No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Final Draft Big Break QFs Announced

Originally posted by wildswan View Post
    Makes sense. Personally, I like knowing how far I progress and where my script stacks up. (At least in that contest's estimation.) Gives me a guidepost, and (sometimes) a little hope.

I think it is a matter of degree. Yes, every competition seeks to provide some type of structure, that indicates where your individual screenplay falls into the mix of things. No, not all competitions provide for sound methods for arriving at that pecking order.

My problem with most competitions is that you absolutely can not arrive at any determination of which screenplays are best based on one read. To have multiple rounds based on one read is complete non-sense to me.

Don't get me wrong, I've done very well in competitions where there was only one read. And I was happy to do well in those competitions too. But the main thing is that multiple reads and a removal of elements that might bias the reader is essential in building a reputable competition where the writers who advance can expect some kind of return in the form of respect from the industry.

Otherwise, a qf placement in such a compeition does as much dis-service as it does good. It's misleading, and on top of that, won't help you get your screenplay read.

Comment

And please guys, I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade. I really don't. Congratulations on being recognized. My criticism is not just for this competition in particular, it goes for many other competitions who seem to think (and probably rightly so) that if they just have a huge quarterfinal list, they will get more entrants next year.

It's just the nature of this business that we aspiring screenwriters are exploited for the dollars in our pockets by every Tom, Dick and Harry who see their compeition as a means to enrich themselves, and not as a means of helping writers. There are reputable competitions for sure, but there are also scams as well. This is undeniable.

Comment

Semi's to be announced today.

Comment

I don't think they officially announced yet, did they? I went to their site and saw that the contest page claims that there are semifinalists, but the list looks like the list of quarterfinalists. And the text reads like maybe it's a leftover template from a previous year (saying that the top 25 will be announced on Monday August 27th, which isn't on this year's calendar). Maybe the page is a work in progress.

Keeping my eyes on it and fingers crossed.

Comment

Originally posted by huxsster View Post
            I don't think they officially announced yet, did they? I went to their site and saw that the contest page claims that there are semifinalists, but the list looks like the list of quarterfinalists. And the text reads like maybe it's a leftover template from a previous year (saying that the top 25 will be announced on Monday August 27th, which isn't on this year's calendar). Maybe the page is a work in progress.

Keeping my eyes on it and fingers crossed.
            You must be correct. I can't imagine the list of semis is the same as quarters. I got an email from them Monday saying semis would be announced "tomorrow," with top ten announced early Sept. Whatever they posted yesterday doesn't seem to be consistent with itself or with what my email said.

Comment

Hmm, this is very odd. I also got that email Monday which stated the results of the semis would be on their site the next day, and there's still no change ... they've still got all the quarterfinalists listed and those dates that seem to be from a previous year.

I emailed them but haven't got a response yet. Anyone else have more info?

Comment

This is very strange indeed. Not only is the list of semi-finalists the same as the list of quarter finalists, but the list of quarter-finalists seems to have disappeared from Script Magazine.

Comment

I placed in a contest like that once. First they called us quarterfinalists, and then they decided they wanted to call us semifinalists. Hey, that was fine with me. I wouldn't have liked it if it was the other way around.

I think Big Break is under new management and they haven't decided how they want to do things yet. But you'd think they could get the date right. The website says top 25 will be posted on Monday, August 27. Isn't today Friday the 27th?

Comment

Originally posted by justin View Post
                    This is very strange indeed. Not only is the list of semi-finalists the same as the list of quarter finalists, but the list of quarter-finalists seems to have disappeared from Script Magazine.
                    Maybe this should now go in the Conspiracy Theory thread, something's going on ....

Comment

Did any other QFs receive the email KatCas and I got announcing the SFs? I have a hard time believing a contest that has historically had 20 SFs would suddenly expand that to over 200. But stranger things have happened. Oh well. What shall be shall be.

Comment

I received the email on Monday, too. Hopefully they'll get it straightened out soon.

Comment

did your email say your script made the semifinals or just that the semifinals would be announced?

Comment

My email said that my script made the semifinals and that the announcement would be made "tomorrow" (Tuesday).

Comment

Originally posted by tone737 View Post
                              did your email say your script made the semifinals or just that the semifinals would be announced?
                              It said I made the semis and that the top ten would be announced early Sept.

Comment

Yeah my email said the same. Anyone in the QF's and NOT receive an email like that?

Website now changed to this ...

" Look for the top-35 to be announced on Monday, August 30th, the top-10 in early September, and the top-5 in mid-September."

The email implied the next round, after the impending announcement, would be the top 10.

Comment

Working...
                                X