Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue Cat contest notes?

Got notes back on 2 of my scripts weeks ago but not on the 3rd. They said it could take until June 1 but the delay seems odd since all 3 were submitted together. Anyone else still waiting on notes?
    "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Re: Blue Cat contest notes?

I received my first set of notes right on time, but not on the re-submit. I'm very patient--they are definitely swamped with submissions and I'd rather they be a little delayed than rush through the judging or the notes process.

FWIW, I thought my first notes were very helpful, encouraging, and spot-on. I asked for a different reader on the resubmission--simply wanted a completely different opinion on my script.

Comment

what callingit said for me too. i've grown to be somewhat patient for the greater good.

Comment

Just received my weekly Bluecat newsletter and they are now promising to have all feedback out by July 1st. Works for me.

Comment

june 15th they announced the quarterfinalists but they're giving themselves 2 weeks until july 1st to send out all the feedback notes. hmmm! doesn't quite make sense.
          Last edited by NikeeGoddess; 05-25-2010, 10:10 AM.

Comment

i got my notes today.

they said weak sauce. i feel like where they say what they like about the script is just to make you feel better.

Comment

I sent in early and got my notes back ages ago.

I too had some rather limp sounding compliments but the constructive criticism elements were similar to what I'd had from a few cheap "notes" that I had done elsewhere, beforehand.

I'd resisted making major changes from those earlier notes, but when it turned out Bluecat's issues were along similar lines, I edited the story a bit more. I guess if three professionals say something's amiss, you have to assume they know what they're talking about!

Anyway, this sucked me in for another $40 for a resubmission (that was before their deadline passed). I'm fine with everything.

Comment

I got acceptable notes the first time around and great notes on the resubmission.

It's a contest, so I consider the feedback a mere perk, and can understand how it ranges substanitally in quality from one reader to the next.

Comment

I've seen notes of three entered scripts (two of mine and one of my writing partners) and my response to the notes was mixed.

PROS: 1. Few contests give notes at all, so this is cool, 2. The comments showed the scripts had been read (if quickly), and I understood what the readers were suggesting.

CONS: In all three instances the notes looked like they had been dashed off very quickly and clearly were not proof read. Either that or Blue Cat is employing a lot of readers who have only learned English recently.

Anyone else have similar experiences? The comments above seem a bit more positive in praise for the notes than I was. But again, for the cost of the contest it is great, and it was clear the script was read.

Comment

I've gotten notes on 2 of the 3 scripts I entered.

The first one seemed rather "cut and paste" with boilerplate comments that could apply to any script.

The second one was thoughtful and detailed and quite well-written.

So I guess it depends on the luck of the draw with the readers.

Lauri
                    "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

As I mentioned on May-25, above, I had notes on my initial submission. That sucked me in for another $40 to submit the slightly revised version.

Last night, I got notes on the revision?! [I'll post the doc if anybody's interested, or for comparison for quality/depth with their own notes from BlueCat.]

Anyway, I didn't expect it, and it's great! Some sort of response, such as this, is the only way to know that the script is being read for your $40-$50. I pondered this simple situation over in the Nicholls topic, for which I was utterly excoriated by members there.

As for these notes, some right, some wrong, mostly subjective (which is to be expected). If I have another look at the script I might make a few tweaks based on the reader's comments, but I already wrote two scripts after this one and am working on my third. I'll see. (Was a different reader from the first time, by the way.)

However, my point is that at least it proves the script's being read, which otherwise you only know for sure is being done if you're a winner.

Comment

i could write the exact same response about blue cat.

but it makes me think... now that we know readers do make comments in the Nicholls competition (see "reader line of the day thread") then why can't they be forwarded to the writer? i know it's a lot more work and they have twice as many contestants as blue cat but... it can be done.

Comment

Originally posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
                          i could write the exact same response about blue cat.

but it makes me think... now that we know readers do make comments in the Nicholls competition (see "reader line of the day thread") then why can't they be forwarded to the writer? i know it's a lot more work and they have twice as many contestants as blue cat but... it can be done.
                          Greg Beal explained in another thread why Nicholl does not provide feedback...

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
                          As I have undoubtedly posted previously on these pages, we have not provided feedback to entrants for several reasons. First, I believe that telling judges in any round that their comments will be read by entrants will change the nature of their comments. In my opinion, that is not a good thing. What I am looking for is an honest reaction to scripts, not some sugar-coated version addressed to entrants. Second, in the past it was logistically and financially difficult to provide feedback to entrants. It would have involved typing every comment into a form that could be distributed to entrants and then the collating of those forms into the letters sent to entrants. Time-consuming and costly. Three, the Nicholl Fellowships is a screenwriting competition, not a service delivering feedback to writers. Even though #2 is no longer a concern (email does allow comments from the data base to be delivered to entrants), #1 and #3 remain true. #1 is the most telling, as I believe providing feedback would alter the judges' relationship with their scoring and comments. Scores and comments need to be accurate and honest and would change if the judges knew what they wrote was going to the entrants.

Comment

Originally posted by TheKeenGuy View Post
                            Greg Beal explained in another thread why Nicholl does not provide feedback...
                            #1 is the most telling, as I believe providing feedback would alter the judges' relationship with their scoring and comments. Scores and comments need to be accurate and honest and would change if the judges knew what they wrote was going to the entrants.
                            They're professional readers. It shouldn't matter. And the comments to the writers will be anonymous, obviously.

And, yes, where they're not professional readers, that fact alone should invalidate a slew of contests right up front.

I mentioned elsewhere that I only looked at the "feedback" as a means of proving the scripts are being read. I am aware that to even sow the seed of doubt of the expectation our work is being read is troubling to many, and heresy to even ask it of the "respected" contests, but as a newbie it was one of the first things I thought about when I pondered giving somebody my money.

We writers are already a pretty powerless lot, and I can't think of many operations that are run this way. I mean, when you pay a fee, you usually get a service, product, lottery ticket to hold, certificate, something. Even a placement number on a list is something. A lot of contests don't even do that.

If feedback/scoring on some sort of matrix is being done, there's no reason it can't be sent to the writer, never mind the possibility that it might be helpful (as feedback goes).

If it's an "expense" thing, then maybe an extra $5 is worth it to cover the emailing time/cost. The service/product provider has to determine their costs.

Three cheers to Blue Cat and the few who do this. The others can go by reputation or described methodology, as I acknowledged in the Nicholls thread.

But the other contests just won't get my money, and that means 98% of them.

Comment

Nicholl is not a reading service. It is a fellowship. If you want notes, hire a script doctor.
                              GirlinGray

Comment

Working...
                              X