Anyone else having trouble submitting scripts to Austin?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else having trouble submitting scripts to Austin?

Tried this online on two computers and got the following message:

Error: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near .... etc

I already told them about it...

Anyone else having this problem or any code jockeys want to tell me what I'm doing wrong?
    "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Re: anyone else having trouble submitting scripts to Austin?

Originally posted by LauriD View Post
    ... or any code jockeys want to tell me what I'm doing wrong?
    Oh, the SQL from their online form isn't working. Not handling strings or nulls properly. For instance, you have to write handlers for "'s quotes and nulls (blank fields), symbol characters such as *'s or +'s, which have special purpose in database SQL.

Surprised this is still happening these days. But I'd be boggled if it's something you're doing wrong. They need to get it fixed or else all their deadline dates'll get whumped.

(Structured Query Language, or whatever form they're using for their form fields)

Comment

Re: anyone else having trouble submitting scripts to Austin?

I didn't have that specific problem, but PayPal never directed back to the Austin site after I paid so I didn't get a confirmation until many days later.

Comment

Re: Anyone else having trouble submitting scripts to Austin?

Hey guys,

We've looked into the situation and hopefully we've resolved all the issues involving the form fields. If anyone has experienced any other issues with our online submission system, I recommend trying these steps:

1.)Fill out the online form again and make sure your screenplay is in a PDF file under 5MB. When finished, click on the submit button only once. If the system takes a while to upload your script, do not click on the back button or refresh button. If the submission goes through successfully, you will be redirected to PayPal to pay your entry fee.
        2.)If that doesn't work, wait a few minutes and try again.
        3.)If that still doesn't work, try using another browser like Firefox or Internet Explorer.
        4.)If you have a Mac, try using a PC if you have access to one.

If none of these options work, please do hesitate to contact me at [email protected]. We'll do the best we can to assist you.

Matt Dy
        AFF Screenplay Competition Director

Comment

Had same problem. Emailed Matt, he contacted me back very quickly. I used Internet Explorer browser as suggested and and everything worked fine.

Comment

I had no problems also using Firefox 3.5.9. A SQL error sounds more like a back end server error, so maybe it was a temporary glitch in the Matrix.

Comment

I don't necessarily have a problem submitting scripts to Austin, but I do have a comment about their competition. And I wonder if anyone else might have had the same experience.

It seems they are looking for something very different than other competitions. On the one hand, I have screenplays that have quarter and semi-finalled in many competitions, including Nicholls, which can't make a dent in Austin. On the other hand, I have a screenplay that can't make a dent in Nicholl's, but which has quarterfinalled three times in Austin.

Anyone else notice anything similar?

Comment

From what I remember, Austin doesn't have a limit to how much $$ you could've made from writing-- you're competing with everyone.

Everyone I've met who's been a 2nd rounder either has already had a feature made, is a published writer or works in TV. Semifinalists usually seem to have worked professionally in TV or whatever-- last year at the awards luncheon I sat at a table with a Nicholl Fellow and TV veteran who had made feature film. They didn't win.

It's a pretty big deal contest. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by cvolante View Post
                  From what I remember, Austin doesn't have a limit to how much $$ you could've made from writing-- you're competing with everyone.

Everyone I've met who's been a 2nd rounder either has already had a feature made, is a published writer or works in TV. Semifinalists usually seem to have worked professionally in TV or whatever-- last year at the awards luncheon I sat at a table with a Nicholl Fellow and TV veteran who had made feature film. They didn't win.

It's a pretty big deal contest. Good luck!

That doesn't sound right but I may certainly be wrong. It has always been my impression that Nicholl's was a much more difficult competition to place highly in. In fact, as I said, I have a screenplay that has quartered three times at Austin, but can't quarter anywhere else. And it is indeed my fifth best screenplay. Again, I might very well be wrong, but that has always been my impression that Nicholl was much more compeitive than Austin.
                  Last edited by ; 05-29-2010, 11:28 PM.

Comment

Did you have a single quote in the name of your script - or any of the details you entered?

It sounds like they didn't sanitize their database inputs:

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/exploits_of_a_mom.png

Mac
                    New blogposts:
                    *Followup - Seeking Investors in all the wrong places
                    *Preselling your film - Learning from the Experts
                    *Getting your indie film onto iTunes
                    *Case Study - Estimating Film profits

Comment

Pretty vague criteria...

"The Screenplay/Teleplay Competition is open only to writers who do not earn a living writing for television or film."

Comment

Is there a separate confirmation email? Or just the paypal receipt?

Comment

Originally posted by Mac H. View Post
                          Did you have a single quote in the name of your script - or any of the details you entered?

It sounds like they didn't sanitize their database inputs:

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/exploits_of_a_mom.png

Mac
                          sorry didnt get the computer nerd humor but im sure it was very funny

Comment

It was hilarious. And true.

Mac
                            New blogposts:
                            *Followup - Seeking Investors in all the wrong places
                            *Preselling your film - Learning from the Experts
                            *Getting your indie film onto iTunes
                            *Case Study - Estimating Film profits

Comment

Originally posted by LeadSolo View Post
                              Is there a separate confirmation email? Or just the paypal receipt?
                              Yes there should be a confirmation email -- check your junk mail box, that's where mine came in.

Comment

Working...
                              X