Anyone Attend John Truby's "Anatomy of The Story" Class?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Attend John Truby's "Anatomy of The Story" Class?

Hey All,

I'm interested to know if any of you attended John Truby's "Anatomy of The Story -- Master Class" this past weekend and, if so, if you wouldn't mind sharing some of his insights?

Since I'm currently working on the script to a sci-fi action thriller, what I am particularly interested in hearing about are his thoughts on the thriller genre -- more specifically, what he considers to be the essential story beats of this particular genre.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Also, if anyone has any suggestions for books, links to articles or interviews, etc., pertaining to this subject (story beats of the thriller genre), I would love to know about them!

Many Thanks,

Panda

Re: Anyone Attend John Truby's "Anatomy of The Story" Class?

His book lays out his methods and he sells recordings of genre lectures of which Thriller is one. A lot of what he writes, you'll be able to get by studying movies. That's basically what he did, studied movies and books and saw what the good ones had in common.

Anyway, you can buy his lectures from around $50 at his website.
    what the head makes cloudy the heart makes very clear

Comment

Thanks Kwinnky!

I'll check that out.

Comment

He's a smart guy, I've got one of his classes in audiobook form. All 14 hours of it.
        It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

He is a smart guy. Heard him lecture at the Expo several times and always got a lot out of it. I've been considering dropping some money on a couple of his genre seminars. But, Kwinnky, sounds like maybe we can get a lot of the same info from his book?

Comment

I took his class years ago - one where it was a mini class that also included mini classes with Michael Hauge, Jeff Kitchen, and Sid Fields. Regarding Thrillers, Truby described this genre as "crime story where the detective becomes the victim and is in great danger."

The main question is: Is your (the detective's) suspicion justified?

He said there are 9 beats in a thriller - though he didn't list them out since it was a mini class.

He said the story has to have 2 tracks: 1) personal and 2)crime. Have to show the hero's personal need will be resolved by solving the crime. For example in Rear Window, Jim can't commit to marrying Grace Kelly. He doesn't commit until after he uncovers the crime with her.

These are the only things legible I can find in my notes. Probably get more from his normal classes since mine was only a mini (4 hour) class. Good luck!
            www.cheapskate-a-holic.com Release your inner cheapskate!!

Comment

Working...
            X