No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lynda Heys - Slaying the Dragon

Hi guys,

There is a two day seminar 'Lynda Heys - Slaying the Dragon' coming up in Sydney. Apparently it's the same one that's been running in L.A. Has anyone an experience of it? What did you think?

If I go it's two days off work - so I'm not just going to go on a whim. (Even if it is free)

Is she a good teacher? Are the skills she teaches useful? How is it different to other classes?

I'm a bit wary of going because her bio raves about her experience ... but this was directing an incredibly badly done low-budget film a decade ago. It was a typical 'school jock wants to be a dancer' story. From memory the main character was obviously acted by a guy who was about 35 year old - but he was meant to be a teenager ..... this sadly wasn't the worst of the film's problems.

However even if she hasn't been credited with any successful films I'd be happy to go if she's a good teacher and the skills are useful.

Any comments on her seminar?

Mac
    Last edited by Mac H.; 04-03-2011, 10:53 PM.
    New blogposts:
    *Followup - Seeking Investors in all the wrong places
    *Preselling your film - Learning from the Experts
    *Getting your indie film onto iTunes
    *Case Study - Estimating Film profits

Re: Lynda Heys - Slaying the Dragon

what do you think you need to learn -- or that she could teach assuming you know what you need to learn -- that this seminar is going to provide?

Comment

Well - clearly I need to learn.

It would be bizarre if I were to have 100% understanding of every part of screenwriting. Mind you - I might just be the millionth monkey who happens to have Shakespeare in front of me just by poking my furry little paws at the typewriter keys. It's possible .. but somehow I doubt it.

Due to the Dunning-Kruger effect I can't even be sure what my blind spots are - so it would be mad of me to turn down a free course ... if it is worth the time.

Mac
      New blogposts:
      *Followup - Seeking Investors in all the wrong places
      *Preselling your film - Learning from the Experts
      *Getting your indie film onto iTunes
      *Case Study - Estimating Film profits

Comment

i just took a peek at her profile. she's directing a new movie called Swell - sound like a surfing flick.

it's not really free is you must take off from work but i get you're point.
        anyhoo - b/c of the Dunning-Kruger effect i don't think you should even bother asking people their opinion of her. you're already planning to go. go with a clear conscious so you're open to whatever she can help you with.

it is not possible to have 100% clear understanding of screenwriting b/c the success is not measured or valued by the writing alone.

Comment

Working...
        X