Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Trackingb.com 2010 Feature Contest

The nice thing is that the Nicholl results are announced before these deadlines so if I somehow get into the quarterfinals there I will enter trackingb.

If I don't make the Nicholl quarterfinals then I'm probably not good enough yet to place in trackingb.

Comment

No way to judge from one contest to the next. Don't avoid entering if you bomb out in one. Different judges like different things.
      "I talked to a couple of yes men at Metro. To me they said no."

http://wagstaffnet.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by acquaformosa View Post
        Nicholl entry fees were $30 (by April 1, 2010); $45 (by May 1, 2010).

Don't get me wrong, I still dig Trackingb . . . heaps. But in terms of bang for buck versus the risk/reward scenario, it really is hard to beat Nicholl.

Hey, someone plot something out on one of those fancy XY axis marketing quadrant-type graphs and will stick all the relevant contests and their fees in it . . . and then we'll . . . hire an independent auditor . . . and then . . .
        True on the fees.

However the odds are 1 in 6,000 for the Nicholl vs. 1 in maybe 900 for Tracking B.

Thought why not enter both. Nothing against the Nicholl, I've never had to enter. People shouldn't compare. If you want, just enter both and double your chances.
        Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

Honestly, I have nothing to say here about the entry fee, considering Kristy took care of that for us, and I still haven't paid her back for my half.

(Then again, she'll be a rich working writer when I'm still trying to figure out how to get that neat paperclip dude from Word to pop up in Final Draft. Why has he forsaken me?!)

Comment

Originally posted by ducky1288 View Post
            True on the fees.

However the odds are 1 in 6,000 for the Nicholl vs. 1 in maybe 900 for Tracking B.
            nicholl had about that many the first couple of years and it's grown considerably over the years. i'm sure tracking b will have the same kind of growth b/c people will soon learn of it's benefits and rewards as well.

Comment

I feel all of the contests are biased to specific genres. This one included.

Comment

Tigre, I'm not exactly sure what the gripe is. The only bias the Insider has is towards, what he deems, are the best scripts. If an agent or studio passes on your big budget action movie, does that make them biased too? I suspect the TrackingB contest gets fewer big budget action script submissions, and therefore a lower probability that one of those will place.

I've been championing this contest since year one and have since been validated by many others. I count zero detractors. That is a pretty unbelievable track record. I can't tell you what to do with your money. But if breaking into Hollywood as a writer is a goal of yours, I'd say this is one of the better investments you can make.

Comment

Originally posted by ihavebiglips View Post
                  Can't count on my hands how many we got off the trackingb.com placement, including our now manager who got us into the top agencies where we were ultimately signed in the room by one of the judges in this years contest..
                  biglips - can you tell us more about the script, including genre and budget?

Going back 3 years, I still don't see anything obviously period or big budget doing well on tB. Be interested to hear from anyone who entered a script like that on tB that's done well in other contests but not on tB.

I also had a script in the Nicholl top 30 -- in my case, 2 years running -- and got maybe 8-10 requests but nothing came of it.

L
                  "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

Originally posted by LauriD View Post
                    biglips - can you tell us more about the script, including genre and budget?

Going back 3 years, I still don't see anything obviously period or big budget doing well on tB. Be interested to hear from anyone who entered a script like that on tB that's done well in other contests but not on tB.

I also had a script in the Nicholl top 30 -- in my case, 2 years running -- and got maybe 8-10 requests but nothing came of it.

L
                    http://www.trackingb.com/?page_id=4335

The script's called HEART, listed at the top of the Honorable Mentions. It's a pretty low-down, gritty dramatic thriller. We call it an "anti-hero's journey," in answer to Joseph Campbell et al.

Could definitely be shot on a low to modest budget. Think HISTORY OF VIOLENCE and films of that ilk.

Comment

http://www.trackingb.com/?page_id=4335

The script's called HEART, listed at the top of the Honorable Mentions. .
                      Saw that and thought it was a cool concept.

I noticed there were many great loglines among the scripts that advanced on tB. Did you provide your own or did they help you with yours?

L.
                      "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

Originally posted by LauriD View Post
                        Saw that and thought it was a cool concept.

I noticed there were many great loglines among the scripts that advanced on tB. Did you provide your own or did they help you with yours?

L.
                        We provided our own. Can't speak for the others.

Comment

We finished in the Top 30 in the Nicholl with a script, page-oned it and landed an Honorable Mention in the trackingb.com contest.

The Nicholl placement garned two requests (not a reflection on the Nicholl - it came in pretty handy when querying, for sure).
                          Congrats on the TrackingB results. That's great. And glad the Nicholl placement helped with queries.

Two requests for a semifinal script? What do you count as a request? It seems as if every year there are some number of companies that contact all semifinalists and some that contact all quarterfinalists. Did this happen in the "strike" year (2008?)? If I might ask, which script was it?

Comment

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
                            Congrats on the TrackingB results. That's great. And glad the Nicholl placement helped with queries.

Two requests for a semifinal script? What do you count as a request? It seems as if every year there are some number of companies that contact all semifinalists and some that contact all quarterfinalists. Did this happen in the "strike" year (2008?)? If I might ask, which script was it?
                            Hey Greg,

Yeah, strike year. I think the requests were from Phoenix Pictures and 2929 Films if I recall correctly - great outfits, for sure.

So, the rewritten script was announce at trackingb.com in January of 2009.

Our script was HEART.

You guys just release the title and genre, right? Mighta hurt it - the title is much more ironic along with a logline. And I think we were listed as a drama as opposed to thriller, again - mighta hurt as far as requests went in conjunction with the strike.

So yeah - the "two requests" thing wasn't meant to belittle the contest or what you cats do in any way - just reflective of our experience. I've heard of others getting shitloads of requests.
                            Last edited by ihavebiglips; 06-25-2010, 10:07 AM.

Comment

I'm definitely entering again this year. The script I submitted last year sucks, and the rewrite is a tenfold improvement. In my opinion, it's totally worth the cost of submission if you want it bad enough.

I'll save that decent meal for another time.

Comment

Greg,

Just FYI, I made the QFs two years ago and got probably 8 requests even at that level - half were from reps. It was for a script I knew going in wouldn't be produced - as several prodcos had already told me no one would do a film with Christians and terrorists (even if a completely different take on it). So I didn't expect to get any offers.

Comment

Working...
                                X