Trackinb Contest

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: Trackinb Contest

    I'm mystified. Why are people angrily demanding details on the judging process here? Are the people who could actually provide those details - the people who run the TrackingB contest - here?

    Would you stand in KFC and scream at customers because they can't tell you what spices are in the chicken? But you're eating it and you say it's good!

    Email the people at the contest, report back your findings. It's not tough.

    I'm not a big fan of most contests, or paying for access. But this contest passes my smell test, FWIW - they do a good job screening scripts (given the representation success stories of high placing scripts), and they have meaningful reps eager to read the winners.

    The problem with other contests or companies that promise access is that they don't, really - maybe they're run by a reader who can get a low level manager friend or two to read. Maybe.

    Comment


    • Re: Trackinb Contest

      Originally posted by figment View Post
      But the problem with the above quoted statement is that EVERYONE thinks they are ready to go pro... EVERYONE. Sundown, not to pick on you, but you were in another thread a few weeks back complaining that your first draft Act One was 33 pages and you really wanted it to be 30 and what should you do about it? By nature of that question, you probably aren't ready to go pro either. Yet I'm pretty sure trackingB will gladly accept your money, as will other contests.
      Hi Fig (just back to answer your comments about my thread, nothing else)

      You've got the wrong end of the stick. I wasn't asking what to do about my Act I nor did I want it to be 30 pages. And TBH, I was talking outloud rather than genuine head scratching but it tied in to the one myth I've been struggling to let go of as all the scripts I'd read conformed to it so I asked. However, I agree it didn't do me any favours.

      The problem you have with my statement is a misnomer because the only point I was making was that IMO their quibbling indicated they aren't ready to go pro. If ego prevents the "not-ready-yets" from seeing this then that's their fault and I have no sympathy for those who throw their hat in the ring too soon. Likewise, there's nothing wrong with ANYONE (legit) taking money off people willing to pay. Or do you expect script competitions to put in the legwork yet offer refunds if the script isn't pro? Do you expect the World Series of Poker to not accept the $10k entry fee from a dreamer with no chance of winning?

      And if they did vet scripts and refund those they didn't think were worthy there'd be a big outcry of discrimination just like there has been in this godawful thread so the organisers can't win, either way!

      Finally, referring to my thread is a misnomer for another reason - I never once made any assertion that I was ready to go pro and am yet to enter any competitions. My only comments in this thread have been against the ridiculous comments about TrackingB. My perceived - or actual - status is of no consequence. But it does negate what you said about "everybody".

      Anymore, please PM me as it's not on topic. Thanks.

      Comment


      • Re: Trackinb Contest

        Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
        I'm mystified. Why are people angrily demanding details on the judging process here? Are the people who could actually provide those details - the people who run the TrackingB contest - here?

        Would you stand in KFC and scream at customers because they can't tell you what spices are in the chicken? But you're eating it and you say it's good!

        Email the people at the contest, report back your findings. It's not tough.

        I'm not a big fan of most contests, or paying for access. But this contest passes my smell test, FWIW - they do a good job screening scripts (given the representation success stories of high placing scripts), and they have meaningful reps eager to read the winners.

        The problem with other contests or companies that promise access is that they don't, really - maybe they're run by a reader who can get a low level manager friend or two to read. Maybe.
        And all this succinctly makes the same points I, and others, made (somewhat more long windedly). Maybe that's why he's the pro around here.

        But anyway, now that The Jeff has spoken, maybe certain elements will check in their umbrage and cancel their planned assault on the castle and leave their pitchforks and flaming torches in the village.

        Comment


        • Re: Trackinb Contest

          Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
          I'm mystified. Why are people angrily demanding details on the judging process here? Are the people who could actually provide those details - the people who run the TrackingB contest - here?

          Would you stand in KFC and scream at customers because they can't tell you what spices are in the chicken? But you're eating it and you say it's good!

          Email the people at the contest, report back your findings. It's not tough.

          I'm not a big fan of most contests, or paying for access. But this contest passes my smell test, FWIW - they do a good job screening scripts (given the representation success stories of high placing scripts), and they have meaningful reps eager to read the winners.

          The problem with other contests or companies that promise access is that they don't, really - maybe they're run by a reader who can get a low level manager friend or two to read. Maybe.
          Jeff, have you looked through the five years of TrackingB finalists and honorable mention writers with their reps (or non-reps) listed on the site?

          While what TrackingB has accomplished in five years has certainly enhanced the careers of a number of writers, when you see a number of the repped writers sharing a few reps, it does seem as if friendships may be involved.

          Given the industry names listed on the site, do the phrases "big guns" and "top tier agents" immediately come to mind?

          Not sure that KFC spicing has much to do with someone asking questions about a competition's process.

          Comment


          • Re: Trackinb Contest

            Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
            While what TrackingB has accomplished in five years has certainly enhanced the careers of a number of writers, when you see a number of the repped writers sharing a few reps, it does seem as if friendships may be involved.

            Given the industry names listed on the site, do the phrases "big guns" and "top tier agents" immediately come to mind?
            Granted you said "a number of" but i'm on there and as far as i'm aware my rep's not signed any others... Also, I don't think he'd appreciate the comment about big guns and top tier...

            Comment


            • Re: Trackinb Contest

              Originally posted by SundownInRetreat View Post

              .... Likewise, there's nothing wrong with ANYONE (legit) taking money off people willing to pay. Or do you expect script competitions to put in the legwork yet offer refunds if the script isn't pro? Do you expect the World Series of Poker to not accept the $10k entry fee from a dreamer with no chance of winning?
              What are you even talking about? I don't care if anyone enters trackingB or any other contest. Why would I? YOU stated those questioning trackingB where not ready to be pros. I thought that was a pretty bold statement to make since you were in a thread asking how to cut 2 pages out of act one of a first draft of your script -- which, to me, didn't seem like a very pro thing to ask. And now you're babbling about the world series of poker? What?

              I only echoed what others have brought up -- that I can understand why SOME people -- those ready to be pros or not -- might question trackingB's lack of transparency concerning how the judging is conducted. Especially since some other contests -- brought up on this very board -- were previously maligned concerning THEIR judging process. For god's sake, people.

              Comment


              • Re: Trackinb Contest

                Originally posted by -XL- View Post
                Speaking as a British writer who's spent the last three and a half years working and living in LA because of a contest he won:

                You're talking bollocks.
                ^^^^ what he said..
                "Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." -[/SIZE] James R. Cook

                Comment


                • Re: Trackinb Contest

                  Originally posted by figment View Post
                  EVERYONE thinks they are ready to go pro... EVERYONE.
                  Sad, but true..
                  "Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." -[/SIZE] James R. Cook

                  Comment


                  • Re: Trackinb Contest

                    Originally posted by figment View Post
                    What are you even talking about? I don't care if anyone enters trackingB or any other contest. Why would I? YOU stated those questioning trackingB where not ready to be pros. I thought that was a pretty bold statement to make since you were in a thread asking how to cut 2 pages out of act one of a first draft of your script -- which, to me, didn't seem like a very pro thing to ask. And now you're babbling about the world series of poker? What?
                    *Facepalm*

                    Or, if you really need to be told, re-fcking-read. And when you've already been told you were wrong about my act 1 thread, it's not a good idea to carry on making inaccurate statements, reinforcing the fact you (somehow) got the wrong end of the stick.

                    And if you *really* want to know more, bloody well PM me and stop filling the board with this.

                    Comment


                    • Re: Trackinb Contest

                      Originally posted by JoJo View Post
                      Sad, but true..
                      Not for me - which was one points I was making to figgy. But I guess he was still pre occupied with misreading a previous thread to have taken note.

                      Comment


                      • Re: Trackinb Contest

                        Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
                        Jeff, have you looked through the five years of TrackingB finalists and honorable mention writers with their reps (or non-reps) listed on the site?

                        While what TrackingB has accomplished in five years has certainly enhanced the careers of a number of writers, when you see a number of the repped writers sharing a few reps, it does seem as if friendships may be involved.
                        I'm sure friendships are involved. The people who run the contest seem to be able to get immediate attention from a circle of reps, and those reps trust their taste. None of that seems weird to me. I do see other reps pop up though, which suggests that others in the industry are looking at the results.

                        Given the industry names listed on the site, do the phrases "big guns" and "top tier agents" immediately come to mind?
                        I think I saw Benderspink, Brillstein, WME, UTA, Gasmer...

                        But to be honest, I'm not really up to date on which managers/agents are the hottest. I've been with UTA for seventeen years, and had two managers in that same amount of time.

                        Not sure that KFC spicing has much to do with someone asking questions about a competition's process.
                        My point is that if you want to know how the chicken is made, don't ask the people eating it. Ask the people making it.

                        Has anyone who's complaining about trackingb's contest emailed them and asked how it works? If I had questions, that would be the first thing I'd do.

                        But on a larger point: Greg, as I've said for as long as we've known each other (which is going on what, 20 years?), Nicholl is the fucking gold standard and no one else is even close. Saying that trackingb or Austin can help a career doesn't detract from Nicholl. If you're trying to prove that other contests don't help as much as yours... No one's arguing with you.

                        Comment


                        • Re: Trackinb Contest

                          Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post

                          My point is that if you want to know how the chicken is made, don't ask the people eating it. Ask the people making it.

                          Has anyone who's complaining about trackingb's contest emailed them and asked how it works? If I had questions, that would be the first thing I'd do.
                          Jeff, I have tried before and was given the (cordial) impression not to expect one anytime soon.

                          Comment


                          • Re: Trackinb Contest

                            Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
                            But on a larger point: Greg, as I've said for as long as we've known each other (which is going on what, 20 years?), Nicholl is the fucking gold standard and no one else is even close. Saying that trackingb or Austin can help a career doesn't detract from Nicholl. If you're trying to prove that other contests don't help as much as yours... No one's arguing with you.
                            Probably 17 or 18 years, whenever we first met on GEnie. Thanks for the kind words about the Nicholl competition.

                            Actually, I'm just wondering why people make statements about what a competition does or doesn't do and offer no supporting evidence.

                            The no competition scripts produced statement earlier in this thread is yet another example. Similar unsupported statements about TrackingB, Nicholl and other competitions litter this thread. As you often show, Google can be a friend.

                            Comment


                            • Re: Trackinb Contest

                              I too had asked The Insider this past year how scripts are judged. He politely responded by saying, and I quote, "our reading process and evaluation process is not made public."

                              editing this to say that i think this response, though polite, certainly would cause many to wonder what they are getting in return for a $70+ entry fee.
                              Quato Lives!

                              Comment


                              • Re: Trackinb Contest

                                Originally posted by Mintclub View Post
                                Granted you said "a number of" but i'm on there and as far as i'm aware my rep's not signed any others... Also, I don't think he'd appreciate the comment about big guns and top tier...
                                Boy, sorry that your rep wouldn't appreciate the comment. But I didn't make the original statement, which suggested that the Insider has the ears of big guns and that finalists and honorable mention writers routinely sign with top tier agents.

                                If you look over the 40 listed writers, you'll see that there are shared reps.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X