X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• timetowrite
    replied
    Re: Confessions of a Contest Judge

I don't think you have to specify why you want a refund, but I'm assuming "judging concerns" is a catch-all term anyway. Sort of like "irreconcilable differences" in a divorce.

Leave a comment:

• NikeeGoddess
    replied

wonder if you can get a refund for some other reason besides "judging concerns".

Leave a comment:

• timetowrite
    replied

In case you didn't see the other thread, Julie Gray is offering refunds to anyone who entered the Silver Screenwriting contest this year, due to the "judging concerns" scandal.

Leave a comment:

• Seshatcub
    replied

Originally posted by GirlinGray
    So KillerTV is Margaux Froley right? Sure sounds like her.

I did a little more digging into the vast professionalism at Silver Screenwriting. This is the result:

Fear and Loathing in Competition Land
    I'm one to keep an open mind, listen to all arguments and come to my own conclusions based on a variety of facts, always keeping in mind that maybe the views are tainted. So when I read this entry, I was taking it with a grain of salt... but then:

"Since that time I've done some more digging and a few more interesting facts have come up about the Silver Screenwriting competition and Julie Gray. One is, Gray's 16 year old daughter is one of the readers for the competition."

Excuse-me. What!?!? I do believe I have a bookmark to erase.

Thanks for the eye-opening experience. All part of learning about the business.

Leave a comment:

• timetowrite
    replied

fwiw, there's this post listing the cash prize as $1500-
    http://www.silverscreenwriting.com/s...screenwriting/

As killertv pointed out, the cash prize is listed as $3000 elsewhere on the site.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say the prize money wasn't changed, whoever is updating their site just made a mistake

Leave a comment:

• MJ Scribe
    replied

With a great deal of idle time, I read through this L-O-N-G thread. I only write to say that if you can't go through it all, read page 5 where SuperScribe describes his contest reading. Very, very insightful. And, it pointed out the idiocy of the SS competition's "reading" of scripts.

And, FWIW I sent my first script into a screenplay contest (storypros) not because I seriously thought it would be competitive, but rather, because I thought the reasonably priced coverage/analysis might help. I was floored by their professionalism, detail, and sincere effort to help me make mine better. I'm still grateful to them. 'Cause it was bad, really bad.

To hear of this reading only 10 pages seriously irritates me. But, if it's the money, I guess then, it doesn't surprise me...
    Last edited by MJ Scribe; 08-24-2010, 09:08 PM. Reason: referring to this threads competition-- not Superscribes

Leave a comment:

• GirlinGray
    replied

Oh wow. Julie Gray is just the gift that keeps on giving.

Leave a comment:

• jimjimgrande
    replied

that is shocking. I am fkking flabberghasted. 500 dollars she's charging for a correspondence course to teach people to be a reader!!!!!!

The short I posted in the other thread was a gentle poke in the ribs at people like her, but now it's time to go fkking nuclear.

This will not be pleasant and it will not be pretty.

ETA: I have calmed down since this moment, for people keeping score at home. It still really irks me though. If anyone wants to know how to be a reader, you can PM me and I will tell you for FREE
    Last edited by jimjimgrande; 09-01-2010, 06:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

• killertv
    replied

I am not defending anyone, however as of now the Grand Prize winner is listed as winning $3000 cash, but maybe I'm using a different webpage: http://www.silverscreenwriting.com/prizes/

Supposedly the Better Business Bureau was used to get a winner of the FADE IN screenwriting contest their prize money. I don't know if they could be used in order to return entrance fees, but maybe someone here can provide insight.

Oh, and I thought people might appreciate this four week email course! This just keeps getting more and more absurd...

http://www.justeffing.com/be-a-script-reader/

Leave a comment:

• wildswan
    replied

You mean, they changed the prize money AFTER everyone entered? Seriously???

Jeez, that can't be legal.

Leave a comment:

• timetowrite
    replied

Don't know if anyone cares about one detail that didn't make it into Girl in Gray's summation:

The first place cash prize for Silver Screenwriting WAS $3000 (it was even stated so on their own blog back on April 27).

But now the site says it's $1500. There's no explanation for the change that I can find.

Maybe that's not fraud, but if I were competing for the cash prize I'd be irritated.

Leave a comment:

• umo
    replied

Originally posted by timetowrite View Post
    I don't know if anyone has requested a refund but I seriously doubt anyone will get one. There must be some kind of complaint that can be filed with whatever board regulates contests. However, without official action I don't think Ms. Gray is interested in giving money back and what with leaving the country in a couple of weeks she will be able to avoid the flak for a while.
    I got no dog in this fight but whether she's in the country or not isn't an issue. Whether she "wants" to refund fees isn't an issue either.

If, in exchange for a fee, a contestant had reasonable expectation that SS would read their submission, and that didn't happen, nothing is stopping a contestant from requesting a refund.

A letter (as detailed as possible) requesting a refund should prompt a response from SS. If no response is provided after three follow-ups, the next step should be considered. Support documentation is a good idea.

She may offer her "services", free entry for the next contest or a Subway coupon in lieu of a refund--assuming she were smart enough to work with the contestant to make things right again at a fraction of the cost. But based on her HP article, not likely.

If one paid with a credit card, one may notify the credit card company/Paypal or whomever of the dispute and request a credit or a hold until the issue is resolved. May or may not happen, but worth a try.

And the word "fraud" motivates some folks--assuming that's the belief of the contestant.

Venting on a message board is entertaining but doesn't necessarily translate into action against fraudulent behavior. Going after the money usually works.

One thing bothers me though...there was link here somewhere of a post on SS's blog where she threw Austin under the bus, claiming their contest maintained the same business practices (if I recall correctly).

If that's the case...

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Originally posted by timetowrite View Post
    I don't know if anyone has requested a refund but I seriously doubt anyone will get one. There must be some kind of complaint that can be filed with whatever board regulates contests. However, without official action I don't think Ms. Gray is interested in giving money back and what with leaving the country in a couple of weeks she will be able to avoid the flak for a while.

It's called the "Better Business Bureau." I "think" (operative word) when a certain amount of complaints are made, they do some kind of investigation.

Last edited by KenRichards; 08-25-2010, 06:30 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Sweeney
    replied

Originally posted by instant_karma View Post
    So, is that Margaux in your avatar then?
    And whose fist do you think is behind that power ring in yours? Margaux is all-powerful. She sees everything, knows everything. Follows every forum on the net. She can assume the identity of anyone at any time. She's everywhere! She could be standing behind you right now! It's spooky.

Leave a comment:

• timetowrite
    replied

Has anyone requested a refund of their entry fee?

It's about the money.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X