Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nicholl Fellowship: Reader Line of the Day

It's something that I've been telling new screenwriters for as long as I can remember. Talent is only a part of the equation. An important part, but it alone will not be enough in most cases.

Comment

Originally posted by KenRichards View Post
      It's something that I've been telling new screenwriters for as long as I can remember. Talent is only a part of the equation. An important part, but it alone will not be enough in most cases.
      Hey Ken, Did you teach an advanced screenwriting course at UCLA by any chance?

Comment

Originally posted by Telly View Post
        Hey Ken, Did you teach an advanced screenwriting course at UCLA by any chance?
        Not quite sure if that is a jab at me or not, but to answer the question, no, I didn't teach at UCLA.

Comment

Not quite sure if that is a jab at me or not, but to answer the question, no, I didn't teach at UCLA.
          Jab? No, I thought your name sounded familiar, possibly an old professor of mine. It's all good man

Comment

Originally posted by Telly View Post
            Jab? No, I thought your name sounded familiar, possibly an old professor of mine. It's all good man
            No problem. Though my pen name is Syd Field. LOL Just kidding.

Comment

back on track:

I. "Very funny and well crafted story. The writer uses a strong comedic touch but never overuses it. The material gets right to the edge of silliness and zaniness without going overboard.-

J. "I liked how the writer envisioned a world of the near future, but also created characters who are unique and have depth. We actually really care and feel genuine emotion by the end, even in in a world where emotions are being suppressed at every turn.-

K. "This script is wonderful, not because of its story, but because of its originality, poetry, and twist on the urban drama. The first ten pages rival the best I've ever read in any script.-

L. "Scary. Cool, frightening premise. Doesn't resort to cheap tricks to get thrills. Also smartly doesn't try to over-explain things. Disquieting ending. . . . Unique and horrific.

Comment

There are five things you need to be a great screenwriter, and the fifth one is talent.

Comment

Talent better be one. plus 4 squared or an agent as a wife. . .
                  You only get one chance to rewrite it 100 times.

Comment

Comment Line N. "What a strange, wonderful ride! This is the work of a really fine writer -- all of the writing is top-notch. The prose is eloquent and evocative, and the dialogue is glib and realistic and all the characters speak in a distinct voice.-
                    greg,

just another question. after the first round of reads, how many scripts typically get a second read?

Comment

• Re: Nicholl Fellowship: Reader Line of the Day

M. "I'm in awe of this script. I don't know how the writer decided this subject matter would ever work as a screenplay, never mind how he pulled it off in a way that makes you wonder why nobody else has done it. Bravo.-

N. "What a strange, wonderful ride! This is the work of a really fine writer -- all of the writing is top-notch. The prose is eloquent and evocative, and the dialogue is glib and realistic and all the characters speak in a distinct voice.-

Comment

also, do readers see each other's comments on a particular script??

Comment

Originally posted by cupertinoCA View Post

No. All they see is the script.

Comment

greg,

just another question. after the first round of reads, how many scripts typically get a second read?

Greg answered this question earlier. Check through his responses either in this thread, or the other Nicholl thread.

Comment

after the first round of reads, how many scripts typically get a second read?
                              About 2800 scripts were read a second time last year. About 800 a third time.

As already offered, they only see the scripts. We try not to influence a reader in any way - thus, no names and address, no log line or synopsis, no genre, no comments from other readers, no scores from the earlier reader(s) for second and third reads.

Comment

O. "A gruesome and lurid thriller. I found it hard to stop reading in the same way I find it hard not to stare at gruesome accidents by the freeway. The writing is straightforward, unembellished and more effective for it. I like how the author takes the script right to the edge of acceptability - then pushes over it - unafraid to alienate the reader.-

Comment

Working...
                                X