Trackinb Contest

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    Re: Trackinb Contest

    Originally posted by emily blake View Post
    TrackingB is not a contest for people who are learning. It's a contest for people who are ready to go pro; that's why the prize is representation and why the entrance fee is so high.

    There are contests you can enter and get feedback. This is not one of them. Try Bluecat.
    Doesn't that mean anyone who didn't win or place is not ready to go pro and therefore still has learning to do?

    Around a thousand people entered and 10 or so placed? That's 900 people who shouldn't have entered. 900 people who have an unrealistic idea of how good they are.

    Comment


    • #77
      Re: Trackinb Contest

      Originally posted by iggy View Post
      Doesn't that mean anyone who didn't win or place is not ready to go pro and therefore still has learning to do?

      Around a thousand people entered and 10 or so placed? That's 900 people who shouldn't have entered. 900 people who have an unrealistic idea of how good they are.
      Come on man, that doesn't mean that and you know it.

      This contest gets winners repped. It is a simple as that. Most contests don't do that.
      Introduce a little anarchy.

      Comment


      • #78
        Re: Trackinb Contest

        Originally posted by emily blake View Post
        TrackingB is not a contest for people who are learning. It's a contest for people who are ready to go pro; that's why the prize is representation and why the entrance fee is so high.
        question: are winning scripts chosen based on what the representative wants? should the writer send in a script based on the kind of scripts that representative has done in the past and/or what they're looking for now?

        Comment


        • #79
          Re: Trackinb Contest

          Originally posted by iggy View Post
          Doesn't that mean anyone who didn't win or place is not ready to go pro and therefore still has learning to do?

          Around a thousand people entered and 10 or so placed? That's 900 people who shouldn't have entered. 900 people who have an unrealistic idea of how good they are.
          pretty much. see also, 6500 of the Nicholl entrants every year

          Comment


          • #80
            Re: Trackinb Contest

            Originally posted by BurningWorld View Post
            Come on man, that doesn't mean that and you know it.

            This contest gets winners repped. It is a simple as that. Most contests don't do that.
            How does your statement relate to my statement?

            Yeah, I think it's a great contest and the winners get repped. I also think that if they found 20 fantastic scripts they would enlarge their honorable mention list.

            Comment


            • #81
              Re: Trackinb Contest

              Originally posted by ATB View Post
              Not if they're supposed to reflect the industry you're trying to break into.
              Very true.

              Comment


              • #82
                Re: Trackinb Contest

                Trackingb gets heaps of praise for good reason, but the one gigantic elephant in the room is the question that no one here has answered: what is the judging procedure? Nicholl and Page's is detailed thoroughly on their web site. How many readers are there? The Insider seems to have a one man operation going so reading 1000+ scripts seems extremely difficult without cutting corners. What is the judging procedure? We know others such as Scriptapalooza who drops boxes of scripts off at partnering production companies. Silver had a minimum page requirement of three measly pages.

                My question is, would everyone still be so gung ho about this contest even if winners get repped if first round reads consisted only of logline reads? That seems like a real possibility given what we know. And resorting to ad hominem attacks for people who would like to know how a contest that's accepted their hard-earned money is unacceptable and not a substitute for a satisfactory answer. What's more disconcerting is the total lack of communication and transparency from the Insider and any of his staff (however many there are) about this issue. So if you guys are out there, this post is for all the entrants who'd just like to know what the judging procedure is.

                Comment


                • #83
                  Re: Trackinb Contest

                  Originally posted by AlexNoa View Post
                  Trackingb gets heaps of praise for good reason, but the one gigantic elephant in the room is the question that no one here has answered: what is the judging procedure? Nicholl and Page's is detailed thoroughly on their web site. How many readers are there? The Insider seems to have a one man operation going so reading 1000+ scripts seems extremely difficult without cutting corners. What is the judging procedure? We know others such as Scriptapalooza who drops boxes of scripts off at partnering production companies. Silver had a minimum page requirement of three measly pages.

                  My question is, would everyone still be so gung ho about this contest even if winners get repped if first round reads consisted only of logline reads? That seems like a real possibility given what we know. And resorting to ad hominem attacks for people who would like to know how a contest that's accepted their hard-earned money is unacceptable and not a substitute for a satisfactory answer. What's more disconcerting is the total lack of communication and transparency from the Insider and any of his staff (however many there are) about this issue. So if you guys are out there, this post is for all the entrants who'd just like to know what the judging procedure is.
                  It's not an elephant in the room because people who enter don't care what the judging process is, given its track record for getting finalists read and repped by legitimate industry people. Agents, managers, and producers trust the Insider's filtering system (whatever it may be) enough to take on most finalists as clients. If someone cares about transparency, there are plenty of other more transparent contests to spend their hard-earned money on.

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    Re: Trackinb Contest

                    Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
                    It's not an elephant in the room because people who enter don't care what the judging process is, given its track record for getting finalists read and repped by legitimate industry people. Agents, managers, and producers trust the Insider's filtering system (whatever it may be) enough to take on most finalists as clients. If someone cares about transparency, there are plenty of other more transparent contests to spend their hard-earned money on.
                    So if they just read three pages minimum, as a paying entrant you wouldn't want to know?

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      Re: Trackinb Contest

                      Originally posted by AlexNoa View Post
                      So if they just read three pages minimum, as a paying entrant you wouldn't want to know?
                      if my script isn't grabbing a reader in the first three pages, it's probably not going to do me any good in any contest, let alone with agents, managers, or producers when my competition is the Andrew Marlowes, Jeff Lowells, and Dan Harmons of the world.

                      the bottom line for trackingb is that it's in the Insider's best interest to find his judges the best material because they are only looking to read and (potentially) rep scripts from writers who are ready now. apparently, that's working out for both judges and winners thus far. that's all i need to know in deciding whether to enter or not.

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        Re: Trackinb Contest

                        I've never seen more people bitch about contests than screenwriters. Try entering a fiction contest where only the winner is announced, or send out a short story where you might get lucky to get a rejection form letter after four months.

                        One can go on and on about how one made the quarterfinals or semifinals of a screenwriting contest, but at the end of the day no one gives a sh!t. Honestly, no one really gives a sh!t if you're a finalist. All that matters is if you have a script that someone wants to make into a movie.

                        And there are many movies made from scripts that haven't won contests. Hell, they haven't even gotten past a first reader in many a contest.

                        A contest is just one of many means to an end, and I think a lot of people put waaaaaaaay too much stock into 'em. I'm not saying don't enter them, but don't give them more credit than they deserve.

                        HH (who does enter contests)

                        ETA: What JoeBanks said.

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          Re: Trackinb Contest

                          Originally posted by AlexNoa View Post
                          Trackingb gets heaps of praise for good reason, but the one gigantic elephant in the room is the question that no one here has answered: what is the judging procedure? Nicholl and Page's is detailed thoroughly on their web site. How many readers are there? The Insider seems to have a one man operation going so reading 1000+ scripts seems extremely difficult without cutting corners. What is the judging procedure? We know others such as Scriptapalooza who drops boxes of scripts off at partnering production companies. Silver had a minimum page requirement of three measly pages.

                          My question is, would everyone still be so gung ho about this contest even if winners get repped if first round reads consisted only of logline reads? That seems like a real possibility given what we know. And resorting to ad hominem attacks for people who would like to know how a contest that's accepted their hard-earned money is unacceptable and not a substitute for a satisfactory answer. What's more disconcerting is the total lack of communication and transparency from the Insider and any of his staff (however many there are) about this issue. So if you guys are out there, this post is for all the entrants who'd just like to know what the judging procedure is.
                          If it bothers you so much, don't enter. Simple.

                          Personally, I would like detailed information on the judging process and status updates on my entry at every step along the way. TrackingB doesn't offer that. That bums me out, but it would seem kind of silly and petulant for me to whine about how TrackingB runs its contest. They aren't breaking any promises. They're not committing crimes against humanity. They're simply not running their contest in a way that fulfills all my desires. It's up to me to decide whether I still want to enter the contest despite it's failure to conform to some ideal I have in my head.

                          .

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            Re: Trackinb Contest

                            Originally posted by JoJo View Post
                            What's the point? You can't argue with their decision any more than you can argue with an agent, manager or prodco's opinion.

                            It is what it is.
                            Originally posted by emily blake View Post
                            TrackingB is not a contest for people who are learning. It's a contest for people who are ready to go pro; that's why the prize is representation and why the entrance fee is so high.

                            There are contests you can enter and get feedback. This is not one of them. Try Bluecat.

                            If one were truly ready to be a working screenwriter, both logline and script would be so compelling, that query letters would suffice, with agents, managers and others clamoring to offer their services.

                            Trackingb is a contest for people who think they're ready to go pro, or wish they were ready.

                            From my perspective, to use a basketball metaphor, Trackingb is the D-League of screenwriting. Even if one wins, and gets representation, one'd still probably end up wiling away their hours at the end of the bench.

                            Comment


                            • #89
                              Re: Trackinb Contest

                              The same questions were raised with Silver, but apparently results justifies anything, even at the expense of your own wallet. This typifies the writer's mentality that they should be grateful just to have the opportunity instead of demanding what they and their money is worth. It seems the responses so far have been for less transparency, with a "shut up and take my money and I hope you pick me however you do it" mentality. That may be fine with you but it isn't with me.

                              Comment


                              • #90
                                Re: Trackinb Contest

                                Originally posted by emily blake View Post
                                TrackingB is not a contest for people who are learning. It's a contest for people who are ready to go pro; that's why the prize is representation and why the entrance fee is so high.

                                There are contests you can enter and get feedback. This is not one of them. Try Bluecat.
                                How does TrackingB not being a contest for people who are learning justify a high entrance fee? Surely the entry fee should be mainly to cover the cost of the judging process (which is not specified) and the prize money (which is not awarded).

                                Besides, it is disingenuous to divide people up into "learning" and "ready to go pro". The only contest I know of worth entering if you know you are just learning is Bluecat because of the feedback. Yet thousands of writers enter contests such as Nicholl and Page. If they knew they were only "learners" who didn't stand a chance of making the QFs (let alone winning), why enter? Most people think/hope they're ready to go pro. They enter contests (including TrackingB) to find out and to get exposure if it turns out they are.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X