No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Trackinb Contest

Originally posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
    No it isn't exactly why. What you quoted of me and bolded has nothing to do with pinning the tail on the donkey.
    Yes, it absolutely does. Voting titles to the next round is pinning the tail on a donkey.

You ask me if I am listening to myself and I ask you the same - are you listening to yourself? Are you listening to what I'm saying? Because it seems that you aren't.
    I'm saying: "Why the lack of transparency?" You're saying: "Who cares? It is what it is." See? I'm totally listening.

This is so inane and ludicrous that I'll ask you again to read what I'm saying and to listen to yourself. Your analogy is about hacking, theft and ripping off and is preposterous.
    As preposterous as these analogies...?

In the Apprentice, the guys who make it to the final aren't always the best on paper, or even the most consistent in the tasks. Sometimes a guy'll be picked because he has a raw, unhoned ability, sometimes it will be the guy who excelled week in, week out, sometimes a guy will bomb in tasks but his CV is too impressive to pass up. The point is it doesn't matter how Alan Sugar/Donald Trump make their choices, and there may not be the black & white, consistent process you're asking for, the simple fact is that as extremely successful billionaires, they know what they're talking about and the winners of each show (though not always everyone's first pick) are the wheat amongst the chaff.

The same goes for the band that sends in their demo tapes. And the same goes for scripts. TrackingB is not a scam. It's legit.
    You're comparing a business (TrackingB) that takes money in exchange for the possibility of representation to businesses (Apprentice and music labels) that do not.

Do the contestants on The Apprentice pay out-of-pocket with the hope that they'll win? Do bands pay music labels to listen to their demos?

No.

So, yeah, my analogy of criminal hackers actually does hold up. I'm not saying TrackingB is stealing money. AT ALL. I'm saying money matters. And where it goes matters. And the person paying for a service actually does deserve to know what they're paying for (and don't say, "you're paying for the possibility of getting repped").

and for all the comments about there being nothing wrong in asking for full disclosure, there is equally nothing wrong in not disclosing any details.
    So we agree, then. You don't have to tell me what you're doing with my money, but if you refuse to... I'm going to suspect that something's up.

You can't tell me that if you went to buy a car and you asked the Salesman:

"Salesman, why is this Ford F-150 so much more expensive than the Ford F-150 across the street?"

And he replied:

"I'm sorry, we don't disclose that information."

... that you wouldn't balk. Don't disclose... What? Why not? What are you hiding? I mean, I know I'm not the only one who thinks that's odd.

Again, don't tell me I'm getting access to The Insider's exclusive network. I get that. I really do. But I'm asking about the undisclosed process.

It's a legit question and it's one there's no reason to not answer.
    Last edited by ATB; 02-21-2012, 07:25 PM.

Comment

No it isn't exactly why. What you quoted of me and bolded has nothing to do with pinning the tail on the donkey (and if you really think they are doing that and are somehow still ending up with quality scripts at the end of the day that are gleefully repped by the top tier agents then.....)
      So how many of the 40 finalists and honorable mentions from 2007-2011 are repped by top tier agents?

Why? You've had enough reasons why - serious pushing on your behalf by a Hollywood insider who has the ear of the big guns and whose word is trusted by the big guns.
      Which big guns does he have the ear of and which big guns is he trusted by?

As a side point, does anyone really think turgid crap sent in the Nicholl is read to the end by the readers? Really?
      Our instructions to the readers are to read the scripts. Are all 6,730 scripts read cover to cover? As I'm not sitting with each reader when they read each script, I can't answer the question. Readers submit score sheets on every script, knowing that they will be checked by us in the office.

This year every script will be read at least twice in the first round. That gives each submission two chances to capture a reader's attention.

BTW, why does everyone keep stating TB costs $65. According to the site, the early fee is $70 and it goes up from there. As I estimated earlier, the average fee has to be close to $90-95.

Comment

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
        Our instructions to the readers are to read the scripts. Are all 6,730 scripts read cover to cover? As I'm not sitting with each reader when they read each script, I can't answer the question. Readers submit score sheets on every script, knowing that they will be checked by us in the office.

This year every script will be read at least twice in the first round. That gives each submission two chances to capture a reader's attention.
        Great example of transparency.

Comment

Regarding price of entry, I think people are quoting TrackingB's TV contest fee which is $65. I had to look twice when I saw $70. The feature contest has really raised up their prices. I think last year it was fifteen dollars less for each of the tiers. Without a transparent process like the Nicholl where we know they have a policy for reads and safeguards to ensure that policy is carried out, who their staff is and its size, and learning about the price increase which makes TrackingB the most expensive contest to enter, TrackingB really does give me pause now. The top contests offer comparable chances with reps for half the price.

Earliest Entry Fee Prices
          Nicholl - 35
          Austin - 35
          Page - 39
          Final Draft - 40
          Scriptapalooza - 40
          Scriptpipeline - 45
          TrackingB - 70
          Last edited by AlexNoa; 02-21-2012, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
            Will you be using the readers' score sheets to check the competency/consistency of the readers?

For example, if Reader A gives script X a score of 70 and Reader B gives script X a score of 14, will that be examined by you and your staff?

Thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by iggy View Post
              Will you be using the readers' score sheets to check the competency/consistency of the readers?

For example, if Reader A gives script X a score of 70 and Reader B gives script X a score of 14, will that be examined by you and your staff?

Thanks!!
              We notice oddities of every sort - from mismatched scores as in your example to missing pages to a PDF that won't open to a reader returning a different draft of a writer's script (as once happened about a dozen years ago; btw, that ended the reader's Nicholl career). Year after year, we have read hundreds of scripts that fell below the second read mark to double-check the judging process. Now we're reading them all a second time, so we're essentially checking every read.

Comment

Originally posted by thrill14 View Post
                T
                But trust me in that you would be missing a golden opportunity.
                Whenever I ask what movie I might have seen that was based on a contest winning script, no one has an answer. They all talk of reps and sales, but not one commercial release.

So, there mustn't be any.

Which means there's nothing golden about the opportunity.

The winners are thrown into an artificial environment that they don't know how to deal with. They don't have a lot of scripts or experience behind them, they end up losing their rep, possibly to the next year's winner, and they're back where they started. Maybe even worse off. Because now, they've failed, whereas before they still had promise.

You can't justify this contest addiction unless you can pull out titles to match.

Comment

Originally posted by nojustice View Post
                  Whenever I ask what movie I might have seen that was based on a contest winning script, no one has an answer. They all talk of reps and sales, but not one commercial release.

The winners are thrown into an artificial environment that they don't know how to deal with. They don't have a lot of scripts or experience behind them, they end up losing their rep, possibly to the next year's winner, and they're back where they started. Maybe even worse off. Because now, they've failed, whereas before they still had promise.

You can't justify this contest addiction unless you can pull out titles to match.
                  Season of the Witch immediately comes to mind...

Not to mention Shrapnel, Evidence, and Maggie which will all likely be coming out in a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by CthulhuRises View Post
                    Season of the Witch immediately comes to mind...

Not to mention Shrapnel, Evidence, and Maggie which will all likely be coming out in a few years.
                    I see, so out of all of these contests combined, over all of the years they've been running, you have one title.

"Likely coming out in a few years" doesn't count.

That's certainly no justification for thousands and thousands of writers to pay contest entry fees every year for over a decade, is it?

Comment

Speaking as a British writer who's spent the last three and a half years working and living in LA because of a contest he won:

You're talking bollocks.
                      twitter.com/leespatterson

Comment

Originally posted by -XL- View Post
                        Speaking as a British writer who's spent the last three and a half years working and living in LA because of a contest he won:

You're talking bollocks.
                        I'm just asking for titles.

Did you get repped because of your win and then your rep helped you find writing work?

Comment

Start here:

Q: How many Nicholl Fellowship-winning scripts have been produced?

A: Of the 121 scripts that have earned their writers fellowships from 1986 to 2011, 16 have been produced. Warren Taylor's "In the Dark" as "In the Eyes of a Stranger" (CBS-TV), Radha Bharadwaj's "Closet Land," Jim McGlynn's "Traveller," Mark Lowenthal's "Where the Elephant Sits," Myron Goble's "Down in the Delta," Ehren Kruger's "Arlington Road," Mike Rich's "Finding Forrester," Karen Moncrieff's "Blue Car," Deborah Pryor's "Briar Patch" (aka "Plain Dirty"), Jacob Estes's "Mean Creek," Dawn O'Leary's "Island of Brilliance" (as "Admissions"), Doug Atchison's "Akeelah and the Bee," Robert Edwards's "Land of the Blind," James Mottern's "Trucker," Bragi Schut's "Season of the Witch" and Jason Micallef's "Butter.

Did you get repped because of your win and then your rep helped you find writing work?
                          Because of the contest win, my script got passed all around town. Within a couple weeks I went from having been read by (maybe) half a dozen people in Hollywood (from a QF placement the year before), to getting to handpick my representation from a dozen (or so) offers. While I was making my decision, the script worked its way into the hands of a big producer who -- along with an Oscar-winning writer -- was searching for an upcoming writer for a project. They championed me to the studio. I got the job. Then signed with an agency and gave them the good news. Now my agents help me procure work, but they still use the cache of the contest to help open doors/sell me.
                          twitter.com/leespatterson

Comment

Really...? I thought there was a preacher in town...

This is NOT helpful to new wrtiers. Unless you're speaking from a place of absolute certainty... Don't!

Mental note: Must ready myself for the impending failure. Best let my reps know I'll be out of their hair next year...

Given the utter conviction of your previous statement, this seems a somewhat redundant question. After all, according to your profound words it's about having experience behind you and copious amounts of scripts... Right?

Comment

Well, let us know when something goes into production.

And 16 out of 121 isn't bad, even if Season of the Witch is the only one I've heard of.

So, like, 12% of Nicholl winners see results for their scrips, and others get work, I guess that's something.

It's just the contests creep me out. They all come across as a scam. I could never take some other writers money and consider it a "win". There's just something inherently tragic about it.

And why have contest-losers like Little Miss Sunshine gone so much further than all the winners combined?

Comment

As Emily and Paradis have said, people quibbling over this are not ready to go pro.
                                I've never entered trackingb and even though I mostly lurk here, I was really pleased for Emily when she got signed from them. That's amazing! And seems well-earned. I hope she sells that script and many others.

But the problem with the above quoted statement is that EVERYONE thinks they are ready to go pro... EVERYONE. Sundown, not to pick on you, but you were in another thread a few weeks back complaining that your first draft Act One was 33 pages and you really wanted it to be 30 and what should you do about it? By nature of that question, you probably aren't ready to go pro either. Yet I'm pretty sure trackingB will gladly accept your money, as will other contests.

It's odd that there's so much pushback from simply wanting to know what TB's judging process entails. Surely you jest? And unlike others, I do think 70 entry fee is a lot of money -- especially if you are uncomfortable not knowing what their judging process looks like -- if only in light of that whole Silver/Julie debacle where people were livid and felt scammed because judges were only reading three pages before tossing scripts aside, and not bothering to give them a chance if they had a non LA address.

Comment

Working...
                                X