X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CSM/Great Loglines Contest Winners

http://greatloglines.com/winners.winter.2011.html

Anyone enter?

I was surprised at the majority that were chosen... Of course, who knows what might work given the right talent, but do most of these honestly sound good to anyone?

Re: CSM/Great Loglines Contest Winners

No, I didn't enter. My first impression after reading these loglines was that most of them aren't super-great or fresh, original ideas. A couple of them aren't even well written. Some of them did sound fun and interesting -- I'd give a few of them 10 pages of my attention if I were looking for a script. But I'm no expert at loglines, lol. I just know what I like.

I think it'd be fun and educational for some of the more credited writers (and managers out there) on the message boards to dissect the top five winners in both groups and tell us where they think the loglines went right (or wrong) -- and why. I know I'd stand to benefit and maybe even come out of this a better logline magician. Anyone game??

Comment

wow.

Comment

honestly it looks like you could just throw them all up in air and choose a winner randomly. i prefer both 2nd place winners to the 1st place winners. and there's very little difference bet the two classes: master and new. "the magic gang" is more interesting than a hunter in india.

now that i think about it, this is a silly contest. what was the real purpose? it's concept that sells. i mean, who's buying scripts set in 1940's india? it's a small market.

Comment

Hi all! I'm new to the forum and am looking forward to learning and contributing.

I entered the last round of this contest but it took an e-mail to the contest chairman to get the results. I got an excel spreadsheet that didn't explain to me the odd scoring numbers. And a comment from one of the judges was that they'd read the script based on the logline. I don't see that comment made any difference in the judging.

All in all I probably wouldn't enter it again.

Comment

This was a 300$ winner??

When a woman is bitten and turned into a vampire during a one night stand, she must break the news to her family over Christmas.

....ok, and now what? that's the fcking movie?

Comment

This was my logline:

Poised on the edge of the historical find of the century, an amateur archeologist and her hastily formed team are plunged into an ancient world wrought with danger, death and unexpected betrayal.

This was the reader's response: Caught my eye. I'd take a look at a script based on logline.

Nothing happened and it didn't place in the contest. But I really didn't understand the judging criteria either.

Opinions and critique are absolutely welcome!

- Tammy

Comment

Originally posted by tlowrites View Post
                This was my logline:

Poised on the edge of the historical find of the century, an amateur archeologist and her hastily formed team are plunged into an ancient world wrought with danger, death and unexpected betrayal.

This was the reader's response: Caught my eye. I'd take a look at a script based on logline.

Nothing happened and it didn't place in the contest. But I really didn't understand the judging criteria either.

Opinions and critique are absolutely welcome!

- Tammy
                Find of the century could mean anything. Atlantis? The Golden Fleece? Garden of Eden? How is her team plunged into an ancient world? Time Travel? Lost in the Amazon after a plane crash? I'm surprised someone said it caught their eye. Too vague.

BTW, you'll get more feedback by posting this in the logline section. Good luck!
                "I was dreamin' when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray." - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by tlowrites View Post
                  This was my logline:

Sorry about leaving the purpose of the thread but I just had to comment. I don't think this logline works because I still don't know what the story is about. What exactly is the conflict? Although I don't know what you're story is about, I was thinking couldn't your logline be structured a little more like this:

When an archeologist and her team discover the underground tomb of an ancient dark wizard, they must battle a guardian creature hell bent on killing them before they can reach the surface.

I think something like this would tell the reader more of what the protagonist is facing and what the stakes are.

Good luck!
                  www.cheapskate-a-holic.com Release your inner cheapskate!!

Comment

Working...
                  X