Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 Austin Notifications

The rest of 'em are up and running, might as well get AFF on board. Who's waiting?

Re: 2010 Austin Notifications

Me.

And while we're at it, why DOES Austin have such a stellar reputation? It's on everyone's short list of the best contests, but the prizes are on the small side and there aren't so many of them.

I went 2 years ago and met a number of people who had found reps via their Austin status, so I guess that's it? Do the contest people actively promote winners/finalists/others or is this just based on the lists that go out?

L.
    "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

I'd hate to start yet another contest debate thread, but I applied because I plan on going anyway. More than a contest, the AFF has amazing panels. Oh, and 6th Street... Hello!

Comment

i'm all booked and paid for. Great deal on Southwest, even lower than the AFF's discounted rate with another airline.

Comment

Anyone know when the notification is? I vaguely recall sometime in August but their website isn't very helpful.

Comment

It doesn't say this year, but it's usually the very end of August.

Comment

My calendar says aug 3 for semis and 24 for finals but it's got a question mark so i'm not sure if I read that somewhere or extrapolated from past announcements.

And I still haven't heard what's so great about Austin-the-contest (as distinct from the panels and bars). Not "contesting" the fact, just curious as to where the rep came from.
              "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

Originally posted by LauriD View Post
                Me.

And while we're at it, why DOES Austin have such a stellar reputation? It's on everyone's short list of the best contests, but the prizes are on the small side and there aren't so many of them.
                L.
                I suppose that's a valid point for those who enter contests primarily based on quantifiable prizes. It'd be an interesting pie graph breakdown, if everyone's primary reasons were gathered (prizes, potential exposure, feedback, chance for production option, etc.).

However, I think the consensus I've always heard is that Austin is simply a very writer-friendly event and outside of Nicholl, supposedly has great exposure if your script is a high placement. I mean, I doubt people are entering Nicholl simply because it offers $30,000.

Comment

i've never entered or attended but i just went to the site. i'm thinking these prizes are pretty good.
                  All entrants who advance to the Second Round of judging will be invited to participate in Roundtables during the Conference and will receive our Readers' Notes on their script at no extra charge.

Furthermore, Semifinalists and Finalists will sit alongside agents, producers and top industry writers in a series of special panels during the 2010 Austin Film Festival and Conference.

All Semifinalist and Finalist scripts will be included in the 2010 Producers Book which is distributed to more than 300 managers, agents, producers and other industry professionals.
                  the writers get real face time with industry folks at the festival. this seems to be much more rewarding than cash, software, announcements, and promises of reads from industry folks. so good luck!

Comment

For quite a while now, Austin has been the place to be for screenwriters. I've been to several major festivals, including Sundance, and you don't have the opportunity to sit down and shoot the breeze with a working, professional writers. I've heard nothing but good stories about Austin.

I'm still on the fence about going this year ($$$ concerns). Can anyone recommend an affordable, reputable, clean hotel or place to stay?
                    Last night, Jesus appeared to me in a dream and told me that loving me is the part of His job He hates the most.

Comment

Originally posted by NatachaVonBraun View Post
                      For quite a while now, Austin has been the place to be for screenwriters. I've been to several major festivals, including Sundance, and you don't have the opportunity to sit down and shoot the breeze with a working, professional writers. I've heard nothing but good stories about Austin.

I'm still on the fence about going this year ($$$ concerns). Can anyone recommend an affordable, reputable, clean hotel or place to stay?
                      Isn't your friend (whom your reading a script for) in Austin?
                      Nobody's perfect.

Comment

Historically, notifications go out late August/early September. A few years ago I was called on Labor Day (Monday) to be informed I made it to the Semis. And I recall last year I got my rejection notice about the same time (end of August).

And that's the thing...you don't want the letter. If you get a letter, you didn't advance farther than the second round.

Comment

I've got the Hilton Garden Inn for $ 135 a night. It's clean, five blocks from the AFF site, and has a good rep. A very good price, IMO.

You can find cheaper hotels that are further away from the conference site, and their reputations are less than stellar.

Again, Southwest seems to have the best airfare rates. Check them out.

Comment

Originally posted by JRS3 View Post
                            Isn't your friend (whom your reading a script for) in Austin?
                            Yes. I'd rather stay in a hotel. I'm high maintenance that way.
                            Last night, Jesus appeared to me in a dream and told me that loving me is the part of His job He hates the most.

Comment

Because you get so many high-level film execs and agent/managers attending, I think there's a much higher appreciation for people who do well in the contest. The conference itself is something every would-be screenwriter ought to do at least once in their life.

I know the script of mine that made the 2006 second round got some buzz because of AFF, and it allowed me to cold call some prodcos and send them a copy, something that probably wouldn't have happened if I hadn't advanced. And going to the festival allowed me to get reads for other things I had written.

In general, I think entering any contest just for the prize money is the wrong attitude. Sure, some of them are nothing to sneeze at, but at the end of the day, you want a contest that can boost your writing career if you advance. Austin, Nicholl, Disney, Sundance and perhaps one or two others can do that.

Comment

Working...
                              X