X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• InkTip Pitch & Networking Summit

Has anyone attended this?

http://www.inktippitchsummit.com/

Does it seem like it would be worth it? If I were to attend I'd do the $350.

When you are at a pitchfest - how do you make sure you get to pitch to the companies you're interested in? I can already see a few that I don't think necessarily would be strong choices for most writers.

I've mostly made my contacts through query letters so far and have stayed away from pitchfests but I'm wondering if I should try one.

Re: InkTip Pitch & Networking Summit

Originally posted by mafalda View Post

When you are at a pitchfest - how do you make sure you get to pitch to the companies you're interested in? I can already see a few that I don't think necessarily would be strong choices for most writers.

I've mostly made my contacts through query letters so far and have stayed away from pitchfests but I'm wondering if I should try one.
    $350 and it says 30 possible pitches. $350 could buy you nearly 50 email pitches with guaranteed response at VirtualPitchFest. Or $350 could sit in your bank and you can email pitch-for free.

If face-to-face is your strong suit, then go for it. For most who aren't in-town, it's not an option.

But it's a steep price, if you're not getting some free seminars and lots of free food.

Oh, there's some free muffins in the back of the conference room?! Okay, that changes everything then!

As for VPF or email or even these pitchfests, always watch out for some of the releases. Damn! Check this one out from Sentinel Pictures:

8(c) That in no event shall I assert against you, your affiliates,
    subsidiaries, licensees, assigns, officers, agents or employees any claim or
    action based on plagiarism, idea theft, infringement, confidential
    relationship, implied contract, unfair competition or any other theory
    arising out of your examination of the Project or any alleged use or
    exploitation by you of the Project or any elements of the Project.
    The ones from (most of?) the fests may be better, because you sign one for the whole community. VPF should do that, too.

Comment

Originally posted by mafalda View Post

i haven't attending this one yet but it's very similar to the great american pitchfest.

it's definitely worth being face to face with producers, managers, agents, and show runners; back and forth conversation and advice. you know immediately why they love your idea, hate it, or whether it's not for them. and you can adjust your pitch accordingly so by the end of the day you should feel satisfied.

each industry representative should announce what they're looking for. that's how you know who to pitch to. and at this event they group 2 or 3 reps from different companies (looking for the same material) at the same table. ie - you can pitch 15 times in a day and hit 35 companies.

make sure you prepare a "one-sheet" (your written pitch and contact info) to leave behind.

Comment

Get a manager/agent. Then pitching is free, and you won't have to be herded like cattle for 30 seconds of someone's time.

Comment

there will be managers and agents at the pitchfest.

Comment

Thank you all for the input - and Nikee thx for explaining more more how it works. I need to think about it in the next 30 hrs or so.

Originally posted by catcon View Post
            $350 and it says 30 possible pitches. $350 could buy you nearly 50 email pitches with guaranteed response at VirtualPitchFest. Or $350 could sit in your bank and you can email pitch-for free.

If face-to-face is your strong suit, then go for it. For most who aren't in-town, it's not an option.

But it's a steep price, if you're not getting some free seminars and lots of free food.

Oh, there's some free muffins in the back of the conference room?! Okay, that changes everything then!
            hey! there are free cocktails. I'm local so I don't have the travel expenses, but I am on a strict budget so yeah it's a lot to think about. (& of course even I wasn't so strapped I still would want to research its use)

Originally posted by MCuk View Post
            Get a manager/agent. Then pitching is free, and you won't have to be herded like cattle for 30 seconds of someone's time.
            I'm working on this too! and have some contacts but as I have nothing solid yet - it's good for me to keep examining opportunities. I agree, I don't like how these type of events sometimes make you feel (I've been to them more as an actor - that's why I want to research this as best I can.)

Comment

30 pitches is way too many to do in a day. I've done four 10-minute pitches in an afternoon and was pretty exhausted. I met a guy who was planning to do 25 that day. Half way through the day, he was a babbling idiot. I wouldn't dare do more than 10 in one day. Besides, if you have a good idea and you choose your pitchees wisely, you'll see success (request for a read) from within the 10 (or 3 out of the 4 in my case).
              www.cheapskate-a-holic.com Release your inner cheapskate!!

Comment

Originally posted by meemee2000 View Post
                30 pitches is way too many to do in a day. I've done four 10-minute pitches in an afternoon and was pretty exhausted. I met a guy who was planning to do 25 that day. Half way through the day, he was a babbling idiot. I wouldn't dare do more than 10 in one day. Besides, if you have a good idea and you choose your pitchees wisely, you'll see success (request for a read) from within the 10 (or 3 out of the 4 in my case).
                I was going to say this but didn't want to burst any bubbles. I've never done it, but I did something resembling what the other side does. That is, I sat at a booth for 8 hours and it was excruciating, having visitor after visitor; I can only imagine trying to do 30 pitches of the same thing, over and over. Maybe if you have a writing partner and get to take a break.

Comment

I wouldn't attend this if it were free. These pay-to-pitch events are a huge waste of time and money IMO. If I were unable to get repped, I'd spend my time honing my craft until my material reached that level and stay away from the cottage industry that feeds on desperate amateurs.

Comment

Another thing I want to mention is that you have to be clear what your goal is coming into these things. If your goal is to actually sell a project, then chances are you're going to be highly disappointed and you will find these pitch summits a waste of time. Whenever I do these pitch things, the sole purpose is to gain a future contact. This is a grand opportunity to ask them face to face "what are you looking for?" Maybe they want a script with only 2 locations, or maybe they are starting to want to do more Lifetime movies so they want someone with a woman's point of view.

Success to me is if they give me their contact info and request to read a script. If they end up buying it, great! If they don't, then maybe they'll be willing to read future projects that may be more in line with what they're looking for. Plus, this way, I am able to pitch to them in the future (to an actual real person as opposed to some catchall query address) for free. Networking and building relationships with industry folks is really key here.

Good luck!
                    www.cheapskate-a-holic.com Release your inner cheapskate!!

Comment

I've never attended but what I've read is that there were a tremendous amount of successes from last year's event.

This is only their second year but apparently there were quite a few complaints especially about how it operated. Apparently, they've worked out the problems for this year. Google Jerrol Lebron or Inktip Pitchfest for interviews about this.

Good luck.

Comment

I appreciate all the varied replies; they've helped both sort out my thoughts and prepare me; even though now I've decided on volunteering so I won't be directly part of the pitch process.

It looks like there was a thread about the one last year (which I did try to find before starting a new one) so now we know how you can pitch to so many people in a day - b/c of the clumping method you could pitch only 10 times but pitch to 30 people possibly.

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ad.php?t=57885

Comment

Originally posted by discrazy View Post
                          I've never attended but what I've read is that there were a tremendous amount of successes from last year's event.
                          Can you list those success stories...I'd like to hear about them.

Comment

Working...
                          X