No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Confessions of a Contest Judge

Originally posted by jimjimgrande View Post
    killer hasn't defended julie or the contest.
    I saw your post in which you said that unless you've been sociopathically lied to killertv and Margaux are not the same person. That implies you have a relationship with one or both which you believe has some level of trust. So I understand why you are backing killertv.

However, if you recall killertv's first post, it did defend the practice of blowing through 75 scripts in 3 hours.

I guess we disagree on whether that counts as defending the way the contest is run.

Comment

Originally posted by mariot View Post

However, if you recall killertv's first post, it did defend the practice of blowing through 75 scripts in 3 hours.
      which is defending margeaux, which I said i didn't agree with

I have as much of a relationship with killer as I had with you when I backed you in that other thread.

Some people deserve to get torched, others don't

Comment

Originally posted by jimjimgrande View Post
        which is defending margeaux, which I said i didn't agree with

I have as much of a relationship with killer as I had with you when I backed you in that other thread.

Some people deserve to get torched, others don't
        jimjim, fess up. you're margeaux. why did you dismiss my script so quickly?

Comment

Everyone's Margaux, apparently. She's everywhere! Look, hiding being that potted plant! In that shadowy alley! Under your bed!
          Patrick Sweeney

Comment

Originally posted by Hamboogul View Post
            jimjim, fess up. you're margeaux. why did you dismiss my script so quickly?
            I had to study for a fantasy football draft

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Sweeney View Post
              Everyone's Margaux, apparently. She's everywhere! Look, hiding being that potted plant! In that shadowy alley! Under your bed!
              /chuckles

Comment

Everyone's Margaux
                Or Margaux has a little bit of everyone inside her...

um...wait

Comment

I read through this entire thread this morning. Here's what I've figured out:

1 - Write scripts with good first 10 pages, good middle 10 pages, and good end 10 pages. Just to be safe, I'll write future scripts with ALL good pages. That should show those readers.

2 - Live in LA. Already took care of that one. William Goldman wrote that it's hard to be a screenwriter in Des Moines, which is exactly where I was living when I read it.

3 - Readers are mostly underpaid/non-paid, underqualified/non-qualified people who are overworked and looking for an excuse to ditch your script. Honestly, that's what you want. If you can catch their attention, you have a script worth showing to agents/managers/producers. If you can't, keep on the rewrites.

Comment

So, is that Margaux in your avatar then?
                    "Only nothing is impossible."
                    - Grant Morrison

Comment

Has anyone requested a refund of their entry fee?

It's about the money.
                      Brown-Balled by the Hollywood Clika

Latino Heart Project's MEXICAN HEART...ATTACK!

Comment

Has anyone requested a refund of their entry fee?

It's about the money.
                        I don't know if anyone has requested a refund but I seriously doubt anyone will get one. There must be some kind of complaint that can be filed with whatever board regulates contests. However, without official action I don't think Ms. Gray is interested in giving money back and what with leaving the country in a couple of weeks she will be able to avoid the flak for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by instant_karma View Post
                          So, is that Margaux in your avatar then?
                          And whose fist do you think is behind that power ring in yours? Margaux is all-powerful. She sees everything, knows everything. Follows every forum on the net. She can assume the identity of anyone at any time. She's everywhere! She could be standing behind you right now! It's spooky.
                          Patrick Sweeney

Comment

Originally posted by timetowrite View Post
                            I don't know if anyone has requested a refund but I seriously doubt anyone will get one. There must be some kind of complaint that can be filed with whatever board regulates contests. However, without official action I don't think Ms. Gray is interested in giving money back and what with leaving the country in a couple of weeks she will be able to avoid the flak for a while.

It's called the "Better Business Bureau." I "think" (operative word) when a certain amount of complaints are made, they do some kind of investigation.

Last edited by ; 08-25-2010, 06:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by timetowrite View Post
                              I got no dog in this fight but whether she's in the country or not isn't an issue. Whether she "wants" to refund fees isn't an issue either.

If, in exchange for a fee, a contestant had reasonable expectation that SS would read their submission, and that didn't happen, nothing is stopping a contestant from requesting a refund.

A letter (as detailed as possible) requesting a refund should prompt a response from SS. If no response is provided after three follow-ups, the next step should be considered. Support documentation is a good idea.

She may offer her "services", free entry for the next contest or a Subway coupon in lieu of a refund--assuming she were smart enough to work with the contestant to make things right again at a fraction of the cost. But based on her HP article, not likely.

If one paid with a credit card, one may notify the credit card company/Paypal or whomever of the dispute and request a credit or a hold until the issue is resolved. May or may not happen, but worth a try.

And the word "fraud" motivates some folks--assuming that's the belief of the contestant.

Venting on a message board is entertaining but doesn't necessarily translate into action against fraudulent behavior. Going after the money usually works.

One thing bothers me though...there was link here somewhere of a post on SS's blog where she threw Austin under the bus, claiming their contest maintained the same business practices (if I recall correctly).

If that's the case...
                              Brown-Balled by the Hollywood Clika

Latino Heart Project's MEXICAN HEART...ATTACK!

Comment

Don't know if anyone cares about one detail that didn't make it into Girl in Gray's summation:

The first place cash prize for Silver Screenwriting WAS $3000 (it was even stated so on their own blog back on April 27).

But now the site says it's $1500. There's no explanation for the change that I can find.

Maybe that's not fraud, but if I were competing for the cash prize I'd be irritated.

Comment

Working...
                                X