Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trackinb Contest

After getting a 'Top 10%' Nicholl rejection letter my focus now turns to what may be the most commercially meaningful contest out there (in terms of getting representation) - Trackingb.

Working hard to finish a new script in time to submit.

Re: Trackinb Contest

Originally posted by Storytell View Post
    ...most commercially meaningful contest out there.
    That's problem with most contests: the judges are NOT writing checks to finance the production, so they usually pick artsy-fartsy stuff that will NEVER be filmed, or if it is filmed, it flops (boring, cerebral), and many winners end up with lame careers or switch to publishing or teaching coz they don't know how to write mainstream entertainment (or don't want to, which is fair enough, but don't expect to sell).

Comment

Originally posted by SNAFU View Post
      That's problem with most contests: the judges are NOT writing checks to finance the production, so they usually pick artsy-fartsy stuff that will NEVER be filmed, or if it is filmed, it flops (boring, cerebral), and many winners end up with lame careers or switch to publishing or teaching coz they don't know how to write mainstream entertainment (or don't want to, which is fair enough, but don't expect to sell).
      How do you really feel? Don't hold back.

Comment

Originally posted by Storytell View Post
        After getting a 'Top 10%' Nicholl rejection letter my focus now turns to what may be the most commercially meaningful contest out there (in terms of getting representation) - Trackingb.

Working hard to finish a new script in time to submit.

Ditto... Might enter Bluecat too...

Comment

Originally posted by jsay View Post
          Ditto... Might enter Bluecat too...
          When it gets to the final round, the winner of Bluecat is picked by one guy. Same guy every year, the one who runs the contest. On the one hand, that suggests a non-moving target (though, as to where that target is, who knows). OTOH... ? Anyway, FYI.

Comment

Getting the new script ready for TrackingB is my next deadline as well. They don't recommend resubmitting screenplays that didn't make the cut in their contest last year.
            "It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing. But I couldn't give it up because by that time I was too famous"
            Robert Benchly

Comment

It's always good to have a healthy dose of skepticism, Ken, but I suggest you look at the trackingb contest website and look at all the finalists who signed with reps through the contest. These are not just any reps, either, but many are top reps with proven track records. Short of the Nicholl, I don't know many contests that can boast that many finalists getting management that quickly. Look at the board of judges -- guaranteed reads from those guys if you final.

Having been a finalist, I can also tell you that The Insider sent my script to reputable managers/production companies not on that list as well. I went from having no one willing to read my work to taking several meetings in a week and getting more offers for representation than I knew what to do with...

Comment

Originally posted by KenRichards
                Oh Jesus, this board has been rampant with Trackingb. Maybe I'll enter my best screenplay there and see what happens.

To be honest, I had never heard of this competition until a few months ago when I posted a query about which were the best screenplay competitions. I'm still skeptical (based on how new this contest is) but what the heck.

It's not that new.

My script DOYLESTOWN was an honorable mention way back in aught 7!
                "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

Originally posted by KenRichards
                  Oh Jesus, this board has been rampant with Trackingb. Maybe I'll enter my best screenplay there and see what happens.

To be honest, I had never heard of this competition until a few months ago when I posted a query about which were the best screenplay competitions. I'm still skeptical (based on how new this contest is) but what the heck.

You shouldn't be skeptical, this is the only real "Insider" contest in Hollywood other than Nicholls and, actually, I prefer Tracking B because I find the scripts to be more commercial than the Nicholls winners tend to be. But, that's just my 2 cents.

Comment

I'm a walking ad for Tracking B... Do it!
                    Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

For those with experience in this contest:

Do you have to make the finals in order to have any chance of getting repped?

If only 8 scripts make it to the finals out of close to 1000 entries (according to last year's numbers), those odds are much worse than getting QF in Nicholl. Don't most of those judges and their companies accept unsolicited queries anyway? Why is this worth $75?

(I'm not trying to sound degrading toward the contest, btw. Just curious is all)

Comment

Brice... I'll put it to you this way -- Like every single contest in the world, it is absolutely 100% not worth the entry fee at all.

That is if you're expecting a guaranteed return on that investment.

No matter which contest you enter, the cash is gone. If you happen to place high enough to experience a benefit, then maybe it is worth it. But not everyone who gets a QF result in Nicholl gets a rep. So is it worth the fee just to say you got top 15%, 10%, QF... ?? Point is, nobody can answer that question for you. Each person has to make their own cost/benefit analysis and decide how to spend their dough. I fully support the idea of cold querying any of the companies/ reps listed as judges. If you can get them to read you for free, why wouldn't you?

Contests are proverbial Dick measuring. It's also a gamble where the result is sometimes left to the whims of a single reader. We've all read the tons and tons of threads about contests... But sometimes... Sometimes... Contests are a shortcut that let you leap frog a few gate-keepers if you can do well. So in that respect, if you're confident and willing to lay your cash down for the gamble... Well then, TrackingB vaults it's top 1% (or slightly less) right past more gatekeepers than a lot of other contests. And far as I know, the Insider really works hard to get the top 8 repped and beyond that, yes, you're on your own.

So if you're the gambling type, and you feel like you've got the chops, then hell yeah it's worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnson View Post

Contests are proverbial Dick measuring.
                          What if I don't have a *whistles*?

If you look at any contest in terms of odds and money you're screwed anyways. If I would have realized only 8 scripts out of 900-1000 would be put in the spotlight, I probably wouldn't have entered mine. Thank god my brain wasn't working that day because I'm not sure if I would be close to where I am right now if it weren't for Tracking B. I think Johnson can relate in his own experience in the TB contest.

Writing is one big entire gamble. There's no guarantee of anything. No guarantee someone will answer your query, no guarantee you will ever get repped, no promise of money, etc. If everyone viewed writing that way, no one would write. The numbers never seem to be in anyone's favor.

One thing is for certain -- you have to write a great script. That will get you into the top 8 in Tracking B, that will get you into the semi and finals of Nicholl, not number crunching about what your chances are. Let your script do the talking and walking.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take... that's a true statistic for ya
                          Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

The TrackingB site makes it easy to pay (take) your entry fee, but I find nothing speaking to type of script eligibility for their contest (shorts? teleplays?), or any FAQs to be found anywhere on the site. Very late deadline is October 30th for only $110 entry fee, and $25 more to be considered for some other great opportunity. Looks like just another money-making sham contest to me.

Comment

Three finalist scripts get read by Mike Esola and an esteemed panel of other agents, managers and execs.

That alone makes the contest worth the money.

At least in my mind.

Comment

Working...
                              X