This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All contests are scams

You guys need to stop putting money in the pockets of these scam artists. Nothing ever comes from ANYONE who wins these things. They are all very elaborate, very well put together scams which give the illusion of future success.

Yes, I myself entered contests. Even placed pretty well. But I'm not doing that anymore. The rest of you should really stop filling the pockets of criminals

Re: All contests are scams

When you generalize, you lump the couple good ones into the whole thing.

If you're upset at a specific contest or two, just come out and say it. Much like I did last year with Slamdance Teleplay.

A contest of the caliber of Nicholl's should not be lumped in with the worst of them, but you went and did it.
    Words... they don't arrange themselves.

Comment

It is a very irresponsible choice of words to label all contests scams. "Scam" equals dishonesty and that simply is not true with a few of these contests.

I would agree with you if you were to say, "Contests are like the lottery and not a very good value for writers".

I myself am done with contests after this year. I've had enough.

Comment

Originally posted by beerbeastredux View Post
        You guys need to stop putting money in the pockets of these scam artists. Nothing ever comes from ANYONE who wins these things. They are all very elaborate, very well put together scams which give the illusion of future success.

Yes, I myself entered contests. Even placed pretty well. But I'm not doing that anymore. The rest of you should really stop filling the pockets of criminals
        At the risk of coming across as bragging (which is not my intention.... much), following my 2009 Silver Place in Page, the same year I think you yourself entered in (and 2008 when I semi'd and you were in the last ten of ACTION as I remember) and following PAGE's release of the winner list to a select bunch of peeps, I've found representation. A manager who I worked with on the Silver place script before going wide.

Following going wide, We had 7 Prodcos interested in packaging and I've spoken to 13 Execs from VP's to Heads of Development. I'm now up to 9 projects in my inbox to pitch my take on, varying from korean movie adaptation, to IP already at WB and Universal, to a potential Sony video game adaptation (which frankly blew my mind).

We're now on the verge of attaching an actress to the Silver winning script and going after an A-lister (and one of my all time favorite actors) for the co-star and also a Director. Plus potential Graphic Novel to run alongside.

The 2008 Semi-final script mentioned above is now into CAA, Gersh and WMA to read over weekend before being fired out to the 13 execs also mentioned above.

NONE OF THIS COULD HAVE HAPPENED WITHOUT PAGE INTERNATIONAL!!

So imagine what Nichol can do! I hate that this post seems like bragging (well....okay. I like it a little ), but I hope it illustrates just how valuable contests can be. If you pick the right ones!

I have never sent a query. Never contacted an agent/manager. EVERYTHING above began and was facilitated by the PAGE Silver award.

Comment

Originally posted by beerbeastredux View Post

You might need to find new material or something else to say. Hey, we get it already.
          http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...archid=1036228

Today, 11:59 AM
          You guys need to stop putting money in the pockets of these scam artists . . .

07-05-2010, 12:16 PM
          All screenwriting contests are scams. SCAMS. You're being fooled and offered false hope.

07-04-2010, 12:21 AM
          You fools are wasting your time and energy hoping. Contests are scams. ALL of them. SCAMS. I made the finals of many contests. No callbacks, no interest no nothing ( at least not from any studios of...

Comment

Working...
          X