Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Confessions of a Contest Judge

If you really believe that people will see the same number of movies and TV shows regardless of quality and that working as a writer is a function of being entrenched, and not talent...

Then unless your uncle runs a studio, I'd quit. Why bother?

Comment

Originally posted by KenRichards View Post
      Not enough white space without it. I'm obsessed with white on the page. LOL
      Aren't we all.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
        If you really believe that people will see the same number of movies and TV shows regardless of quality and that working as a writer is a function of being entrenched, and not talent...

Then unless your uncle runs a studio, I'd quit. Why bother?

In macro economics 101 all those years ago, the instructor of the class I took used Hollywood as a prime example of an inelastic market. An example he used to prove his point was the Great Depression years being boom years for Hollywood.

I do believe there are those way up the food chain who will get wealthy, and continue to have the money roll in no matter what. How many Nicolas Cage movies are going to bomb before he is expelled from the industry?

No need to quit. It's an occupation you have sought out because you evidently thought it would provide for a rewarding life. However you define that.

And I don't think I'm being unreasonable to assert that talent isn't the only reason people get paid in this industry. I don't think anyone here will deny that having great connections provides for great opportunities. And a lack of connections provides for a poverty of opportunities.

This is getting too deep for me. I'm outta here.

Comment

How many Nicolas Cage movies are going to bomb before he is expelled from the industry?
          Some of his movies lose money, some of them make lots of money. For the most part, people see a return on their investment. The industry will "expel" him when that changes.

I don't think anyone here will deny that having great connections provides for great opportunities. And a lack of connections provides for a poverty of opportunities.
          And most writers gain those great connections through their writing.

Comment

Originally posted by dmizzo View Post
            Some of his movies lose money, some of them make lots of money. For the most part, people see a return on their investment. The industry will "expel" him when that changes.

And most writers gain those great connections through their writing.

Yes? Your point? Are you agreeing with me? Or disagreeing with me? Since you say "most" writers gain those connections because of their writing, I assume you believe there are some who don't? That there are some writers who have connections because of their family lineage? Or for whatever reason not connected to writing?

I really don't think any of us are disagreeing on anything. We all know the system Hollywood uses isn't perfect. It's just how imperfect it is that we are debating.

Comment

Since you say "most" writers gain those connections because of their writing, I assume you believe there are some who don't? That there are some writers who have connections because of their family lineage? Or for whatever reason not connected to writing?
              Sure. Just like in every other industry run by human beings. But if you can write, none of that will hold you back.

Comment

Originally posted by dmizzo View Post
                Sure. Just like in every other industry run by human beings. But if you can write, none of that will hold you back.

Fair enough.

Though I think Hollywood is like every other industry run by humans but on some serious steroids.

Comment

Originally posted by killertv View Post
                  Since more contest winners go pro than losers, obviously the contests are more right than wrong.
                  I just felt this little gem needed to stand out all on its own.
                  "Only nothing is impossible."
                  - Grant Morrison

Comment

Originally posted by instant_karma View Post
                    I just felt this little gem needed to stand out all on its own.
                    Hmm, I had some trouble understanding that one too, but I'd vowed not to even participate in this topic since my mind's all made up about contests. Oh well, miles to go and promises to break before I sleep.

Comment

The above quote by killer is flawed in so many ways, it is not even worth the time to analyze and refute.

Clearly, if you have 5999 losers and 1 winner, the odds are in favor of the winner. At least percentage wise.

What the quote above does is come to a conclusion based on a false dilemma when in fact the subject is far more complicated.

Comment

it's not like i said all contest winners go pro. i just extended jeff's statement that a winner is more likely than a loser to become a professional because the writing is at a better level. all i'm saying is that on the whole, across all contests, more winners end up being paid to write than losers do. what that means to me is that contests overall promote people who deserve to win more than people who don't

Comment

Originally posted by killertv View Post
                          it's not like i said all contest winners go pro. i just extended jeff's statement that a winner is more likely than a loser to become a professional because the writing is at a better level. all i'm saying is that on the whole, across all contests, more winners end up being paid to write than losers do. what that means to me is that contests overall promote people who deserve to win more than people who don't
                          killer, I'm sure you and I would get along fine in real life. Message board communication is highly flawed and doesn't allow for the instantaneous give and take that provides for more fluent conversations. I'm sure I would agree with you on many, many things. And vice versa.

If you're a working writer, good for you. I'm sure you have all the talent in the world If you are not a paid writer, I wish you the best in your attempts to become one.

It's all good my friend.

Comment

killer, I'm sure you and I would get along fine in real life. Message board communication is highly flawed and doesn't allow for the instantaneous give and take that provides for more fluent conversations. I'm sure I would agree with you on many, many things. And vice versa.

If you're a working writer, good for you. I'm sure you have all the talent in the world If you are not a paid writer, I wish you the best in your attempts to become one.

It's all good my friend.
                            i don't understand what just happened

Comment

You're all nuts. You realize that, right? The whole lot of you.

In. Sane.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperScribe View Post
                                You're all nuts. You realize that, right? The whole lot of you.

In. Sane.
                                pfft. You're the one who thinks he's talking to people around the world by typing things into a computer!

I mean, think about it. Could something like the internet really exist? Of course not! It's absurd.

The sad thing is that this is the last little island of sanity that remains in your deranged brain trying to save itself and you wont even believe it.
                                "Only nothing is impossible."
                                - Grant Morrison

Comment

Working...
                                X