Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Competition Sticky?

In light of all the recent hullabaloo about competitions, could it be worth having a sticky with a bit of advice to people new to comps?

Not sure what would be in there, apart from 'be aware that your script may not get a full read even though there's an entry fee', 'you may want to email them for clarification if this is not explicit', 'readers are often unpaid and with little experience' etc, etc ...

I was new to competitions this year, and when you read the guidelines/terms and conditions/faqs, they imply that scripts get a full read, I think I would have thought a little longer about doing them if I knew this isn't correct.

And this does seem to be across the board with all the comps, I'm not saying to single people out but it seems Nicholl is the only one that gives a full read? I read somewhere that Austin readers only need to read to 30 pages?

What do you think?

Re: Competition Sticky?

Check:

Contest disclosure forms

And the mother of all contest threads:

why I don't like (most) contests

Comment

I think the deal with Austin is, if I recall: (It's been a year...)

The script is given to two judges in the first round. If it gets two positives, it moves forward. If it gets two negative, it doesn't. If it gets one positive and one negative, a third reader does thirty pages to see if they agree with the negative judge, and if they do, it gets sidelined. If they agree with the positive judge, it moves forward.

This is only for the first round. I believe all reads after that are full, but you can check their FAQs.

Comment

Thanks both. And yes do remember that thread. But I just meant sticky which would be permanently at the top of this section with advice, as with other sections. But if no one thinks that'll be a useful thing then may as well but this baby to bed.

Comment

no sticky
          competitions change, rules change, administrators change, and people's opinions change
          go to moviebytes.com

Comment

Originally posted by KatCas View Post
            Thanks both. And yes do remember that thread. But I just meant sticky which would be permanently at the top of this section with advice, as with other sections. But if no one thinks that'll be a useful thing then may as well but this baby to bed.
            Hi, I didn't mean to dump on your sticky idea. What you do, then, is just you, I, somebody go in and "bump" the thread every once in a while to bring it near the first page of "New Posts".

I don't know about anybody else, but all I ever look at on this forum is the "New Posts" view.

Comment

Originally posted by catcon View Post
              Hi, I didn't mean to dump on your sticky idea. What you do, then, is just you, I, somebody go in and "bump" the thread every once in a while to bring it near the first page of "New Posts".

I don't know about anybody else, but all I ever look at on this forum is the "New Posts" view.

Hey Catcon, don't worry it was just one of those fleeting thoughts, rather than a fully formed idea. I've been educated re comps mainly from here, was just for people who may be new to them. But all's good.

Comment

Working...
              X