X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nicholl Fellowship: Reader Line of the Day

Originally posted by LateNightWriter View Post
    Hi Greg--

I wasn't aware that the readers got the loglines we put on the application. I thought they only got the script and the genre, possibly the title.

Late Night Writer
    Who should have spent more time on those loglines
    The readers only see the title and the script itself.

Comment

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
      The readers only see the title and the script itself.
      Hey Greg,

when do the second reads for the scripts moving on begin typically?

Comment

Originally posted by iggy View Post
        In the Nicholl faq there's a breakdown of winners by genre. Whose opinion of the genre was used for that?
        I compiled the genre lists so ultimately the responsibility is mine. Mostly, the genres came directly from the applications.

I believe I may have repositioned several scripts. For instance, the presence of ghosts may have caused me to add the word "fantasy" and terrorists as protagonists or antagonists may have caused me to place several dramas into the war-terrorism slot.

Comment

U. “Brilliant. This is very reminiscent of some of the best work of the Coen brothers . . . and nearly as good. Wonderful characters. Crack writing. A terrific plot with plenty of twists.”

some that were missed i think:
          R. “This script was a pleasure to read. This writer not only understands that structure needs to be based in character, but s/he has the writing chops to do so dramatically, building to a climax that's satisfying and just.”

Q. “What a gem of a script -- sweet, heartbreaking, hilarious. It's one of the most wrenching and uncomfortably funny stories about adolescence that I've read.”

P. “Quickly paced, surprising, sharp dialog. A unique absurdist tone that works effectively to suspend disbelief. A lovable main character and endlessly entertaining supporting cast.”

Comment

V. “This is a wonderful little character-driven story that’s both funny and really sad – I actually found myself tearing up at the end.”

W. “. . . these people get trapped in what is a perfect setting for the perfect reasons. LIke Alien, the setting creates a need and claustrophobia that bumps up the possibilities of the terror. These aren't particularly likable characters but they're authentic and, in this case, that trumps likability.”

W - this one definitely belongs to the NikeeGoddess
            and the "comments" about this particular "line" from the writers on this site were spot on.
            Last edited by NikeeGoddess; 06-01-2010, 03:54 AM. Reason: just read the comments

Comment

Bah. All these scripts are wonderful, funny, spine tingling, brilliant, gems...come on, where are the comments about the shitty scripts that were entered? The ones that were insipid, uninspired, a tough slog, illogical, just plain stupid, as funny as a bikini wax.

I've read for a contest (not Nicholls). I know there's gotta be some doozies in there.

http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

Originally posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
                V. "This is a wonderful little character-driven story that's both funny and really sad - I actually found myself tearing up at the end.-

W. ". . . these people get trapped in what is a perfect setting for the perfect reasons. LIke Alien, the setting creates a need and claustrophobia that bumps up the possibilities of the terror. These aren't particularly likable characters but they're authentic and, in this case, that trumps likability.-

W - this one definitely belongs to the NikeeGoddess
                and the "comments" about this particular "line" from the writers on this site were spot on.

Good for you! I kind of think (hope, wish, pray) that an earlier comment was about one of my screenplays. It sounded like a perfect fit, but you never know.

Comment

Originally posted by LIMAMA View Post
                  Bah. All these scripts are wonderful, funny, spine tingling, brilliant, gems...come on, where are the comments about the shitty scripts that were entered? The ones that were insipid, uninspired, a tough slog, illogical, just plain stupid, as funny as a bikini wax.

I've read for a contest (not Nicholls). I know there's gotta be some doozies in there.

I believe Greg said he wasn't going to post bad comments. Nor would I want him to. We all know they are there and there is no need to revel in them.

Comment

Originally posted by KenRichards View Post
                    I believe Greg said he wasn't going to post bad comments. Nor would I want him to. We all know they are there and there is no need to revel in them.
                    Ken, I was joking. That's why I put the face with the tongue sticking out on my post.. Humor, it's a lost art.

http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

If you want horrible quotes, send your script to my wife.
                      TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

Nike, you around? You were asking in another thread if anyone was recording the Nicholl panel. I asked and no one is taping but they are recording and printing the discussion in the Scriptwriters Network newsletter.
                        GirlinGray

Comment

ok thanks, GIG.
                          i'm thinking that'll be a huge transcript though.

Comment

Originally posted by LIMAMA View Post
                            Ken, I was joking. That's why I put the face with the tongue sticking out on my post.. Humor, it's a lost art.

No problem.

Of course, where you are joking, there are others wondering very seriously why only positive comments are being posted. Perhaps my reply to you can be redirected to them. LOL
                            Last edited by ; 06-02-2010, 06:04 AM.

Comment

Probably. I do not know how they plan to do it, full transcript or edited for content. Responses to my questions about this are not overly informative.
                              GirlinGray

Comment

Originally posted by hscope View Post
                                If you want horrible quotes, send your script to my wife.

Comment

Working...
                                X