Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recent experience with Kairos contest?

The early deadline is coming up Sept.20, and the entry fee is $75 (!!). However, the prizes are substanital and there are only 500 entrants.

I entered a few years ago and made the semi's, I think. The initial feedback I got was incoherent, and riddled with factual errors about the script. At least when I complained the director re-did the feedback, in detail.

However, in the end it just wasn't uplifting enough for them:

"I do not feel ...that the script was 'spiritually uplifting.' The main reason that I say this is because while she was definitely a Christian and she sought Him out - virtually no where in the script do I see her put that into action. I did not see God's love in her. ... She turned no cheek. In the end - her actions showed little of how He actually worked in her life."

So is anything short of "The Nativity" or a Tyler Perry flick going to win this thing? Is it even worth entering if the characters don't have an up close and personal relationship with Jesus?
    "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Re: Recent experience with Kairos contest?

I entered a scrip that was more in, say, THE APOSTLE zone. Flawed protagonist. Got nowhere. Not sure what they are looking for but likely very 'after school special' level family flick.
    "I talked to a couple of yes men at Metro. To me they said no."

http://wagstaffnet.blogspot.com/

Comment

did anyone see the movie that was made on their website? it looks soooooooo low budget and cheesy. 75 bucks so they can ruin your script? no thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by lordmanji View Post
        did anyone see the movie that was made on their website? it looks soooooooo low budget and cheesy. 75 bucks so they can ruin your script? no thanks.
        maybe that's the production budget for the winner.

Comment

I entered this one two years ago, and my experience was similar to Lauri's.

The only reason I entered was I happened to have written a screenplay in the fall of 2008 which was very uplifting. It made the Semifinals, but got no farther -- mine was not a "Christian" screenplay; in fact, the story went out of its way to encompass all religions, which is clearly not the profile of what Kairos is seeking. Plus, I had a few cuss words in there, heh.

If you go to their website, they provide extremely specific rules and guidelines. Read these carefully. I didn't ask for feedback. But I knew going into it that they would have had to bend their rules in a big way to award my script, and I was pleasantly surprised that they did that in placing my script in the semifinals.

The cash prizes awarded are huge. And if you are writing this kind of Christian inspirational material, this would definitely be a contest to explore.

Not my cup of tea, but if it's yours, go for it.

Late Night Writer

Comment

Working...
          X