Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Trackinb Contest

If you really want feedback, skip the contest and just use one of the more respected coverage services. Problem solved.
    Ring-a-ding-ding, baby.

Comment

I'll be honest guys, you that are defending trackingb like it is your grandmother, are starting to come off as shills. Why don't you just let people have their opinions? If they don't want to enter, let them not enter. There is no need to attack them for their legitimate concerns. If you like the competition, fine.

But my god, you guys are defending it to the point it is getting creepy. Really creepy.

Comment

Originally posted by KenRichards View Post
        If they don't want to enter, let them not enter.
        Yeah, we really need to do something about...wait, who is demanding that people enter?

But my god, you guys are defending it to the point it is getting creepy. Really creepy.
        I agree. All of these people defending a reputable screenwriting contest that has a history of getting writers repped are weirdos. If that wasn't creepy enough, it's happening on a message board devoted to...screenwriting! The horror! The horror!

Why don't you just let people have their opinions?
        Yeah. Unless of course you have the "wrong" opinion that makes you
        come off as shills.
        Right?

But really, you said it best in another thread:

EVERY thread devolves into a debate. Screenwriters are the most annoying part of any population. They think they know everything.
        Ring-a-ding-ding, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by NoirDigits View Post
          Yeah, we really need to do something about...wait, who is demanding that people enter?

I agree. All of these people defending a reputable screenwriting contest that has a history of getting writers repped are weirdos. If that wasn't creepy enough, it's happening on a message board devoted to...screenwriting! The horror! The horror!

Yeah. Unless of course you have the "wrong" opinion that makes you

Right?

But really, you said it best in another thread:

Case in point. You getting paid by trackingb? LOL

There are two things I am losing my patience for. Sychopants and shills.

You need to drop a few names, and then I'll respect you more. LOL

I'll stick to competitions where more than three or four people can be happy about the results each year.

Comment

Ken, I'm not a shill and I'm not a sycophant. I'm not going to "drop names" because I'm not after your respect.

You seemed so optimistic and eager to enter TrackingB back in August. What happened?
            Ring-a-ding-ding, baby.

Comment

Ken, I'm not a shill and I'm not a sycophant. I'm not going to "drop names" because I'm not after your respect.

You seemed so optimistic and eager to enter TrackingB back in August. What happened?

I haven't said anything negative about trackingb. I have only acknowleged that some think the oblique nature of the way that competition is run a problem, and it is.

The only thing I pointed out was it is getting real creepy the way some here are defending this three or four year old competition like it's their grandmother that's being questioned.

I assure you, I don't lack for positive competition experiences elsewhere. I don't care one way or another about trackingb. But jesus people, tone it down.

Comment

Originally posted by justin View Post
                How does TrackingB not being a contest for people who are learning justify a high entrance fee?.
                I'm gonna make a sweeping generalization in that individuals who complain about;

A - the lack of "feedback" from trackingb (i count not winning as some pretty definitive feedback)

AND

B - The price being too high (really... too high for representation you say... uh huh)

....those individuals (who complain of the above) simply aren't ready yet, or have no concept of what's "valuable" in this industry.

Comment

I haven't said anything negative about trackingb. I have only acknowleged that some think the oblique nature of the way that competition is run a problem, and it is.

The only thing I pointed out was it is getting real creepy the way some here are defending this three or four year old competition like it's their grandmother that's being questioned.

I assure you, I don't lack for positive competition experiences elsewhere. I don't care one way or another about trackingb. But jesus people, tone it down.
                  I'll tone it down. Just realize the reason I got a bit miffed was because of the implication of being a shill. That doesn't speak high of my character, and it doesn't speak high of the contest. People are defending it so adamently because legitimate and rewarding contests are hard to find. There are countless sharks out there waiting to prey on new writers. They come in the form of gurus, consultants, books, and yeah, sketchy contests.
                  Ring-a-ding-ding, baby.

Comment

I'll tone it down. Just realize the reason I got a bit miffed was because of the implication of being a shill. That doesn't speak high of my character, and it doesn't speak high of the contest. People are defending it so adamently because legitimate and rewarding contests are hard to find. There are countless sharks out there waiting to prey on new writers. They come in the form of gurus, consultants, books, and yeah, sketchy contests.
                    Noir, this is exactly the point of my post: we don't know how legitimate it is without knowing more about its procedure. Contests like Nicholl and Page are the very best because we know how they operate from their faq's and posts here. In contrast, we know nothing about the TrackingB staff which seems like a very small operation yet it's taking on an ungodly amount of scripts.

TrackingB is not going to disappear nor is the hope of landing a rep from this questioning so let's stop being so precious. It can only benefit the aspiring writer from knowing more.

Comment

• Re: Trackinb Contest

Originally posted by Paradis View Post
                      (i count not winning as some pretty definitive feedback)

Yup. That's the only feedback I've ever needed.

Yous plays the game, yous takes your chances.

Nobody's holding a gun to anyone's head, making them enter any contest.
                      If you don't like any aspect of a contest's process, then don't enter it!

A contest that results in people getting repped is legit to me - that's all I need to know.
                      "Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." -[/SIZE] James R. Cook

Comment

Originally posted by AlexNoa View Post
                        Noir, this is exactly the point of my post: we don't know how legitimate it is without knowing more about its procedure. Contests like Nicholl and Page are the very best because we know how they operate from their faq's and posts here. In contrast, we know nothing about the TrackingB staff which seems like a very small operation yet it's taking on an ungodly amount of scripts.

TrackingB is not going to disappear nor is the hope of landing a rep from this questioning so let's stop being so precious. It can only benefit the aspiring writer from knowing more.
                        Don't enter then. I don't see how they need to explain anything to you beyond, "your sh*t gets read, and if its good enough, you get rep'd"

Forget "contest". you're paying for an opportunity to get representation. If that doesn't interest you, move along. No one's making you. And so nor do they have to explain anything more than they already have.

Here's a thought. Dudes from COC, AC, Madhouse, etc etc, would be like "Why are you wasting our time" if the winning scripts weren't any good. They don't get paid till YOU get paid. Why the hell would anyone wanna waste their time with flimsy constest winners if they weren't as good as advertised?
                        You think a few hundred bucks pooled from entry fees is enough to talk top management into spending their time on this?

Ridiculous.

Trackingb rewards great scripts and great writers with representation. Not moderately surveyed, selectively read, and covertly chosen... writers with representation.

Comment

Sorry, didn't mean to implicate you too closely with the point I was trying to make.

And I assure you, I know there are predators and sharks out there ripping people off, left and right. That in fact is why people are concerned about trackingb. Because they won't say how they run their operation.

Whatever. This board can get so negative sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by Paradis View Post
                            I'm gonna make a sweeping generalization in that individuals who complain about;

A - the lack of "feedback" from trackingb (i count not winning as some pretty definitive feedback)

AND

B - The price being too high (really... too high for representation you say... uh huh)

....those individuals (who complain of the above) simply aren't ready yet, or have no concept of what's "valuable" in this industry.
                            I guess your failure to answer the question you quoted means you couldn't think of one.

Comment

Originally posted by justin View Post
                              I guess your failure to answer the question you quoted means you couldn't think of one.
                              If you told a 4 year old what sex was, they'd be like - whaaat?

Don't worry about it Justin.

Comment

My sense has always been that the price and the lack of quarter finalists lists discourages tourists. You're only going to enter TrackingB if you actually think your script is going to win. I think it's that way by design.
                                Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Working...
                                X