I'll post here on the assumption Greg's checking this thread - Greg, do you have an ETA yet on the quarterfinal results? I believe the site says late July, so I'm jumping the gun by a few days, but I'm hoping you have a clearer picture now (even if you can't commit to a specific date). Thank you!
              Patrick Sweeney

Comment

Looking at the reader quotes and at some of the optimist comments people have been posting on Facebook (there's a lot of them), I reckon there's gonna be a lot of disappointed writers come QF announcement. And I'll be one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Sweeney View Post
                  Rather than starting a new thread, I'll post here on the assumption Greg's checking this thread - Greg, do you have an ETA yet on the quarterfinal results? I believe the site says late July, so I'm jumping the gun by a few days, but I'm hoping you have a clearer picture now (even if you can't commit to a specific date). Thank you!
                  Notification emails will be sent to all entrants no later than August 1.

(No committments just yet.)

Comment

Notification emails will be sent to all entrants no later than August 1.

(No committments just yet.)
                    Can't you hurry up and crush my dreams now? I hate waiting.
                    "Witticism"
                    -Some Guy

Comment

Hi Greg,

Out of curiosity, how many readers does it take to read 6,000 scripts?

Comment

Originally posted by baldstunter View Post
                        Hi Greg,

Out of curiosity, how many readers does it take to read 6,000 scripts?
                        I guess it all depends.

Since you're probably asking specifically about this year's Nicholl competition - there were just under 60 readers handling the first round reads.

Comment

I guess it all depends.

Since you're probably asking specifically about this year's Nicholl competition - there were just under 60 readers handling the first round reads.
                          So is there an advantage to sending script as early as possible so that we don't get a fatigued reader?
                          Last night, Jesus appeared to me in a dream and told me that loving me is the part of His job He hates the most.

Comment

I guess it all depends.

just for the record... i will never, ever be a reader for you.
                            i can't read anyway.

Comment

How does one get a job as a first round reader?
                              Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Ummm.... why does the Nicholl Facebook page now have a pirate motif?
                                "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

Working...
                                X