Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My Page Awards "Success" Story.

Harbinger, even your own manager read it and loved it.

Comment

Originally posted by MCuk View Post
      Hey, I never said it wasn't a good script. I asked the question, intimated even (not unlike yourself), but I didn't specifically say it wasn't good. Only that to accuse PAGE because it didn't advance was arrogant. And the manner in which you did it, offensive (especially to me in that I was raised in single parent household).

But I read your Low English sample, and whilst not much happened, it demonstrated a pretty natural writing style. Not to mention the subject matter of the kind of Brit-gangster stuff I like (being a Brit myself).

You just have to reel in that attitude a bit. 50% of your posts have a snarky tone and it'll do you no favors in the long run. But good luck with the assignment. I genuinely meant that. In spite of how you come across here.
      Last edited by Harbinger; 07-20-2011, 06:03 AM.

Comment

But...

Comment

Not like, not think it's great, but LOVED it. It also led to a ton of meetings, phone calls, and Skype sessions.
          here's the thing... you could have a script they love but if they don't love you then they won't work with you. those tons of meetings and such must speak volumes. it might be that most of the industry folks are from iowa or some other non-industry state and you insulted them without knowing. oh well! it happens.

my guess is with you insulting question to the page contest administrator (who stepped in here to answer questions) was what got you quietly booted from the contest.
          Last edited by NikeeGoddess; 07-20-2011, 05:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
            my guess is with you insulting question to the page contest administrator (who stepped in here to answer questions) was what got you quietly booted from the contest.
            I'm not sure if you're being serious or not, but that in and of itself is insulting. You're saying that Page kicked him/her out of the contest because they didn't like his/her question?

I doubt it.

HH

Comment

the was suppose to make that comment facetious... but i was also trying to make a point that one might insult a potential manager, agent, or producer with an iowa comment where they grew up.

Comment

Frankly, a single mom from Iowa who would be reading scripts likely would've have gone through Iowa's top-notch writing program.

Comment

Since he loved it so much, I'm assuming he signed you?

Comment

That's convinced me, Bobby. I'm gonna grow a mustache and HTFU.

HH

Comment

It definitely is who you get as a reader. Look at reviews on Rotten Tomatoes and Netflix. See how many people loved a certain movie and other people absolutely hated the same movie. Comedy especially is very subjective. Also, look at how many of the winners of contests actually get produced ... a small percentage. And some of those produced contest winners end up not getting great reviews by critics (although that could also be due to any number of factors during production).

IMHO, all scripts in contests should be read by at least two different readers. If the two scores vary dramatically, then it should be read a third time. I just feel like there are probably great scripts that do get passed on. This also keeps the readers honest with their reviews because perhaps there are times when a reader skims through a script instead of reading it through properly. How can they tell if a reader is any good? Just by the coverage? You can fake coverage. I know this change won't happen with most contests because it takes too much time and costs too much money.

One thing I will say about Page is that I don't think the short film and TV scripts should be in the same contest as the feature length. I know we're not supposed to enter a contest for the prize money, but let's be honest ... a 23 page short script most likely won't win the big $$ prize. And if it did ... a lot of feature film writers would probably be upset. If it were a separate contest, then the entrance fee for those scripts could also be lowered and I bet more people would enter their shorts or TV pilot scripts.

That was slightly off topic, but yeah ... Congrats on the sale.

Comment

Originally posted by jcgary View Post
                        (No reader worth sht cares about genre. If they're that unprofessional, then the contest is a joke from the start. The reader-doesn't-like-genre thing is an excuse peddled by screenwriters who get bad coverage. "Well, she just doesn't like action scripts." Really, really, trust me: that's not it. Your script just isn't that good.)
                        If there really are readers so self-deluded that they think personal preferences (and prejudices) don't affect their ability to judge the merits of a script, then I wouldn't trust their opinion even on a genre they do like. Sure, they can probably spot the real turkeys in any genre - things that are just badly written. But the good from the merely competent? No. People should have personal responses to a work - they should get angry, frightened, excited, amused, heartbroken. That's part of the experience. But what people respond to will vary. I cannot judge horror movies because I don't respond to them (at least, not how the writer intends). I can't judge action scripts. What would I do? Say to myself 'if I were the sort of person who liked action films I would be excited by this even though it strike me as banal' (like most of the action movies I've seen)? Action movies and scripts don't do anything for me. The problem's with me, not the script. But at least I know that.

Comment

I gotta' say, I agree with Harbinger. The tone of the original post is snarky and "sour grapes" and really pretty insulting...we get that you meant the single mom reference to mean someone who knows nothing about screenwriting, but you'd be surprised how many really talented writers (who need to earn $$$) live in podunk places because they are struggling writers that can't afford to live in LA. Contests are like a crap shoot -- you didn't complete a calculus exam where the answers are graded against the answer sheet. So going into a contest you've got to realize it's totally subjective. If you're going to enter one, realize you send the submission in and forget about it. There are no guarantees in life. It's totally dependent on who reads your work. And truly, no offense to those that place in contests, but how many contest winners are turning out to be working writers? Apples and oranges in a lot of cases. I'm writing a script this summer that I'm sending out to a handful of contests that I know it will be more appropriate for and where it will have a higher chance of placing -- and a greater chance of return on my time investment. Is it commercial? NO. Is it strong writing? From feedback, it appears to be. But I would only use it as a writing sample and not send out queries on it because I know it's not likely to attract anyone's attention in this market. So my point is, know what you're writing for. You got a deal going with this script you mentioned. Congrats. Focus on the positive and steer way clear of the negative as you seem to be wanting to do. But then if you truly believe that you don't want to give anyone else a leg up that could be vying for the same writing assignments as you....then advice to you is useless. Oh, and you didn't ask for my $.02 but maybe it will at least help to file your fangs down a little. Remember, this business is pretty small....and if you want to network, best to keep the snarkiness in check.

Comment

Sandra Bullock is a single mom. Ya think maybe she's one of the readers? Cool!

Comment

Originally posted by jeannie517 View Post
                              And truly, no offense to those that place in contests, but how many contest winners are turning out to be working writers? Apples and oranges in a lot of cases.
                              Well said. I mean, the whole thing, but especially the quote above. Go to moviebytes and you'll see interviews with winners of contests, then look at their "accomplishments" and you'll see a LOT of contests that the writer placed or won, but still struggle to land a rep.

Contests are one way in, but it appears that a lot of people seem to make a career out of entering as many as they can, trying to be that big fish in the small pond. And they never seem to leave that pond.

HH

Comment

Actually, single mom in Iowa comments aside, I was kind of surprised everyone was tearing apart what the original poster had said. It seems like he/she wrote a good script, got it optioned and the point is contest/schmontest. For him, he was successful anyway. It's hope for anyone who gets a disappointing letter from Mr. Beal et al.

Comment

Working...
                                X