Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Austin Film Festival

So, this is insanely early, but I want to go this year. Haven't been in years (ridiculous since I grew up in Austin and live only a stone's throw away now), but I'm looking at the various badge levels and it's overwhelming.

Which badge level makes sense for a first time conference attendee?

And although I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this one, how much of a diff does it make if you stay at one of the conference hotels v. driving in daily?
    If you have someone on the set for the hair, why would you not have someone for the words?
    Louis Malle

Re: Austin Film Festival

I guess it depends on how much partying you want to do (I'm being serious).

I live out of town and have always gotten the conference-level badge, which gets you into most things except for a couple of the fancier parties and awards banquet. It gets you into pretty much all of the sessions and all of the movies, as well as some of the other parties, so I feel like it's the best bang for my buck.

My brother went with me last year and he lives in Austin, and he got the day pass on Saturday, which was enough for him, since he's not a writer.

I've always driven in, and while the parking can be a pain, both in finding a space and in cost, it's still cheaper than a room at the Driskill. The other Austin-based people I know who go to AFF always commute in.

Comment

Conference badge is your best bang for the buck.
      The best way out is always through. - Robert Frost

Comment

Thanks, y'all. Exactly what I needed/wanted to know!
        If you have someone on the set for the hair, why would you not have someone for the words?
        Louis Malle

Comment

i'll agree with the others on the conference badge. I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn at the end of 6th street and it was a very good deal for the money, imo.

Comment

Normally, I'd say if you live there, save the money and drive in.

And that's fine for the panels and roundtables and such. But the parties are scheduled at 7:30 and 11:30 p.m. (at least this year they were). And then there's just hanging out with people you meet at the Driskill bar (or wherever).

So having to drive home at night could be a pain and could limit what you can do. On the other hand, the hotels aren't cheap. Which is not to say they aren't worth it if you can afford the $$$.

Comment

Working...
            X