Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Confessions of a Contest Judge

You mean, they changed the prize money AFTER everyone entered? Seriously???

Jeez, that can't be legal.

Comment

I am not defending anyone, however as of now the Grand Prize winner is listed as winning $3000 cash, but maybe I'm using a different webpage: http://www.silverscreenwriting.com/prizes/

Supposedly the Better Business Bureau was used to get a winner of the FADE IN screenwriting contest their prize money. I don't know if they could be used in order to return entrance fees, but maybe someone here can provide insight.

Oh, and I thought people might appreciate this four week email course! This just keeps getting more and more absurd...

http://www.justeffing.com/be-a-script-reader/

Comment

that is shocking. I am fkking flabberghasted. 500 dollars she's charging for a correspondence course to teach people to be a reader!!!!!!

The short I posted in the other thread was a gentle poke in the ribs at people like her, but now it's time to go fkking nuclear.

This will not be pleasant and it will not be pretty.

ETA: I have calmed down since this moment, for people keeping score at home. It still really irks me though. If anyone wants to know how to be a reader, you can PM me and I will tell you for FREE
        Last edited by jimjimgrande; 09-01-2010, 06:24 AM.

Comment

Oh wow. Julie Gray is just the gift that keeps on giving.
          GirlinGray

Comment

With a great deal of idle time, I read through this L-O-N-G thread. I only write to say that if you can't go through it all, read page 5 where SuperScribe describes his contest reading. Very, very insightful. And, it pointed out the idiocy of the SS competition's "reading" of scripts.

And, FWIW I sent my first script into a screenplay contest (storypros) not because I seriously thought it would be competitive, but rather, because I thought the reasonably priced coverage/analysis might help. I was floored by their professionalism, detail, and sincere effort to help me make mine better. I'm still grateful to them. 'Cause it was bad, really bad.

To hear of this reading only 10 pages seriously irritates me. But, if it's the money, I guess then, it doesn't surprise me...
            Last edited by MJ Scribe; 08-24-2010, 09:08 PM. Reason: referring to this threads competition-- not Superscribes
            " Don't really like writing. But I do like having written." Vince Gilligan, Breaking Bad.

Comment

fwiw, there's this post listing the cash prize as $1500-
              http://www.silverscreenwriting.com/s...screenwriting/

As killertv pointed out, the cash prize is listed as $3000 elsewhere on the site.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say the prize money wasn't changed, whoever is updating their site just made a mistake

Comment

Originally posted by GirlinGray
                So KillerTV is Margaux Froley right? Sure sounds like her.

I did a little more digging into the vast professionalism at Silver Screenwriting. This is the result:

Fear and Loathing in Competition Land
                I'm one to keep an open mind, listen to all arguments and come to my own conclusions based on a variety of facts, always keeping in mind that maybe the views are tainted. So when I read this entry, I was taking it with a grain of salt... but then:

"Since that time I've done some more digging and a few more interesting facts have come up about the Silver Screenwriting competition and Julie Gray. One is, Gray's 16 year old daughter is one of the readers for the competition."

Excuse-me. What!?!? I do believe I have a bookmark to erase.

Thanks for the eye-opening experience. All part of learning about the business.

Comment

In case you didn't see the other thread, Julie Gray is offering refunds to anyone who entered the Silver Screenwriting contest this year, due to the "judging concerns" scandal.

Comment

wonder if you can get a refund for some other reason besides "judging concerns".

Comment

I don't think you have to specify why you want a refund, but I'm assuming "judging concerns" is a catch-all term anyway. Sort of like "irreconcilable differences" in a divorce.

Comment

Working...
                      X