Marvin Acuna - Business of Show Institute...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marvin Acuna - Business of Show Institute...

Has anyone here joined the group? And if you did, what was your experience?

I joined last year, and its not a cheap group, and Acuna tends to over sell the purpose of his organization in the sense that he promises to "help" new screenwriters navigate the waters of Hollywood and makes personal pledges to assist you in your journey.

On one hand, he did provide some very cool interviews and direct emails with established producers, managers and agents. On the other hand, he never once responded to any of my emails asking some technical questions about log lines and ways to set up my pitch -- one of the things he discussed in his short little videos where he tries to get you to sign up.

I am finding that more and more people have become predatory. They know how hard it has been for new writers since the strike and they know people are desperate, scared, broke and stressed out. They use this knowledge to get the unsold writer to spend what little money they have with the promise that they can get you "closer" to the business if you just "become a member" of their group.

I haven't met anyone else who has joined the group that has anything positive to say.

I am not singling Acuna out, he is just one of the people out there that has seized the moment and sells hope to people in dire need of some good news once in a while.

I just wonder what other writer's experiences have been like with these types of organizations and particularly the BOSI.

CBW

Re: Marvin Acuna - Business of Show Institute...

I subscribed to the free newsletter, which I like. But I get a barrage of hyped-up emails from him that seem like a bunch of BS to get money for false hope. You're the first person I've seen mention they joined. Thanks for the heads-up. I think he also does the expo, judges for some contests, etc., etc. He's not a very big producer - but he's the king of hype.
    "The Hollywood film business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by cshel View Post
      I subscribed to the free newsletter, which I like. But I get a barrage of hyped-up emails from him that seem like a bunch of BS to get money for false hope. You're the first person I've seen mention they joined. Thanks for the heads-up. I think he also does the expo, judges for some contests, etc., etc. He's not a very big producer - but he's the king of hype.
      I don't believe he is a bad person, I just noticed the general trend of selling hope in the form of "helping the new screenwriter make it" websites, seminars, contests and groups that are simply a waste of money.

I can't fault anyone for trying to make a buck by monetizing their specific knowledge base, but when it comes to making a buck off of people's dreams, it does leave a hollow feeling inside of you when you scrape together a couple of hundred bucks and join a group for the purpose of forwarding your career and it turns out to be smoke and mirrors.

CBW

Comment

I was interested in one manager interview in particular. When trying to access it I realized how much it cost.

I passed.

EJ

Comment

Working...
        X