Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My Page Awards "Success" Story.

Assuming it's true, I think if this story illustrates anything it's that it's just a matter of getting the right script into the right hands...

Comment

One thing consistent with all the writers I hang out with...no one bothers saying people LOVED their script unless there is business attached to it.

Seriously, this isn't a slam at all, but people will hate your script and tell you they loved it. People will read only the coverage on your script and tell you they loved it. If they're not trying to do anything with it or you, the opinion doesn't matter. If someone says, "I loved your script, not right for this company, but we have an assignment you'd be perfect for..." that's love.

Sounds like the script is good and got you meetings but do your best to ignore people who "love" your work and pass. I used to believe that sh!t too when I was just starting out. Means nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by BattleDolphinZero View Post
        One thing consistent with all the writers I hang out with...no one bothers saying people LOVED their script unless there is business attached to it.

Seriously, this isn't a slam at all, but people will hate your script and tell you they loved it. People will read only the coverage on your script and tell you they loved it. If they're not trying to do anything with it or you, the opinion doesn't matter. If someone says, "I loved your script, not right for this company, but we have an assignment you'd be perfect for..." that's love.

Sounds like the script is good and got you meetings but do your best to ignore people who "love" your work and pass. I used to believe that sh!t too when I was just starting out. Means nothing.
        Yep. If people really "love" your material, they will stalk you until they can take a position on the project. If they don't go after you, then they are blowing smoke up your ass.

If a manager reads it and the say they love it but they don't express interest in signing you...they didn't love it.

I was talking to a writer who told me that an agent at a certain agency told him his script was one of the best scripts she'd read. Yet she didn't sign him, or try to. He refused to believe that the script may not have actually been one of the best scripts she's read. He was an idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by cvolante View Post
          I was kind of surprised everyone was tearing apart what the original poster had said.
          I think the reaction is due to the fact that it seemed like he was putting down the Page contest. Also, the message comes across as being whiny. A lot of us on this board have had really good scripts that didn't place in one or two particular contests for whatever reason so you're not going to see a lot of sympathy from us.
          Last edited by meemee2000; 07-22-2011, 12:59 PM.
          www.cheapskate-a-holic.com Release your inner cheapskate!!

Comment

Agree with what BDZ and SB said -- at least it has been from my limited experience, even if I do live a world's away from Hollywood. I have received lots of "love" for my work over the years, so much so that I've become numb to it and think they're lying. Until they actually work to develop material with me, slip it on to contacts, or put money where their mouths are, it is all smoke blowing.

Reminds me another story from TALES FROM THE SCRIPT where Bruce Joel Rubin, after having written GHOST, walked out of a commissary with some executives that told him, "Bruce, we just want to tell you that your script is the best script we have ever read." Obviously Bruce was blown away by this. A week later, Bruce was walking out of the same commissary and he saw the same executives walking another writer out and he overhead them say to him, "We just wanted to let you know that your script is the best script we have ever read."

It has been said plenty of times that Hollywood is a town where you can die from encouragement.

Comment

Originally posted by Harbinger View Post
              Gotta say MCuk, for someone so new to this forum, you have an almost admirably egregious attitude. Some might even regard it as arrogance. It's gonna really alienate you in a networking, it's-who-you-know industry.

First of all, despite your thinly-veiled, almost passive-aggressive attempt to impugn the reputation of the PAGE contest, they remain one of the best contests out there (second only to Nicholl). And, though you have been successful in I assume optioning your script, I take their verdict over that of this phantom independent producer you mentioned. If your script didn't advance, subjective though it is, maybe it isn't very good.

Either way, that you assume the fact your wonderful opus didn't advance is due to being read by a single mom is not only arrogant beyond belief, but nicely offensive to single moms into the bargain. An upbringing that I spewed forth from.

I also remember a post from you talking of how you wouldn't help anyone or impart wisdom (what a overwhelming loss) on the basis that you don't want to help anyone else get an assignment you may both be vying for in the future. Frankly I can't begin to voice how much that attitude stinks.

Bottom line, you didn't advance because the script didn't click with the qualified reader in this case. As everyone always says, it's entirely subjective. Interesting though that, despite being rejected by Fox and Paramount, you question your rejection by PAGE. I hope your script character logic doesn't match your own in any way.

All that said, I wish you luck with the assignment. I hope, as someone else has mentioned, through the process you learn some humility. Then maybe some day you'll realize that casting libelous barbs about a contest, based on nothing more than hurt pride, is not only juvenile and arrogant in the extreme, but detrimental to how you develop and how others perceive you.

Peace... out.
              Hell yeah!

Comment

A bad script is a bad script. But reader subjectivity can often be the difference between a "meh" script and a "I loved it!" script.

A few years ago, I entered a script in Nicholl and it came back with the "Close... you were in the next 100 before the QFs." So, the script was the in the top ~350 scripts. Not bad. I worked on other projects for the next year, but figured it was worth giving that script another shot. Maybe a QF placement could give it some momentum. Results came in... no QFs. No "next 100." No Top 10%, 15%, or 20%. Nothing. Essentially, that same script went from ~350 all the way past 2200. And I don't think the overall quality of Nicholl went up that much.

And that's Nicholl. A contest I have immense respect for. It's professionalism is beyond reproach.

Also, my script that has the most momentum (optioned and currently in the hands of talent) has never placed in a contest. It's very dark, but it really speaks to some people.

But this all points to the importance of managers and agents. Everyone needs someone who can get our scripts in the RIGHT hands. Someone who knows who is receptive to what, and who is looking for what.

Comment

Working...
                X