Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Film Independent Lab

Does anybody know when they're send out notifications? It's been a while since I submitted my entry.

Does anybody have any experience with this contest? What can I expect?

Thanks.
    Nobody's perfect.

Re: Film Independent Lab

Remember they emailed us right before the LAFF to tell us they were too busy with the festival but that they will notify after it?
    Last night, Jesus appeared to me in a dream and told me that loving me is the part of His job He hates the most.

Comment

Oh it's a contest thread. Cue ten people saying it's a scam.
      "I talked to a couple of yes men at Metro. To me they said no."

http://wagstaffnet.blogspot.com/

Comment

This one doesn't seem like a scam.

Comment

No, they really do help projects out like Sundance does. But looking at the past participants, it looks like they have preferences like Sundance. Projects with attachments that need an extra push. Just an observation.
          Nobody's perfect.

Comment

From their website:

All applicants to the Screenwriters Lab will receive written coverage on their submission regardless of acceptance.

That's what's good about it. No other constest does that unless you pay extra.
            Last night, Jesus appeared to me in a dream and told me that loving me is the part of His job He hates the most.

Comment

Having been part of this, I can say that their written analysis was very thorough and insightful. 7 pages of single-spaced summary and notes.

And as a part participant of the lab, I ended up acquiring a taste for Perrier since they had this in abundance at every weekly get-together.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamboogul View Post
                Having been part of this, I can say that their written analysis was very thorough and insightful. 7 pages of single-spaced summary and notes.

And as a part participant of the lab, I ended up acquiring a taste for Perrier since they had this in abundance at every weekly get-together.
                Congrats! Have you shot your film yet?

Thanks for the info. I found the email from FIND and it says coverage gets emailed on the 12th.

Comment

from what i recall (i was in the lab 5 years ago), they decide the 10 or 12 lab fellows around the time of LAFF because I recall attending various LAFF function as a newly minted fellow.

i think mileage vary for lab participants. First, it's a workshop. Some scripts need more work than others. Second, FIND does try to set up projects with potential FIND alumnus and producers who want to develop material. My script in the lab was logistically difficult for many reasons. That being said, I got great help from fellow writers and the lab mentor. Third, it's networking opportunity. Each week, they brought in working writers to discuss their films and scripts.

From my group, two fellows (so 2 out of 10) made feature films that saw limited national release and festival play. There might be more but I don't keep in touch with many of them.

Comment

Two of ten is a great stat. Sounds like a good one.
                    "I talked to a couple of yes men at Metro. To me they said no."

http://wagstaffnet.blogspot.com/

Comment

Well, I didn't get in. And funny, I've addressed most of the concerns in the coverage in the current draft since I submitted back in March. Can anyone tell me what this means?
                      "The script seems already to have found solid footing; it doesn't necessarily seem to be in need of the sort of development the Screenwriters Lab offers, and therefore seems suitable for consideration rather than a recommendation.-
                      I guess I still don't know the difference between consider and recommend.

Comment

Originally posted by NatachaVonBraun View Post
                        Well, I didn’t get in. And funny, I’ve addressed most of the concerns in the coverage in the current draft since I submitted back in March. Can anyone tell me what this means?
                        “The script seems already to have found solid footing; it doesn’t necessarily seem to be in need of the sort of development the Screenwriters Lab offers, and therefore seems suitable for consideration rather than a recommendation.”
                        so it was too good to get in? did they send that in an email?

Comment

They sent me an email with a link to the coverage. That sentence is under the Comments Overview paragraph.

Comment

I was a finalist for the lab a few years ago and I had an interview with the head of the program Josh Welch. And yes, he told me that this is a development lab and some scripts they get are TOO GOOD to participate. He said my script obviously needed work and that's why they were considering it. It's basically a re-writing workshop with other participants and guest writers/industry people. He said they don't want people in there who are trying to land agents and managers, but people to want to work hard on developing their scripts.

So if you don't need to re-write your script you don't need to be in the lab...that's probably a good thing, right?

Comment

Originally posted by lordmanji View Post
                              so it was too good to get in? did they send that in an email?
                              wow! i hope you entered it in some of these contests. but it sounds like they're saying it's ready to market. nice!
                              "The script seems already to have found solid footing; it doesn't necessarily seem to be in need of the sort of development the Screenwriters Lab offers, and therefore seems suitable for consideration rather than a recommendation.-
                              sounds like they'll "consider" letting you into the workshop depending on some criteria and/or other submissions
                              or
                              recommend it b/c it really needs the workshop

Comment

Working...
                              X