Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I went to Inktip Pitch Summit

I went to the Inktip Pitch Summit on 9/26. It was worth the $300, and the pros outweighed the few but hefty cons. The event really showed the cattle herd perception/reality of aspiring breakthrough writers. They lined us up like livestock, shoulder to shoulder, face-to-back and controlled us with blinking lights and ringing bells. All the while, the execs/reps/producers sat in comfort and rewarded us with their sincere attention, honest feedback, and some script requests. It was sobering and hopeful. I pitched about 12 times, got 8 requests and 4 solid no's. Because of their clumping method, most pitches I delivered to my target prospect were simultaneously heard by 2 more different companies who shared my target's table. In Inktip logic, that means I pitched 36 times. I disagree with that logic. Inktip also claimed that Warner Bros., Universal, Energy, and Gersh would be there. They weren't. Still, it was far better than sending query letters or making cold calls, at least for me. I also flew to LA from Seattle and stayed at the venue (Universal Hilton) so it was an expensive trip. I would do it again but hope I don't have to.

Re: I went to Inktip Pitch Summit

Interesting report.

I think in reflection, when I first started out, I would've been all over things like these. But I never did go this route.

Knowing what I know now, I think email is always the best bet. It's free. It's direct. And it can yield the same results but you do it from your home PC. And all those folks at the pitch fest emails you can find easily on the web or even on this very site.

It sucks that they promised certain companies would be there and they were a no-show.

EJ

Comment

Originally posted by EJ Pennypacker View Post
      Interesting report.

I think in reflection, when I first started out, I would've been all over things like these. But I never did go this route.

Knowing what I know now, I think email is always the best bet. It's free. It's direct. And it can yield the same results but you do it from your home PC. And all those folks at the pitch fest emails you can find easily on the web or even on this very site.

It sucks that they promised certain companies would be there and they were a no-show.

EJ
      It's not their fault, they can't actually compel people to show up.

Comment

It is indeed not their fault. It sucks no doubt for the writers and Jerrol, who's probably left feeling more than a little pissed off.

My point about emailing they directly I think stands more true versus going to an event.

Let's face it, if you really wanted to contact Energy, an email isn't going to be a no-show when you need it.

EJ

Comment

frankienova, just drive to Portland from Seattle next time for the pitch sessions at the Willamette Writers conference. First weekend of August. The reps are all recognizable names with top-notch agencies or management companies. The execs are all with production companies with solid track records of credits. Willamette Writers takes care of its writer members as well as its industry guests. Dignity and professionalism all around. No interns or assistants sitting in. If there are cancellations, you are given as much advance notice as possible to book a pitch with somebody else. I looked at the list of companies attending the Summit. I hadn't heard of most of them.

Comment

Originally posted by night fugue View Post
            frankienova, just drive to Portland from Seattle next time for the pitch sessions at the Willamette Writers conference. First weekend of August. The reps are all recognizable names with top-notch agencies or management companies. The execs are all with production companies with solid track records of credits. Willamette Writers takes care of its writer members as well as its industry guests. Dignity and professionalism all around. No interns or assistants sitting in. If there are cancellations, you are given as much advance notice as possible to book a pitch with somebody else. I looked at the list of companies attending the Summit. I hadn't heard of most of them.
            Just don't pitch to them on Sunday morning, most of them are hung over. I was there last year and there were beer fueled pool games until 2:30 a.m..

Comment

Originally posted by SBScript View Post
              Just don't pitch to them on Sunday morning, most of them are hung over. I was there last year and there were beer fueled pool games until 2:30 a.m..
              wasn't this inktip's 1st pitchfest? aren't you referring to the great american pitchfest? which they modeled their speed dating technique from?

Comment

Originally posted by EJ Pennypacker View Post
                Interesting report.

EJ
                Basically.
                "I was dreamin' when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray." - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by SBScript View Post
                  Well, I'm too far away to ever go to these things, but it sounds like the organizers don't respect the attendees very much. We go in with all these vast hopes, yet the emphasis is on the guests having a good time. I guess this industry's storied mix of pleasure and business is only productive when you're "in the game" and already successful.

As with a few of the responders here, I also can do wonders with email. But you can only go so far. Ultimately, the biggest prizes may listen but then say you have to approach them with agent/manager/entertainment attorney.

On September 1, I made a golden contact of this nature and finally threw in the towel on frugality and hired a lawyer. From 3000 miles away. Just to do a submission. Sometimes you gotta bite the bullet.

Once the lawyer received the retainer, it's taken nearly another 3 weeks, an eternity when I was desperate to follow-up on the original email while the iron was hot, but supposedly this week the lawyer makes the contact. woo hoo!

Comment

Well, I'm too far away to ever go to these things, but it sounds like the organizers don't respect the attendees very much. We go in with all these vast hopes, yet the emphasis is on the guests having a good time. I guess this industry's storied mix of pleasure and business is only productive when you're "in the game" and already successful.<<

It isn't easy listening to six or seven hours of pitches, so it makes sense that the organizers try and make it fun for the pitchees, otherwise, it would be hard to get people to attend.

Comment

Originally posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
                      wasn't this inktip's 1st pitchfest? aren't you referring to the great american pitchfest? which they modeled their speed dating technique from?
                      No, I'm referring to the Willamette Writer's Conference.

Comment

Working...
                      X