Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2010 Screenwriting Expo Semifinalists?

not if you lived here:
    http://www.loupiote.com/photos/3700155454.shtml
    he's the guy near the green truck here:
    http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CCQQ9QEwAw

Comment

HA HA, that is so funny NG... I lived and worked in India for three & a half years in the early 80s; six months in what was Bombay at the time, and three years in Madras. I visited most of the major cities; New Delhi, Calcutta, etc., for work and pleasure (?)

In Madras I had to trace the phone lines for the consulate to the local PTT. The lines disappeared underground, and the ONLY person that knew where they went had retired and was living upcountry on his farm.

The records(?) were stacked in a small room, organized(?) only by the year; six to eight ft high stacks of paper.

we finally paid for one of the PTT employees to go upcountry and talk to the retired guy, who gave us an approximate location of a manhole (that had been buried under six inches of road improvements).

if the Expo organizers outsourced their accountability to India, they deserve to fall flat on their face.

maybe a group of DDrs could get together and organize their own competition.

I bet the Expo organizers are wining and dining in style, discussing new ways to put contributors on hold, waiting for results to the competition.
      Echo

Comment

Thank you to everyone who entered this year's Expo Competition. We had a very strong competition this year due to all the great scripts we read this year.

Congratulations to everyone who entered!

*Grand Prize Winner*
        Alamo-Duluth-Anatomy of a Lynching a drama by Dale Botten

*Grand Prize Runners Up*
        Summer Camp a drama by Diane Hanks
        Modern Family "Friendly Fire- a horror/comedy by Charity Paniamogan
        How Do I Love Thee a romance by Susu Langlands
        On The Fly by Sammy Pokryfki

*Genre Prize Winners*
        Caliburn an action adventure by Nicholas Horwood Monster World a sci-fi/fantasy by Pat Carey & Wyatt Carey
        Blood in the Snow a horror by Susannah Petty
        New Mommy a romantic comedy by Hamilton Mitchell

*Suzanne's Prize for Best Love Story*
        Transit written by Nicholas Julius
        *Suzanne's Prize Runners Up*
        Get Over it by Natalie Ellis
        Lifestyle by David Hanson
        Whitey Don't Learn by Stephen Kunc
        How Do I Love Thee by Susu Langlands

*Best One-Hour TV Script*
        City of Nights by Grainne Godfree

*Best Half-Hour TV Script*
        Curb Your Enthusiasm "Spic & Span- by Tracy Reilly
        *Best Short Script*
        Aurora by Kristi L. Simkins

*Best Reality TV Synopsis*
        LP by Jonathan Brainard

Comment

Originally posted by lobster View Post
          "Our new judging system will prove to have great feedback for our entrants, but took a tad longer than expected" in the email they sent out a few days ago announcing the semifinalists.

I'm as curious as you to know what this feedback may consist of... and when we may see it. But I'm not holding my breath...
          Anyone else get this?

I just got "scored" today. At first I thought the subject line was luring me into reading the email full of advertising for the site, but no, it actually had "feedback." I didn't really see much insight coming from few sentences jotted off. They weren't "wrong" or anything, just nothing I didn't already know having reflected on this particular script for a couple months anyhow. I had entered two scripts, and I found a further puzzle was the judge scored me 91/100 on one. Where the heck is my prize? Am I wrong?

I would make "suggestions" on how to improve this portion (they ask) but I don't think I'm entering again. Ah well. Every time I get feedback from a contest I'm surprised.

Comment

you got feedback 2 months after they announced the winners?

you're wondering where your prize is. were you one of the winners listed above?

Comment

Originally posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
              you got feedback 2 months after they announced the winners?

you're wondering where your prize is. were you one of the winners listed above?
              A. Yes. Weird, eh?

B. I was only foolin about the where's my prize bidness. Apparently they had plenty of 100/100 scripts to make mine look foolish. If I were scoring, a 91 would be blow my socks off great, but obviously their criteria for high scores isn't mine.

Comment

just be grateful you didn't get the simon cowell judge
                you got the randy jackson judge
                and those 100/100 scores came from paula abdul
                now move on...

Comment

Yeah, Mopap, I got my feedback yesterday too. I wish I could say it's going to be helpful, but... the problem is, they give you a numeric score for four or five broad areas without explaining what's behind the score.

For example, they scored me 22 out of 30 for "characters and dialogue." A score like that seems to indicate I need to do some more character work. But then at the end, their comment on the "strengths" of the script was:

"Strong characters, solid dialogue and good conflict/tension throughout.-

So what am I supposed to take away from this? Do my characters need work or not?

Then on "needs improvement", they said this: "The second act structure could be tighter.-

Again, it's just too general to give me anything to work with.

If they dumped the feedback and instead spent time and energy on improving the contest organization and reporting results on time, I'd be far more likely to enter again. But if they don't improve the way the contest is run, offering feedback like this is not going to be an enticement to enter.

One more note... I might've felt a little better about the feedback (like, at least they made an effort) if it wasn't for the fact that it was delivered within a long email that advertised many of Expo's products before finally getting to the feedback section. I didn't appreciate that it was buried inside a sales pitch that I might've preferred to delete unread.

Comment

Same here Mopap and Lobster - I got my feedback yesterday, too, and almost deleted the email thinking it was their usual junk hype. I totally forgot I was getting feedback from them. Then after opening, I almost deleted it again because I thought it was just newsletter ad crap. After scrolling to the bottom, finally, there it was.

Mopap - getting 91/100 seems like it should have put you in the SF, at least. I agree - you were robbed!

Lobster - same here regarding inconsistencies between comments, suggestions, scoring, and reality. I got superlative comments on everything, and only one little suggestion about something that, trust me, did not make sense. But the scores, though not bad, didn't seem like they matched the glowing comments.
                    "The Hollywood film business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson

Comment

The 2nd, apologetic, email was curious. Looks like they got a lot of mad people firing off some thoughts. The whole business of it "costing" too much for the feedback to be more comprehensive is thin. All they really had to do was beef it up with a few more sentences and ppl would've been more satisfied, I'd bet. If everything had been more on time, ran smoothly, etc. I'm sure that wouldn't have hurt either.

Funny w/o me seeking the answer, they wrote the "threshold" for semifinalists was 91.5. Now that's comedy! Or...am I being watched

Comment

Originally posted by Mopap View Post
                        The 2nd, apologetic, email was curious. Looks like they got a lot of mad people firing off some thoughts. The whole business of it "costing" too much for the feedback to be more comprehensive is thin. All they really had to do was beef it up with a few more sentences and ppl would've been more satisfied, I'd bet. If everything had been more on time, ran smoothly, etc. I'm sure that wouldn't have hurt either.

Funny w/o me seeking the answer, they wrote the "threshold" for semifinalists was 91.5. Now that's comedy! Or...am I being watched
                        Yeah, that WAS weird. I felt like I was being watched, too, because the second email added comments to mine that were cut off, that better explained the suggestion I thought made no sense. And I didn't send them feedback. Expo, can you see me right now...

You missed SF by a mere .5. At least you know now that were so close, and a QF, which they don't post.
                        "The Hollywood film business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson

Comment

wow, i entered two scripts that were the first i ever wrote and they scored higher than the one that got me repped. in fact that one was well below the bottom of the average at 48.

Comment

Sorry for the multi-quotes and for dragging this post up from the graveyard! But - I'm new and have things to say

Originally posted by cshel View Post
                            Congratulations to everyone who made it!

I did not...

Anyone here make it?

I wish they had posted QF, too.

It's confusing because certain links on their website posted last year's list as the 2010 list, but then I got the above email from this year.
                            My writing partner and I made it into the semis.

Originally posted by rainer View Post
                            Congrats to the semifinalists!

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']TV SEMIFINALISTS[/font][FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']NCIS: "Countdown" - Tammy Olsen & Shawna Moore [/font]
                            Originally posted by pat View Post
                            i am a semi-finalist this year. still waiting to hear if i should go to the awards
                            tomorrow night.

anybody else in the same boat?

of course, i emailed and ...
                            Yep. We were in the same boat. Found out a day before the contest but no one ever responded to my e-mail answering if we should go to the awards. So we didn't.

Originally posted by lordmanji View Post
                            wow, i entered two scripts that were the first i ever wrote and they scored higher than the one that got me repped. in fact that one was well below the bottom of the average at 48.
                            This is where I'm having difficulty. We need an agent/manager and I'm just not confident or knowledgeable about the best way to go about getting one.

Query letters are not easy for me even if I did know how or who to query.

- Tammy

Comment

Working...
                            X