Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contest disclosure forms?

It was suggested in another thread that people promoting contests be asked to disclose certain information, so that writers can make informed decisions about which ones to enter. Sometimes this info is in the contest FAQs or you can get it if you email; sometimes you can't find it at all.

MovieBytes includes both basic info and consumer reviews, e.g.:

http://www.moviebytes.com/ContestDet...testNumber=388

Done Deal also has basic info, e.g.:

http://www.donedealpro.com/members/d...ontent_type=10

Is anyone aware of any other consumer-oriented contest sites?

Some additional things one might want to know are:

1. How many entrants did you get last year?

2. How many people are selected in the quarterfinal round? Semi-finals? Finals?

2.1 How many times is each script read in the first round? In the SF round? In the final round? Overall?

3. How are your readers selected?

3.1 Do you use the same or different readers in each round?

3.2 Are readers paid? If so, how much per script?

3.3 If any of your readers are industry professionals, please list their names and/or the companies they work for.

4. How are your readers trained?

5. Is there a grading form? (Please attach it.) What are the grading criteria?

5.1. Will you provide a copy of the grading form for my script, on my request?

6. In the past 5 years, how many people have found representation based on their participation in your contest?

7. In the past 5 years, how many people have sold a script or obtained writing assignments based on their participation in your contest?

8. Have there any been any complaints that you failed/delayed to deliver any promised prizes?

What else would people want to add?
    "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Re: Contest disclosure forms?

Originally posted by LauriD View Post
    It was suggested in another thread that people promoting contests be asked to disclose certain information, so that writers can make informed decisions about which ones to enter.
    That was me.

I'm trying to assemble some info, including the "income disqualification" info, ie. by contest opening date, closing date, script submission date or award winning date. I'm glad somebody else thinks this is a good idea. Let's create a MAJOR LIST and embarrass these guys into doing the right thing. There's still plenty of ways to distinguish themselves (genre specialty, size and types of prizes,etc, not to mention there are 365 days a year so plenty of time to run them without having them all in the same month.)

I'll keep working on my ideas as well as check out your links (off to work with me now though)

Comment

these are good and necessary questions that contest organizers should answer.
      on the other side and not trying to negate anything --
      people waste a lot of money on contests... like the lottery. but oftentimes it's a waste b/c their script just isn't good enough. it's a crapshoot... literally.

Comment

Some people enter contests to see if their script IS "good enough."

That's one way to do it but there are cheaper and better ways.

(I guess I don't want to discourage people from entering lousy scripts because that funds the prizes for the non-lousy ones... )

I've gotten more useful feedback on Zoetrope for free than I ever did from a contest.

I've also hired a script consultant (the great Paula DiSante) and gotten extremely useful feedback that led to a contest win.

One point of providing more detailed contest information is to help people avoid contests judged by readers who wouldn't know a good script if Aaron Sorkin handed it to them (in part because they don't know who Aaron Sorkin is).

Another reason is to help people evaluate claims of industry "access" as a prize. A contest that sends lists of winning loglines to agents, but which has never led to a winner actually GETTING an agent, isn't offering much "access" to writers.
        "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

... Sometimes this info is in the contest FAQs or you can get it if you email; sometimes you can't find it at all.

MovieBytes includes both basic info and consumer reviews, e.g.:

http://www.moviebytes.com/ContestDet...testNumber=388

Done Deal also has basic info, e.g.:

http://www.donedealpro.com/members/d...ontent_type=10

Is anyone aware of any other consumer-oriented contest sites?
          Oh, has this ever saved me a lot of time that I'd have rather spent writing my latest spec, thank you! I was going to try to recreate the wheel!

The DDPro page is right here, and free to access. I'd noticed it ages ago but hadn't dug into it. The moviebytes is fine too and includes reader comment; can be pretty inflammatory from what little I read.

Both sites have currency issues; as in, who does the updates? But it's a great start.

I note that a lot of this can come off of Without a Box, as well.

However... there are some important points missing from these sites, many of which LauriD mentions. Not sure how to force the contest administrators to offer input:

1. How many entrants did you get last year?

2. How many people are selected in the quarterfinal round? Semi-finals? Finals?

2.1 How many times is each script read in the first round? In the SF round? In the final round? Overall?

3. How are your readers selected?

[I MIGHT LIKE TO ASK IF THERE IS A CODE OF ETHICS BY THE READERS. HAVE YOU EVER THOUGHT WHAT MIGHT HAPPEN IF THESE CONTEST READERS ARE LURKING ON OUR FORUMS AND TOPICS, CRITICIZING, PRE-READING ABOUT OUR SCREENPLAYS, AND THEN GOING BACK TO THEIR CONTEST JOBS WITH A PREJUDICE? OR EVEN READING THE SCREENPLAYS ON THE CONTESTS AND THEN COMING HERE AND MOUTHING OFF? LIKE ANY "JUDGE", A CONTRACT SHOULD BE SIGNED TELLING THEM TO RECUSE THEMSELVES WHERE APPLICABLE OR AT LEAST SELF-IDENTIFY]

3.1 Do you use the same or different readers in each round?

3.2 Are readers paid? If so, how much per script?

[I'D ASSUME THEY'RE COMPENSATED SOMEHOW, AND THE CONTEST ADMINS MAY NOT WANT TO DIVULGE THIS. NOT SURE WE COULD EXPECT A RESPONSE HERE]

3.3 If any of your readers are industry professionals, please list their names and/or the companies they work for.

[HARD TO KEEP THIS UP-TO-DATE, AND ANONYMITY MAY BE THE ONLY WAY SOME TOP READERS WOULD DO THE JOB. NOT SURE WE COULD EXPECT A RESPONSE HERE]

4. How are your readers trained?

5. Is there a grading form? (Please attach it.) What are the grading criteria?

[A SAMPLE OF THIS WOULD BE GOOD. SOME CONTESTS MAY BE VERY TIMID ABOUT SHARING THIS WITH THEIR COMPETITION. AN ADAPTATION COULD BE:

5. What evaluation method does your contest use:
          a) coverage or notes
          b) grading form
          c) ...]

5.1. Will you provide a copy of the grading form for my script, on my request?

[WHY HAVE TO REQUEST IT!? IT'D BE SOLID PROOF THE SCRIPT IS BEING READ. THESE GUYS ARE COLLECTING THOUSANDS OF SCRIPTS, AT $50 OR MORE EACH, SO THAT'S A LOT OF MONEY. I'D JUST WANT TO BE SURE THE SCRIPT IS READ, EITHER NOTES/COVERAGE, THE GRADING MATRIX, A CHARACTER SUMMARY... SOMETHING TO PROVE THE SCRIPT WAS READ. AND THIS WILL EMPHASIZE THEIR GRADING IS SOMEWHAT MORE THAN "HOW I FELT ABOUT THE SCRIPT TITLE"]

6. In the past 5 years, how many people have found representation based on their participation in your contest?

7. In the past 5 years, how many people have sold a script or obtained writing assignments based on their participation in your contest?

8. Have there any been any complaints that you failed/delayed to deliver any promised prizes?
          [DOUBT WE'D GET AN HONEST RESPONSE; THE TOPICS POPULATED BY DONE DEAL PRO READERS ON DDPRO ITSELF ARE GOOD FOR THIS.]

These are terrific, though. It's probably best to simply seek "information" rather than "you're bad if you answer this the wrong way". Several of these are in the latter category. One would like to encourage voluntary completion in the sense this is a actually a "selling" document for their contest if you think about it the right way.

The one I'd add up front is my concern about disqualification based on income/option. I'm not concerned about their limits on past income or exclusive options, and I'm not saying higher limits necessary mean the contest is better.

It's the idea that the contests accept our perfect, finished screenplays and then we're supposed to sit on them and not make money until they say we've lost or won. It's an odd presumption of amateurishness. I'm making enquiries on this and there's a wide range among them, which gives me the impression some contests are more free enterprise than some others.

Thus:

9. What career maximum income or option limits do you impose on your contest submitters, and when is the expiry date:
          a) contest opening
          b) contest closing
          c) script submission
          d) contest winner's announcement

10. Are your deadlines FIRM?

(Don't we all hate the moving deadline dates)

There must be more thoughts on this. Keep 'em coming! I know a forum is not a very collaborative way to work on a single document, but it's a good start.

Now... How does this get implemented? Can DDPro tell us how they assemble their contest information? It's already mostly there except for these few other key "screenwriter-friendly" points.

Perhaps from here moving forward it can be some sort of "entrance survey" they have to complete before they get their listing, and where not filling it in could be noted ("Did not complete addendum survey")

Of course, the objective is that some contests would see the concerns and improve their methods, and the already-serious contests might tweak their methods so that there aren't any gaps. These are reasonable questions, after all.

No contest is perfect, but a few are close with some minor modifications. Some of these things may not have even crossed their minds.

Comment

Now... How does this get implemented?
            informally -- whenever anyone here asks about a particular contest someone emails the contest organizer and tells them, "i know a lot of potential writers (mention the membership numbers here) who would love to enter your contest if you would only come to this board and answer these specific questions." people respect upfront and honest.

Comment

Working...
            X