Nicholl Eligibility question- Gregbeal or anyone in the know?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nicholl Eligibility question- Gregbeal or anyone in the know?

Am I right in interpreting the rules re options such that if I optioned a novel for film for more than $5,000, then I am NOT eligible for the Nicholl, even though I didn't write the screenplay for the optioned novel (and haven't been paid more than $5,000 for anything film related other than option rights).

(Afraid I'm right and bummed.....)
    If you have someone on the set for the hair, why would you not have someone for the words?
    Louis Malle

Re: Nicholl Eligibility question- Gregbeal or anyone in the know?

Originally posted by thatwritergirl View Post
    Am I right in interpreting the rules re options such that if I optioned a novel for film for more than $5,000, then I am NOT eligible for the Nicholl, even though I didn't write the screenplay for the optioned novel (and haven't been paid more than $5,000 for anything film related other than option rights).

(Afraid I'm right and bummed.....)
    Yes, your interpretation of the rules is correct. Optioning a novel for film or television for more than $5,000 would cause a writer to be ineligible for the Nicholl competition.

Congratulations on your option. That's great.

Comment

Don't be bummed, girl! You got an option!

Comment

Thanks, y'all! Obviously I'm not bummed about the option at all, in the slightest. (Perhaps one day I'll even get to buy a red carpet dress for the premiere!). But I'll admit to being a little bummed about the contest just b/c Nicholl is tops of my already short list of contests I'd love to enter.
        If you have someone on the set for the hair, why would you not have someone for the words?
        Louis Malle

Comment

If the option is more than 5 K, keep the money and run!

If it's 5K, ask them to change it to 4999.99

I admit, from the rules I would have thought optioning a novel would have been acceptable, since the author is not receiving any money for screenwriting. Good to know.

Comment

Originally posted by Rantanplan View Post
            If the option is more than 5 K, keep the money and run!

If it's 5K, ask them to change it to 4999.99

I admit, from the rules I would have thought optioning a novel would have been acceptable, since the author is not receiving any money for screenwriting. Good to know.
            Yeah, that's what I thought/hoped, too. And I'm definitely out.
            Louis Malle

Comment

Working...
            X