No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about submitting original pilots to contests

Na
    Last edited by earthbound88; 05-07-2015, 09:51 PM.

Re: Questions about submitting original pilots to contests

Welcome to the board, earthbound!

Originally posted by earthbound88 View Post
    1. I know that sitcom pilots are usually going to be judged based on how funny they are. So do you think that a dramedy type of show like Weeds or Nurse Jackie has a chance in a contest for "sitcom pilots."

2. If a contest says it'll take a television pilot of any length, would a two hour pilot, although eligible for submission, be at a disadvantage?
    #1 - I'm not aware of any TV pilot contests for sitcoms only. However, I had a half hour dramedy that reached 3rd place in the Acclaim TV contest.

#2 - I'm not aware of any Teleplay contests that don't put a page limit on submissions. The ones I've entered give a 60 page limit. If you can find one that doesn't have a limit - go for it! But I do think you would be at an extreme disadvantage unless the thing is just totally brilliant. Any reader in a teleplay contest (who has a pile of scripts to read) who sees a 60+ page script is automatically gonna be annoyed and hold that against you...
    www.cheapskate-a-holic.com Release your inner cheapskate!!

Comment

Re: Questions about submitting original pilots to contests

the Fox/NYTVF Contest is for comedy pilots only

http://nytvf.com/2011_fox_contest.htm

i would neither write a two-hour pilot nor submit one to a contest. for unproduced writers, that spec pilot is more likely to be used as a writing sample for staffing purposes. i'm not going to ask a showrunner to read a two hour script, aside from the issue of showing that you can execute establishing a series concept in one hour. but that's just me.

Comment

Working...
      X