Industry Insider Contest

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: Industry Insider Contest

    Originally posted by haroldhecuba View Post
    ...countless interviews with writers that have won or done well in contests, but haven't done anything beyond.
    That' s because contest judges pick stuff based on whimsy (despite what they say)...while producers pick stuff based on commercial appeal (despite what they say) and a cool-ass role for a honkin' big movie star.

    IMO, the movie star role is the acid test for any script. For example, if a producer read SAM, it would be rejected instantly because there are no Asian actors that can open a blockbuster movie in N. America.

    Comment


    • Re: Industry Insider Contest

      Originally posted by jeannie517 View Post
      ...the best way to look at contests is that they give you a deadline which makes most of us keep writing.
      Agreed.

      Comment


      • Re: Industry Insider Contest

        Did anyone else get TWO emails from them listing the results? I just got another one today--a duplicate. Odd.

        Comment


        • Re: Industry Insider Contest

          Originally posted by jeannie517 View Post
          I think the best way to look at contests is that they give you a deadline which makes most of us keep writing. If you're in it for the money, it's probably a better bet to take your entry fee money and buy lottery tickets, and if it's for career advancement, there are only a handful of contests that seem worth entering. The concept of this one looks interesting, but this particular logline was weird to me, so I didn't go for it. Also the mentoring seems like it might be a bit hit and miss. But congrats to everyone for entering and taking a chance, and just keep in mind that it's totally subjective and not necessarily a reflection of your writing ability if you didn't make it this time around. There's always next time....

          Nicely said .

          I had 20+ people read my pages (different genders, ages and races) and had assistance with a script reader - with positive feedback and helpful changes/ideas from 20 out of 21 and still didn't cut the top ten mustard

          As it's been stated -- it's all subjective.

          What I shall take from this experience is that I got started on a draft/script idea that I otherwise might not have ventured into at this time -- I plan on moving forward with mine .

          Comment


          • Re: Industry Insider Contest

            Write the first fifteen pages? And a logline?


            Since I've been told many, many times my second and third acts are my strength, and I can't write a decent logline to save my life...


            I don't think I'm going to be entering this one. LOL



            .

            Comment


            • Re: Industry Insider Contest

              Originally posted by KenRichards View Post
              Write the first fifteen pages? And a logline?


              Since I've been told many, many times my second and third acts are my strength, and I can't write a decent logline to save my life...


              I don't think I'm going to be entering this one. LOL



              .
              The logline is provided. You write the first fifteen pages based on that logline.

              What I like about the contest is it forces you to really concentrate on those first pages. They've got to sparkle and make the reader scream for more. A useful exercise, but not one I'll jump into each time. As contests go, it's one of the easier ones to enter but you have to be in it for the experience. Nothing more will come from it unless you wow Benderspink when you meet with them. And maybe not even then.
              Vancouver Screenwriters Meetup Group

              Comment


              • Re: Industry Insider Contest

                The next contest is now open:

                Think you can turn this logline from Todd Garner, veteran Hollywood Producer ofbox officehits Paul Blart: Mall Cop, Zookeeper, Knight & Day, The Sorcerer's Apprentice, and the upcoming Jack and Jill, into a killer script?


                A father and son find themselves trapped in the Bermuda Triangle after embarking on a quest to discover what happened to the father's missing parents.


                http://www.writersstore.com/industry...riting-contest
                Vancouver Screenwriters Meetup Group

                Comment


                • Re: Industry Insider Contest

                  Originally posted by ReneC View Post
                  The next contest is now open:

                  Think you can turn this logline from Todd Garner, veteran Hollywood Producer ofbox officehits Paul Blart: Mall Cop, Zookeeper, Knight & Day, The Sorcerer's Apprentice, and the upcoming Jack and Jill, into a killer script?


                  A father and son find themselves trapped in the Bermuda Triangle after embarking on a quest to discover what happened to the father's missing parents.
                  No, I can't. Have at it, cats and kittens. Doesn't do a thing for me.

                  HH

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X