Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Online screenwriting classes

I was looking into NYFA's one year online class (since I live in Texas), and would like to know if anyone else has done this program. Also, are there any other online classes that might be as good or better? Are agents looking for people with some kind of certification before they seriously consider someone's screenplay? Thanks for your answers in advance.

Re: online screenwriting classes

I have never heard that agents take any kind of certification or degree into account at all when considering whether to look at screenplays.
    "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

Yeah, agents and managers don't care about certifications, only about your writing.

I don't know anything about NYFA's class, but I am just finishing up an on-line screenwriting course through UCLA's Professional Program, and I am quite satisfied with it. I learned several things about structure, got some helpful feedback from some very good instructors (as well as fellow students) and it was great to have weekly deadlines. The weekly lectures were excellent.

I only wish I had done it years ago.

Comment

What you don't want is a class offered by someone passing themselves off as a guru.
        Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Yes, I will second that on UCLA classes. Sometimes I take a class just for the "writers' group" atmosphere that it provides. I also have taken short story writing classes through them--writing is writing, and it all helps.

Comment

Re: Online screenwriting classes

I'll recommend CL's online session...it's educational, fun and doesn't require much of a commitment with time or money...the topics vary so you can pick and choose and it's live & interactive.

Comment

Originally posted by OCGirl View Post
              Yes, I will second that on UCLA classes. Sometimes I take a class just for the "writers' group" atmosphere that it provides. I also have taken short story writing classes through them--writing is writing, and it all helps.
              I'll third the UCLA online year long program (Professional Programs). Excellent program with great working writers teaching and the workshop atmosphere pushes the student to get off their butts and write.
              Never let the competition know what you're thinking... and never tell the unseen masses your story idea.

-- Rule 85, Ferengi Rules of Acquisition (updated by cmmora)

Comment

I'll fourth the UCLA professional program. Deadlines and whatnot - huge help.

Comment

Agents don't care whether you have a certificate or degree. What counts with them is whether or not you can write. That said, if you have no writing credentials or professional experience, being able to say you took classes at a recognized institution or from a recognized credible entity will indicate to agents and other industry pros you at least know something about writing. It won't guarantee to them you can write a script, but it will guarantee you know what a script is and what it should look like. And if you saw a lot of the scripts being passed over the transom, you would know that separates you from a lot of people. [wry smile]

I taught at NYFA for a while and while I am unfamiliar with their online program, I can say they have interesting instructors and everyone teaching there has a legitimate industry track record.

UCLA however, which other people have mentioned, has more cachet and just on the basis of getting people's attention, I'd say you are going to get more attention if you can say you took classes through the UCLA online extension than you will saying you have an NYFA one year certificate. UCLA also has a stronger alumni base within the industry.

Hope it helps.
                  GirlinGray

Comment

Working...
                  X