No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Trackinb Contest

Originally posted by nojustice View Post
    I think my calculations are pretty accurate. The intensity of the focus on the contests here is the bs.
    If you don't like it then don't come here, Kingfish.

A lot of aspiring scribes don't have the money to fly to a "festival" or pay for a "conference" or "seminar." A lot of aspiring scribes don't have accessibility to "groups" and "panels."

Those that do have started threads about the above.

Every writer everywhere has the ability to pony up a few bucks and enter a "contest," though.

Is your issue with contests in general, the nicholl, trackingb, the "intensity of the focus" here, or do you just have issues in general.

I'm confused.
    "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

I think my calculations are pretty accurate. The intensity of the focus on the contests here is the bs.
      Oh, "calculations". I didn't realize you had applied the scientific method to the value of screenwriting contests. That's awesome. How do you fit in being both a highly paid screenwriter, not running a contest, and being a statistician? And, isn't it cool that Michael Arndt was partially inspired by the Nicholl to keep writing? Thank God for the Nicholl, otherwise he may never have won the Oscar!

Comment

Viral exploitation is just that. There's nothing good about it.
        You're entitled to your opinion.

Contests (the legitimate ones) are another way of getting your work into the hands of industry professionals. As a struggling screenwriter, I can only see it as a good thing.

If you are deterred by the odds, you should chase a different dream.

Comment

Originally posted by jsay View Post
          I couldn't find it on the website... Curious, who does read for Austin and how do they judge?
          Information's only an email away.

Comment

Last edited by SundownInRetreat; 02-23-2012, 11:08 PM.

Comment

I've done the legwork for you. Here are all the comments about the perceived reason why people are balking and bitching about TrackingB.

Originally posted by Paradis View Post
              I'm gonna make a sweeping generalization in that individuals who complain about;

A - the lack of "feedback" from trackingb (i count not winning as some pretty definitive feedback)

AND

B - The price being too high (really... too high for representation you say... uh huh)

....those individuals (who complain of the above) simply aren't ready yet, or have no concept of what's "valuable" in this industry.

Originally posted by emily blake View Post
              My sense has always been that the price and the lack of quarter finalists lists discourages tourists. You're only going to enter TrackingB if you actually think your script is going to win. I think it's that way by design.
              Emily then clarified her position with:
              Originally posted by emily blake View Post
              I was not saying that someone who doesn't want to enter this contest isn't ready. I was saying that only people who think their work is ready would spend this much money on a contest.
              Yet her second sentence actually ratifies what Paradis and I said - that people who don't think their work is ready will be reluctant to enter TrackingB. However, the point here isn't "proving" people right or wrong - which is what you're trying to do - it's simply listing the comments that were along the same lines as mine so we can compare if I really was OTT as you claim.

Then Paradis came posted these which implies his previous comments:
              If you're objective to enter a contest is to win money, then there's plenty of said contests out there. If say, you're really more interested in a tangible career outcome, then maybe this one is for you.
              People seriously need to ask themselves what's valuable in this industry. Peanuts, or eyes on your script. The right eyes mean a paycheck and a potential launching point that could change your life.... I don't give a sh*t about 65$ bucks.)...Because 65$ isn't that much. But apparently it is. Only it isn't if you laying down quality IMO

Then there was XL with:
              Originally posted by -XL- View Post
              They seem to be searching for people/scripts that are market-ready -- ready to have representation/to be put up for work....There's no prize money, no quarter finalist pat on the back, nothing except the implied promise that, if you're ready,
              Which also implies the same as what I and Paradis said.

And now, here are my thoughts on the matter, mainly in response to AlexNoa

Originally posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
              As Emily and Paradis have said, people quibbling over this are not ready to go pro.
              You can't over analyse this stuff and the fact that you are is proof (to me, anyway) that you clearly aren't ready. You have to believe that your script rocks and is pro quality, regardless of genre, regardless of reader, regardless of whether he got a great BJ that morning or not.

What you have said throughout just tells me you aren't ready nor have confidence in your writing. You want to know everything so as to hedge your bets accordingly based on the judges.

So where exactly have I been any more adamant, huh? As said, most were in replt to AlexNoa who wanted to know everything about the judges, what scripts they like, what toothpaste they use before he'd even consider entering - and I expanded on my original statement (where I mentioned Paradis and Emily) yet merely detailed further - not getting more and more adamant and outspoken (like you claim).

And here's Joe9salt, right on page 2, being far more outspoken and adamant than I ever was. But we both know you won't dare take him on:

Originally posted by joe9alt View Post
              Sometimes some posters on this site make me sick.

You morons will gladly pay some Julie Gray type hundreds of dollars to skim your work, tell you it sucks, and ultimately line you up to pay hundreds more in order to revise your work and then that’s it. Nothing. Done. You have a script some failed writer says she likes and where does that get you? NOWHERE besides close to a thousand bucks lighter.

Then you see an opportunity like this. This contest has been around for a few years now and it’s grown every year. It’s here to stay. Some of the better posters on this board have been recognized in the contest. The contest has helped get tons of posters represented. Last year’s winner got repped and then his reps SOLD the script to Bold Films. Look at the winners list – most of those writers are repped now and make no mistake, getting repped is the holy grail in terms of entering contests. That should be the end goal in terms of the contest scene.

Look at the judges affiliated with the Trackingb contest. The list reads like a who’s who in terms of rising industry players. Do you seriously think these people would let themselves be affiliated with a “sham” contest. It’s moronic to even refer to this contest in that manner. Trackingb’s track record is proven.

EddieCoyle, if you don't think you could be a "winner" then don't enter. Ummm, you're pretty perceptive if you're picking up on the fact that writers who actually WIN or PLACE in contests get a better deal than the losers. That's the law of the jungle, bro. Sorry. Winning isn't everything. It's the only thing.

And Scriptonian and whoever else thinks similarly, you keep scrawling your scripts with magic marker on construction paper…keep showing them to your grammy…keep listening when she tells you how good they are. I can tell from your posts you shouldn’t enter. You have no shot at winning. In fact, you probably should quit screenwriting all together. I don’t need to read your work to know you don’t have what it takes. Hang it up, bud. Don’t enter Trackingb. Don’t enter Nicholl. Don’t write another word.

I’ve already wasted too many minutes combating your ineptitude.

I don’t want to waste any more.

It would be different if you had any sort of valid content in your posts or your questions. You don't. It's like the drivel of a mad man.

PASS.
              Last edited by SundownInRetreat; 02-23-2012, 11:10 PM.

Comment

As I said in the post, it's not about being right about what we said about people balking at entering and being hesitant. It's only about how they came across, how we perceived, as I stated in the bold red text.

And if you've never inferred and interpreted what another person has said without knowing every minute detail, if you've never given an opinion based on a reply someone gave you, and if you've never passed comment on a comedian, film or X Factor/American Idol contestant (despite being neither a pro comedian, director, or singer) then go take your seat next to Jesus. He's been waiting 2000 years for someone to join him "on his level".

Comment

In my defense I was massively hungover that day.
                  "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

I advised to focus what was in red and you didn't - despite you quoting it. The red explained how it wasn't about the person's work, nor the quality of the athlete, but the vibe that they give off when they are reticent about "trying out for the majors".

And what did you do? You kept on repeating all what you've said before and threw in more useless analogies about sport prowess despite skill not being an issue - only the reluctance to....Ah hell, if you don't get it now, you never will.

BTW, I LOL'd at your "real football" comment. You mean that sport that came after football, is predominantly hand orientated and is played professionally by just one country?

I'll leave it here, nothing more to say. But before I go, here's another personal viewpoint based on what I've read:

I think you've only took the huff with me because the bulk of my replies were to you. Which was ironic because I wasn't actually questioning your ability - only your insistence for transparency. But wow, someone disagreed with you - big deal! Agree to disagree then.

As you can see in the quotes, I said nothing stronger than anybody else but I had stongly called your outlook into question. Yet you quickly lost your temper because I refused to yield (and you admitted as such) and I think it's because you were taking it personally.

It was also noticeable that you tone down your rhetoric when more seasoned posters are involved and so I think it's because you perceive me to be green. Yeah, I've made a couple of noob style posts but you didn't cover yourself in glory with your FBDO comments, either. So judging me based on a handful of posts rather than my actual work is exactly what you've been chastising me for doing.

Anyway, over and out.
                    Last edited by SundownInRetreat; 02-23-2012, 02:12 PM.

Comment

And here's Joe9salt, right on page 2, being far more outspoken and adamant than I ever was. But we both know you won't dare take him on:
                      True about Joe, but not because of his credits. Rather, the guy is seriously strapped.

Per advice of counsel: One or more of the above statements may be untrue.
                      Last edited by Manchester; 02-23-2012, 03:13 PM.

Comment

They have been consumed by the obsession with contests, and Little Miss Sunshine is the key to unlocking the truth about them.

Why did it lose? Why did it not even place in any of them? How could they have got it so wrong?

I think it's precisely because they're NOT getting a meaningful read.
                        What are you babbling about? One script didn't win yet was still good eough to be picked up and made? So what? No one ever said that only the winners are good enough. Not everyone who fails to make the QFs of American Idol and X Factor are "not ready" and worse than those who do.

Bloodsport was made and made a fortune but are you going to hold that up as a bastion of script quality? I hope not. The point is just because a film is made, or isn't, makes a killing at the BO, or fades away isn't always a comment on the script that spawned it.

And if you really are a paid writer then you should know the film history and "why" films flop or romp is as yet an unsolved mystery. That's why it's such a Risky Business*

As for why didn't it place? Every consider the fact that better scripts were found? Or, at least, scripts they believed were better?

*used with kind permission from Tom Cruise.

Comment

Sundown,

1.) Temper was never lost. Haven't even furrowed a brow. If anything, you've given me a lotta laughs.

2.) All that legwork for me to repeat what I've already said: You cannot judge a writer's ability based on their reluctance to enter a contest. I don't care if it was only you or 100 other people.

That was the point of the NFL Combine example (which, yeah, was supposed to be a futbol/football joke but you get huffy about a gust of wind so I get why you just ignored a good analogy).

The takeaway: It says nothing about a person's ability when they voice an uncommon opinion about something as questionable/polarizing as the NFL Combine or a contest like TrackingB.

3.) What are you getting at with the FBDO discussion? Believing Cameron is the protag of FBDO also says nothing about a person's writing ability. If you think it does, you're greener than I thought.

And here's a big distinction between me guessing that you're a green writer and what you've done in this thread: I'm not telling you that your threads or your questions or your comments mean that you can't be a good writer. Either in the future or right now. I can't know that.

But you are saying that.

As Emily and Paradis have said, people quibbling over this are not ready to go pro.
                          Even if they listed the judges, how do you knwo which one reads your script? or what mood he was in when he read it? Did he get a great BJ that morning or did she stop just at the crucial moment? You can't over analyse this stuff and the fact that you are is proof (to me, anyway) that you clearly aren't ready. You have to believe that your script rocks and is pro quality, regardless of genre, regardless of reader, regardless of whether he got a great BJ that morning or not.
                          What you have said throughout just tells me you aren't ready nor have confidence in your writing.
                          How many more posts do you need to make till you understand that I'll reply the same way every time?

Questioning TrackingB or any other contest for their lack of transparency says NOTHING about a writer's ability. Period.

P.S. I'm not gonna take the bait and judge Joe for his comments you quoted. I don't know the context. And it sounds like he and EddieCoyle may have a history from some other unrelated threads. If not, you know my stance. I don't think it's right to judge any writer for questioning a contest.
                          Last edited by ATB; 02-23-2012, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Let's compare the process between the top competitions before the final industry panelist round. The information below is from the competition's own websites:

PAGE AWARDS
                            FIRST & SECOND ROUNDS
                            In the first two rounds of competition, entries will be evaluated by professional script readers currently working in the industry. The top 25% of all submissions will advance to the Second Round of competition, and the top 10% of all submissions will advance to the Quarter-Final Round.

QUARTER-FINAL ROUND
                            Quarter-Finalist scripts will be evaluated by professional screenwriters and screenwriting consultants. The Judges’ combined scores will determine the top twenty-five Semi-Finalists in each category.

SEMI-FINAL ROUND
                            Semi-Finalist scripts will be evaluated by Hollywood literary agents, managers and development executives. The Judges’ combined scores will determine the top ten Finalists in each category.

THE NICHOLL FELLOWSHIPS
                            A: The first round of the Nicholl competition begins with the receipt of the initial entries in January or February, continues over the next five to six months and concludes by mid-July. As entries are received, application information is confirmed in our database, and each script and application form are assigned matching numbers. Scripts are then distributed electronically to readers in small "stacks" for evaluation. Every few days, those readers exchange their completed stacks for new ones. During the peak reading period – from late April through early July – 600 to 700 scripts are judged each week.

Let’s use the most recent competition as an example. In 2011, 6,730 scripts were entered in the competition. All of those scripts were read once. Nearly 2,900 of the scripts, based on a positive first read, were read a second time. Over 900 scripts received three reads. After the third read, each script’s best two scores were tallied, and the 350 scripts with the highest scores advanced to the quarterfinal round.

In 2012, we have enhanced the process slightly. All entries will be read at least twice during the first round of the competition.

Q: If my script advances to the quarterfinals, could I submit a new version of that script?

A: No. Scripts are sent forward to judges before writers are notified of their status, and there simply isn’t enough time in the schedule to allow several hundred writers the opportunity to submit new versions.

Q: What happens to scripts that do not advance to the quarterfinal round?

A: PDF scripts submitted online are deleted from the file server.

Q: Who reads in the quarterfinal round?

A: Selected industry professionals read the scripts that make the quarterfinal round, three reads by three different judges for each script.

Q: Who reads in the semifinal round?

A: Academy members read the scripts that reach the semifinal round. The judges are drawn from a number of Academy branches, covering all aspects of the creative and production process.

In 2011, 120 scripts advanced to the semifinal round, and each script was read by four Academy members. Ultimately, ten scores from the first, quarterfinal and semifinal rounds were compiled to determine the ten scripts and writers that advanced to the finals.

Given our judging process, at least eight different people have to like a particular script for it to advance to the finals. How many times do eight people agree that a particular movie, let alone a screenplay, is wonderful? Not very often.

TRACKINGB
                            All entered scripts will be read by Trackingb staff who will select their top choices.

TrackingB is the least transparent of the top contests by far. No one sane is arguing that they get their writers repped and their panel is top notch. But the process of how scripts get into the panel's hands needs to be made clear so the writer knows his script is being judged as fair against others and thoroughly as a contest can do so, especially given the entry fee is double Page and the Nicholl, to be considered among the top contests.
                            Last edited by AlexNoa; 02-23-2012, 05:26 PM.

Comment

"[T]here are known knowns - there are things we know we know.

"We also know there are known unknowns - that is to say we
                              know there are some things we do not know.

"But there are also unknown unknowns – there are things we
                              do not know we don't know."
                              Donald Rumsfeld
                              United States Secretary of Defense
                              At a press conference, February 12, 2002

For those of you scoring at home (Good for you), I'd put the TrackingB matter in Category #2.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexNoa View Post
                                TRACKINGB
                                All entered scripts will be read by Trackingb staff who will select their top choices.

rs repped and their panel is top notch. But the process of how scripts get into the panel's hands needs to be made clear so the writer knows his script is being judged as fair and thoroughly as a contest can do so, especially given the entry fee is double Page and the Nicholl, to be considered among the top contests.
                                I have no problem with the TrackingB process 'cause, in the end, it's all about the script and the results. I don't care who reads my script, or how many checks are marked in whatever coverage block the reader does...'cause if I don't win, then any other placement doesn't matter.

Ultimately, it all comes down to one reader anyway, 'cause it's all subjective anyway. I mean, how many threads are started around here that start out, "I just read xxx and I have no idea how that was sold for a million dollars!!"

HH

Comment

Working...
                                X