No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Virtual pitch fest question

Thanks for the feedback.

NikeeGoddess , it was the combo of no company email and no release form that really got me, but I guess they're being lazy (or unprofessional).

Thanks for making that point catcon, well done for not signing that one!

As for what discrazy wrote, the VPF multi-deal sales are great but yeah it would help a lot if VPF kept the product/agent/manager profiles up-to-date with what they want now, as opposed to what they wanted 6+ months ago.

Comment

Originally posted by catcon View Post
      I wrote VPF to suggest they could avoid this by getting everyone to sign a release like they do at the live pitchfests eg. Screenwriting Expo, and having their producer sign-ons agree to that. I've not received a reply to my helpful idea. VPF won't do anything till there are a lot of complaints or business starts to die off, I guess.
      The Release Form you advocate used by Screenwriting Expo is stacked against you in holding them and their employees harmless. They're a middle man bringing you together with producers and others; you don't know who or how many of their employees have access to your script. Worse, it requires Arbitration in all legal actions, which IS legally binding, and which is okay as the arbitrator must be a knowledgeable someone with industry experience - BUT the arbitration itself (like a trial) must be conducted in Los Angelos. The American Arbitration Association provides for an agreed upon location for arbitration. Here you've waived rights afforded to you under AAA guidelines. Not always easy to get to L.A.

I wouldn't recommend use of this Release Form to anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Scriptonian View Post
        The Release Form you advocate used by Screenwriting Expo is stacked against you in holding them and their employees harmless. They're a middle man bringing you together with producers and others; you don't know who or how many of their employees have access to your script. Worse, it requires Arbitration in all legal actions, which IS legally binding, and which is okay as the arbitrator must be a knowledgeable someone with industry experience - BUT the arbitration itself (like a trial) must be conducted in Los Angelos. The American Arbitration Association provides for an agreed upon location for arbitration. Here you've waived rights afforded to you under AAA guidelines. Not always easy to get to L.A.

I wouldn't recommend use of this Release Form to anyone.
        You may be right. I've never read the Expo release. I wasn't recommending it (merely an example) but was suggesting it as a way to get around there potentially being 300 different releases (that's how many prods/agents/managers VPF has signed). Our lawyers can go over 300 different releases, or 1 generic release that all VPF writer clients and rep clients agree to sign, in order to do the VPF thing.

On the other hand, the criticisms you make do seem to ring from every darn release I've ever signed. Certainly, the "other side" makes it difficult to even consider suing for plagiarism.

It is also true that every one of the hundreds (thousands?) of those who attend this particular Expo pitchfest are going to sign that release; it's mandatory. Are they all daffy? I think it's really part of doing this business.

Comment

don't make so many assumptions
          Originally posted by Presto View Post
          Thanks for the feedback.

NikeeGoddess , it was the combo of no company email and no release form that really got me, but I guess they're being lazy (or unprofessional).
          how can having a separate email for VPF be unprofessional or lazy? it's smart! they're under some obligation to respond to the queries so if your VPF query gets lost in their general email address (usually opened by an assistant or intern) then they can't fulfill their promise. don't you get that?
          and some smaller companies don't have releases. almost no one makes you sign a release at the great american pitchfest which is face to face pitching.

Comment

I have tried using them but to be honest I'm not sure of the quality of their industry pros. They are people that work for said companies but at what level?

I spend a couple of hundred bucks, go a few requests to read but lead nowhere. Now I know that could simply be because the script isn't any good, but...

I just feel it's a cleaver little site for raking in cash. Sign a few low level office execs at said companies and allow pitches to be sent, most of the replies I received are we have something similar. Checking the said companies they haven't in the past or have anything in the future on imdb pro. Also could be a great way to cherry pick concepts and ideas without passing on gain to pitchers. (I know that could happen at any pitch fest).

Of the few people that read and liked, they promised notes and help but nothing ever came of it. So I was just left with the nagging feeling I was wasting money that would be better spent on contests or coverage...
            Writing bio: http://seanryanmovies.blogspot.ie/2012/09/my-bio.html

Comment

I'm late to this thread. But I would say to skip VPF and save your money. Roll up your sleeves and do the work yourself. There's no shortcut to it. Use the various resources like imdb and Done Deal to identify and target producers that that make most sense for your genre/screenplay. VPF and similar services today are a dime a dozen; the real decision makers don't take them seriously. Good luck all.

Comment

Working...
              X