Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PAGE contest / Screenwriting Awards

I figured there would be a good, recent thread about the Page contest somewhere, but I could not find one searching directly here or via Google. If there is one, sorry about that.

I'm looking for people's perspectives on Page. I know there is some skepticism about contests in general, aside from Nicholl. But, among those of you who think that some contests are worthwhile,

- Is Page worthwhile?

- Is the "Judge’s Feedback" ($75) worthwhile.

I can see 2 possible upsides to the feedback. The notes themselves. Also, it could/should make it more likely that the reader will read (or at least skim) the entire script. So, if despite one's best efforts, pages 1-15 are not killer but pages 30-100 are, or otherwise things just start slowly...

Comments?

Re: PAGE contest / Screenwriting Awards

I'm surprised you can't find anything -- Page has been discussed at great length and I think the comments are uniformly positive. The folks who run it are friendly and professional and fun.

I won the Silver Prize last year so of course I think it's worth it.

Didn't pay for feedback so I can't speak to that.
    "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

Originally posted by LauriD View Post
      I'm surprised you can't find anything -- Page has been discussed at great length and I think the comments are uniformly positive.
      Thanks. Yes, as I said, it might be a deficiency in my search skills. Though, when the search words are "page contest notes OR feedback", it can be tough to sift through the results.

Oh, and congrats. Beyond the fame and "fortune", did winning help?

I'm hoping someone here has done the feedback.

Comment

I mentioned the Page win in queries, and I think it helped me get some reads. (I also made the Nicholl semi-fi's and of course I mentioned that too.)

ANY kind of contest win helps set you aside from the throng when you query.
        "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

I entered Page last year and will definitely do so again. I also got feedback last year whenever it was available. PAGE was one of the most worthwhile. The judge I had is one of the people who helped write their book (so I know I didn't get a $10/hr craigslist reader)! The feedback even listed her credentials.

The feedback includes sections on what the writer was trying to do, where s/he was successful, and where more work is needed. Then it breaks down the score in a 10 category scale and with a paragraph about how the writer did in each category. After that the judge says whether they would give you a pass, consider, or recommend if the script came to their company and why. The final section has comments on how the script could be improved. It was about five pages in all and lots of useful comments and suggestions.

Comment

I submitted 2 enteries so I hope they are still good this year too!
            www.cheapskate-a-holic.com Release your inner cheapskate!!

Comment

Gotta bump this to give a congrats to John Scott III for getting MAGGIE picked up. Don't believe he is a member of this forum, but it's great to give a shout out to PAGE winners that have progressed professionally. I remember seeing his name advancing on numerous categories last year.

I'm skipping entering this year (first time since 2007) as contest entry fees are too green for me and I don't have a script ready. But I wanna wish those that have entered the best of luck and give future congrats to the winners -- whom I know will be DD'ers!

Comment

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...highlight=page

Comment

WOW! Here's the post on their Facebook page:

" This just in... Sparking a bidding war involving six producers, our 2010 PAGE Award-winning horror script MAGGIE has been sold to producer Timur Bekmambetov. After winning his PAGE Gold Prize last October, writer John Scott III was signed by Verve Entertainment, who bartered the deal. Our sincerest congratulations to the very talented John Scott!! Read more at Deadline.com:
                  http://www.deadline.com/tag/john-scott-3/ "

Can't remember the last time I heard of a bidding war on a spec. Congrats to John Scott indeed!

Comment

PAGE is a great contest, and the judge's notes have always been really helpful.
                    Patrick Sweeney

Comment

So the late deadline passed ... and now I see there is a "Last Minute Deadline" on April 30th ...

Can I expect a "Really Really Late Last Minute Deadline" on May 15th?

Comment

These extra deadlines are stupid.

Comment

I believe their "Last Minute Deadline" is nothing new. I don't mind the extra deadlines ... I just don't like that the final winners aren't announced until October. Even waiting until July for Quarter Finalists seems long. I guess they get a lot of scripts and want to do it right, but I wish the process was a bit quicker.

I also wish that the short subject and TV show categories didn't cost the same as a feature to enter. It's doubtful that either category would win the top $25,000 prize. They should each have their own contest, cost less to enter those and perhaps have separate categories too with perhaps a top prize of $5,000 or $10,000. I would have entered one of my short scripts, but judging by the past winners (which tend to lean toward the heartfelt indie type shorts), I know my thriller/comedy short wouldn't win ... so I didn't bother to enter. If there were categories, then perhaps it would have more of a chance.

Comment

What's interesting about the PAGE and AUSTIN TV pilot categories is that their 30-minute format only lists SITCOMS. This completely ignores one-camera comedies like, um, lesssee, oh yeah, "Entourage." Now to Asutin's credit, they did say they would accept the one-camera under their SITCOM category. Mebbe I'll poise the same question to PAGE. Because if their category is JUST FOR SITCOMS, they'd be looking for a 3-camera, double-spaced format versus a conventional one-cam format which is what "Entourage" uses. Now...TrackingB's TV Pilot contest took all comers rather then fiddling with one-hour drama, mini-series, SITCOM, 30-min dramedy, etc. categories which made the entry there a K.I.S.S. breeze.

Comment

Originally posted by YakMan View Post
                              What's interesting about the PAGE and AUSTIN TV pilot categories is that their 30-minute format only lists SITCOMS. This completely ignores one-camera comedies like, um, lesssee, oh yeah, "Entourage." Now to Asutin's credit, they did say they would accept the one-camera under their SITCOM category. Mebbe I'll poise the same question to PAGE. Because if their category is JUST FOR SITCOMS, they'd be looking for a 3-camera, double-spaced format versus a conventional one-cam format which is what "Entourage" uses. Now...TrackingB's TV Pilot contest took all comers rather then fiddling with one-hour drama, mini-series, SITCOM, 30-min dramedy, etc. categories which made the entry there a K.I.S.S. breeze.
                              I don't think anyone demands multi-cam shows, a lot of single-cam shows are "sitcoms" i.e. 'Sunny in Philadelphia,' '30 Rock,' the late 'Scrubs.' I really think it basically means any 30 min comedy show.

Comment

Working...
                              X