No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PAGE Awards reader line of day:

Here we go:

"The description here is right where it needs to be—spare, direct, and vivid. Words aren't wasted, making script a fast read that nonetheless paints clear pictures in our minds."
    Last edited by _M_; 09-01-2011, 08:43 AM.

Re: PAGE Awards reader line of day:

Judge writes:

"You always want a reader to feel they're reading the work of a writer who cares about their work. Your screenplay feels that way."

*** The comments are taken verbatim from the PAGE Awards Twitter page: http://twitter.com/PAGEawards ***

Comment

I just gotta say that the Page comments are vastly inferior to the Nicholl comments (I've been following Page on Twitter). Looks like Page is trying to tell us how to write a screenplay, as opposed to what their readers/judges actually thought about what they just read.

HH

Comment

"This script is great. It delivers fresh twists, memorable characters, and a poignant theme. It surprises me the writer didn't submit this to the Nicholl instead."

Comment

Harold,

I was emailed about your response and I felt compelled to respond directly, as this is a very unfortunate and unfair comparison.

Two years ago we came up with the original idea of publicly posting some of the comments from our Judges about our entries. We felt it would be interesting and informative for our contestants to see what the Judges are saying about your scripts. The idea seems to have (ahem)... caught on. I won't comment further about that, but you can perhaps imagine my thoughts.

At this early stage of our contest, Zoe is posting remarks that are coming from our Round One Judge's Feedback. These are the notes that are being sent directly to our contestants, the majority of whom will not advance, and they are indeed designed to help teach people how to write a better screenplay. Many of these little tidbits could be applied to many of the scripts submitted to the contest, so we thought they might prove interesting and thought-provoking to other writers, as well. And the response we hear about these tweets has generally been very positive.

However, as we advance to the higher rounds of competition later this summer, as she has done for the past two years, Zoe will start posting comments that come straight from the Judge's scorecards. Those will listed by genre category, as well, so if for example, you have an Action/Adventure script in the Semi-Finals, you'll know that there's a one in 25 chance the Judge is talking about your script. I suspect those tweets will be more to your liking.

I hope that helps clarify the situation.

Sincerely yours,
          Jennifer Berg
          Administrative Director
          The 2011 PAGE International
          Screenwriting Awards

Comment

Someone ratted me out? I gotta go on the run now...

In all seriousness, Jennifer, I appreciate your input and response, but I'll stick to my guns here and say that the Twitter comments from Page are, at best, pedantic. And maybe that's fine since, as you said, the current spate of comments are going directly to the contestants, but...BUT...

Examples:

#3:Not every movie needs to be deep discussion of human condition. But art, including cinema, is at core a reflection of human experience.

#4: Theme can't take hold if characters not fully developed. Theme directly tied to character growth. Ask what protag learns by Act 3 end.

#7: Remember that the pilot is teaser for the series-reshape to clearly set up dramatic entertaining events that are just around corner...The reader should finish the script wishing he/she had the next episode in hand!

#11: The basic point of a plot is for a protagonist to be active about their central conflict and achieve some kind of evolution with it.

Etc.

The above are not groundbreaking sentiments, and maybe they do need to be said for some individuals, but still...the comments do nothing to indicate any particular script, or any sense of anything, quite frankly, about a particular script. Compared to the Nicholl comments, they state the obvious and give no sense that the judges/readers are doing anything other than teaching a class.

I don't think my opinion is "unfortunate" or "unfair". It's just an opinion, and quite possibly a minority one, but the differences between the Nicholl and Page contest comments are striking, to say the least.

I do look forward to the future comments, though, and hope that they give a sense of the excitement that the readers/judges are feeling when they get to a script that moves them.

HH

Comment

As a former first-round PAGE judge, I read only scripts that requested Judge's Feedback. I can tell you first-hand that 95-99% of those scripts were beginning writers or foreign writers with an unsteady grasp of the English language. These are people who are usually seeking basic writing advice, not profundity. These are people who not only haven't mastered the three-act structure, but might not even realize it exists. My guess is that PAGE is tweeting a lot of Judge's comments that speak to those people and scripts. I was told by PAGE to write instructive comments, to give them feedback that would help them as writers for not just this script but future scripts.

As you are an advanced writer, or so I presume, you're frustrated by those kinds of comments, but believe me, a lot of entrants need very basic tenets recited to them, again and again. I don't think PAGE pretends to be the Nicholl, so comparing them seems sort of a waste of time.

Comment

What onthecusp says is very true. (I'm curious who you are. Please PM me!)

Harold, it's not your opinion that's unfortunate and unfair, but rather the comparison. As I explained, these tweets are not the same thing as the Nicholl is currently posting. We'll do that later.

What the Judges are attempting to do when they write their notes IS to teach these writers something about screenwriting. We do not pretend that these are particularly "groundbreaking" sentiments -- simply something that many writers need to hear. Also, please remember that Zoe is working within a very limited form trying to squeeze the Judges' remarks into 140 word tweets, so you're not seeing anywhere near the detail you'd read in the actual Feedback.

But if these types of comments are not of interest or are not relevant to you, no worries! You'll be reading the specific critiques and raves soon enough.

Comment

i think it's important that you say (on the site) these are only comments from writers who've asked for feedback... and want to be "taught" something by judges (like you suggest).

most people are looking for comments that may identify their script so general comments that can be applied to the masses will be frustrating... and if one didn't ask for feedback then they won't be looking.

Comment

I adore Page (especially since they gave me money last year) but these generic comments just aren't any fun to read.

Bring back the fortune cookies so I can think they're all about mine!
                    "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

I hear you, Lauri. I realize that some of you guys don't like the type of Feedback notes we're posting right now. But let me share with you a few of the email messages Zoe has received over the past few days:
                      "I don't post on message boards for many reasons, but I do read them. I don't agree with the negative comments on Done Deal regarding contest feedback. I appreciate ALL of the readers' comments. Although I have written lots of scripts, I still remind myself in my notes not to forget basic things. There are so many puzzle pieces, it's easy to forget. I usually make a list of essentials for a great script -- surprises, twists, what is the main character desperate to get, etc. So keep posting please. Because I really appreciate the daily reminders about what makes a good script great.-

"Just so you know, I'm taking every quote from your judges words of wisdom and taking a better look at my script.-

"I am taking your twitter comments to heart and checking everything twice, like a list by Santa.-

I agree that fortune cookies are a lot of fun! And I know every writer likes to imagine that the Judges are praising your screenplay behind the scenes. That's totally understandable. But the reality is, those rave reviews apply to only a very small percentage of the entries we receive. At this early stage of the contest, the majority of scripts are not receiving rave reviews, and the majority of contestants still have a lot to learn.

So while that rave review you read applies to only one script -- and in truth, it's a long shot that it's yours -- when Zoe posts a comment talking about how "numerous long speeches slow the pacing of a script,- that note applies to HUNDREDS of submissions. And if even a few writers take that note to heart and re-examine their screenplays with that in mind, we've done them a real service, rather than just giving them a momentary fantasy.

It's good to keep an open mind. Consider today's post:
                      "Cool visuals are fine, but it's the more shallow route. Don't just plug in Hero's Journey beats and call it a day... Why are YOU compelled to tell us this story? What personal can you bring to the table?-
                      That could apply to quite a few screenplays I've read, particularly action and sci-fi scripts. Could it possibly apply to your script? Maybe not. But it's worth taking a moment to consider. I've found that the very best writers are constantly re-examining their work and always striving to improve.

But I know all of this probably won't change your mind, so please just be a little patient with us! I promise we'll post the type of comments you're looking for later on in the process, at a point when the scripts still in contention are the best of the best, and you'll know there's a very good chance those rave reviews could belong to you.

Meanwhile, if you're looking for a fortune cookie, it appears someone else is providing that for you.

Best regards,
                      Jen

Comment

Jen -

Don't even feel like you need to defend the way Page is doing their comments. We all love the Page Competition. Page and Nicholl are both great in their own individual respects. Nothing said was really intended in a derogatory way. We just needed clarification. Nicholl is feeding us Twinkies for dinner. You just want the little kids to eat Broccoli before dessert. Cheers!
                        "The Hollywood film business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson

Comment

LOL!! Thanks, cshel.

Broccoli it is...

Comment

Originally posted by cshel View Post
                            Jen -

Don't even feel like you need to defend the way Page is doing their comments. We all love the Page Competition. Page and Nicholl are both great in their own individual respects. Nothing said was really intended in a derogatory way. We just needed clarification. Nicholl is feeding us Twinkies for dinner. You just want the little kids to eat Broccoli before dessert. Cheers!
                            Tee, hee -- very true.

We want fantasy, not cold, hard facts.

Maybe we could have some of both??
                            "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

When is second round? Didn't they used to send that email? If so, oops. Didn't make it.

Comment

Working...
                              X