Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Austin Film Festival Dark Hero Sci-Fi Contest

Regarding the Austin Film Festival Screenplay Competition, does anyone have any experience or thoughts about the Dark Hero Studios Sci-Fi Award? Basically if you have a sci-fi, fantasy, horror script, you can enter it in the regular contest (Drama/Comedy) and for $20 additional dollars have it also considered for the Dark Hero Sci-Fi award.

I'm wondering if this means the script will be read at least twice - once for the regular (drama/comedy) portion of the contest and then again for the Dark Hero Sci-Fi portion. Or does it mean that if the drama/comedy readers thinks your script sucks, they don't even bother reading it for the Dark Hero award and your $20 bucks goes down the drain. Does anyone know?

Why doesn't AFF just add a Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Horror category and be done with it? But then again, they wouldn't be able to squeeze an extra $20 out of us... hmmm guess I answered that question.
    www.cheapskate-a-holic.com Release your inner cheapskate!!

Re: Austin Film Festival Dark Hero Sci-Fi Contest

Austin accepts Sci Fi scripts? All i saw on their website were applications for Drama/Comedy... Drama/Comedy...

Pretty misleading. How are newcomers supposed to know that you can submit scripts of any genre for the Drama/Comedy competition?

Comment

The information is here:

http://www.austinfilmfestival.com/new/screenplay

It sounds like an interesting thing to have a more open kind of screenwriting contest.

I have heard a lot of good things about the AFF and I may consider entering it this year. Having David Hayter (someone who is fairly conversant about -- and creator within -- the sci-fi genre) on board gives me a lot of confidence that a sci-fi/fantasy/horror script will be judged on its merits for the kind of story it is.

This is only a good thing for screenwriters who enjoy creating sci-fi worlds.

CBW

Comment

Originally posted by Goliath View Post
        Austin accepts Sci Fi scripts? All i saw on their website were applications for Drama/Comedy... Drama/Comedy...

Pretty misleading. How are newcomers supposed to know that you can submit scripts of any genre for the Drama/Comedy competition?
        Not to sound like a d**k or anything, but if you go to their website, it's kinda hard to miss . . . it's mentioned in several places, including the submission form. I would hardly characterize it as "misleading."

Comment

Originally posted by Goliath View Post
          I had a hard time finding where it gives the various genres included in the "drama" or "comedy" categories.

I couldn't find it on the main SWing "intro" page linked above, or the rules/regulations page. I could only find that info on the 2 entry forms.

From their online submission form:
          Drama (historical, western, drama, family, romance, horror, thriller, etc.)
          Comedy (dark, satirical, slapstick, etc.)

FYI, for anyone thinking of entering: There is an additional $5 fee for online submissions.

I might enter if I can get my latest project finished in time-- tho I'm not really sure what the PRIZE is.

"Trust your stuff." -- Dave Righetti, Pitching Coach

( Formerly "stvnlra" )

Comment

Everything about the contest and its categories can be found on this Done Deal site: Home Page; Left Column; CONTESTS; then 'A' for Austin.

Comment

Wow. Why 20 dollars more for Sci Fi? Of course it would depend on the script but I think most Sci Fi/Horror pictures would be easier to read than your average Drama.

Comment

Originally posted by Archduke View Post
                Wow. Why 20 dollars more for Sci Fi? Of course it would depend on the script but I think most Sci Fi/Horror pictures would be easier to read than your average Drama.
                Probably because it's kind of a niche genre for a spec, so not only are competitions for it going to be harder to find, but it would be easier to win this category because of the number of entrants compared to the drama.

Comment

Originally posted by TheConnorNoden View Post
                  Probably because it's kind of a niche genre for a spec, so not only are competitions for it going to be harder to find, but it would be easier to win this category because of the number of entrants compared to the drama.
                  Bingo. The sci-fi "track" is really a separate contest from the main contest (drama or comedy). Usually about 700+ scripts enter in sci-fi vs. 4,000+ for the main contest.

I've SF'd in sci-fi with the same script that didn't advance in the main drama contest. You get one letter saying "better luck next year" for the main contest, then get another one that says "Congratulations!" from sci-fi.

Not sure why you have to enter the main contest and do sci-fi as an add-on, but that's the way it's been for years.

Comment

Originally posted by JKB View Post
                    The sci-fi "track" is really a separate contest from the main contest... I've SF'd in sci-fi with the same script that didn't advance in the main drama contest. You get one letter saying "better luck next year" for the main contest, then get another one that says "Congratulations!" from sci-fi.
                    Cool, so that means we get at least 2 reads for the extra $20 bucks we pay. Also, we could conceivably win twice - once for the comedy/drama and then again for the dark hero sci-fi. Thanks for answering my question!
                    www.cheapskate-a-holic.com Release your inner cheapskate!!

Comment

It's my understanding the separate contests are in honor of someone, or represent a donation made to the festival for that purpose; they are apart from the festival's regular competitions, but in some cases they merge them for ease in judging purposes. They make a special award and presentation, different from the other categories.

I know of one film festival where money was bequeathed to the group for the sole purpose of yearly awarding a specific genre of screenplay, which could be what Austin's separate competitions are about. Perhaps some writer got their start with Austin and wishes to show appreciation with the donation or bequest.

Comment

Originally posted by meemee2000 View Post
                        Cool, so that means we get at least 2 reads for the extra $20 bucks we pay. Also, we could conceivably win twice - once for the comedy/drama and then again for the dark hero sci-fi. Thanks for answering my question!
                        No problem, Meemee. Good luck!

And Scriptonian may be right. I have no idea why Austin singles out sci-fi for special attention, but they've done it for years. It didn't occur to me ask why.

And FWIW, the "Dark Hero" thing is new. In years past, it was just the "sci-fi category" with its own prize, but no company, names or brand behind it.

If the goal of these contests is to get attention from real industry people, I'd think this new thing is a good sign. If you advance, you'll get read by people who could do something for you.

Comment

Working...
                        X