Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Trackinb Contest

This thread is getting rather disgusting. A healthy debate is fine. But this is just starting to get venomous. I was defending TrackingB. I can't believe that the Nicholl Fellowship needs to be defended now too.

If you don't think winning a Nicholl Fellowship will help you, you don't understand this industry. Full stop.

Stop slinging accusations and unfounded bullshit everywhere. It's dangerous. A writer with real potential is going to step in it, slip, and hurt themselves.
    Ring-a-ding-ding, baby.

Comment

Keep it civil everyone, as always. Debate the topic and not the person, please.

Thanks.
      Will
      Done Deal Pro
      www.donedealpro.com

Comment

and the fodderous posting continues...

Ever wonder why members distance themselves from this place when writing becomes a career?

This thread is why.

Comment

I don't even know how I got involved in this.

Come to the defense of a writer with a legit question and 20 forum pages later you've been pulled into a meaningless argument...

At least I still got some writing done. #writersproblems

(I have no clue how hashtags work).

Comment

Originally posted by ATB View Post

This is how it feels debating with you:

Family Guy Donkey/Footloose Video
            AMEN!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by nojustice View Post
              But it has eerily joined the ranks of all the other methods of viral exploitation of underdeveloped writers, and because of that it appears to be just another marketing scam that merely seeks to attract as many $$entrants$$ as possible.
              And we're doing a damn good job on this marketing scam, given that we lose money on every entry on reading costs alone.

Comment

We will obviously only hear one side of the story.

Look, I'm sure the Nicholl started with the best of intentions. Possibly new writers were told about it by screenwriting teachers, or their reps, or they read about it in a screenwriting magazine. And Nicholl built their catalog of contacts, with a certain amount of integrity.

But it has eerily joined the ranks of all the other methods of viral exploitation of underdeveloped writers, and because of that it appears to be just another marketing scam that merely seeks to attract as many $$entrants$$ as possible.

Of course a small number of these 6000 writers will get somewhere eventually. Those have roughly been the odds for more than fifty years. One in 2000 gets somewhere.

But there is no parallel universe that can show us if in fact they might not have gotten further WITHOUT the contest. And on top of that Little Miss Sunshine has demonstrated that possibly the better scripts are in fact overlooked.

With a bit of talent, and a bit of hard work, and a bit of fire in the belly, you get where you're going. All of these contests are irrelevant to that. In fact they really only appear to have become a time-wasting distraction. Yet another cyber obstacle to draw you into its clutches.
                HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH--

Wait. You were serious?

HH

Comment

I'm not going to moderate anything here because this thread is a conflict of interest for me, but heavens to Betsy, y'all.

I can at least shed a little light on one thing. The reason finalists were sworn to secrecy on our placement until the announcement went out is because the reps and producers The Insider deals with are on board with his contest because they are promised first look at the scripts. They get to know who won before anyone else.

That's why they join the judging panel, that's why they often choose to rep the contestants, and that's why it's important to The Insider to continue bringing them scripts they can sell.

Hope that helps clear up at least some of the confusion.
                  Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Has anyone heard any of the TrackingB winners complaining? I certainly haven't. If it's only the losers, then I think you can pretty much discount the complaints.

No one forces you to enter a contest. Do your due dilligence, if you don't think the prizes are worth it, then don't enter. But, if they deliver what is promised then it's no scam. TrackingB hustles like crazy for finalists and winners.

Comment

I'm not a loser.

The weird thing that seems to happen to some of them is that they take on a consciousness of having to write "to please contest readers".

That's not healthy either.

You write for an audience, not according to a book that tells you how to please a contest reader.

And there is also now an attitude, promoted here, probably by people who have done well in a contest, that somehow you mustn't be a very good or skilled writer if you don't place in a contest.

Well, that's obviously, on so many levels, some sort of madness. That's writer-murder. To be given the impression that they must be inadequate.

It's the viral, tangled up with money, tangled up with the desperately trying to break in thing, it's a weird mental trap for a lot of them. The most creative especially. They seem to be the ones who get most caught up with it. Big imaginations.

But they are often also the most talented. And end up the most damaged.

And look at the new writers who have broken in, in the past 5 years or so. They've done so by seeking out like minded people. That's still the only way.

Comment

This is long so if you're in a rush, skip to the red bold bits.

Originally posted by ATB
                        "I hadn't felt I was at the required standard" vs "I'm not at the required standard" hardly seems like a misquote to me.
                        One is past, one is present. You also had my explanation to clear away any confusion as to what I meant so yeah, it's a misquote.

Originally posted by ATB
                        Especially when you've also said, "I've never said I'm ready to be a pro" or something similar.
                        Correct, I never said I was ready to go pro. Just like I never said I wasn't. Yet here you are, trying to catch me saying something I didn't.

You hadn't felt you were ready a week ago but you are now.
                        Where did I say this? I didn't make any statement on my writing.

Originally posted by ATB
                        Okay, sorry, my bad. Didn't realize things changed so quickly for you.
                        Nothing has changed. You're pulling this out of thin air. And thus fall flat on your face with comments like this.

Either way, my point is that you can't judge a writer's skill-level based on their feelings about a contest. And that's what you were doing.
                        Yes I did. But so did others. So why aren't you trying to give them a hard time? I have my thoughts on that matter.

On a pedantic level, you have a point but as said, we all interpret what people say and how they act. We cannot not do it. You've been "guilty" of the same. Whenever we comment on who should get accepted/rejected on X Factor we are doing it. Saying we shouldn't form opinions unless we know exactly what's going on in their head, or unless we are pros in that field, is ludicrous. By your logic, my comments about not being ready would be fair game had Craig Mazin said them - even though he'd be no wiser as to what's really going in their head.

The point you're missing is that neither I, Paradis nor Emily commented on their writing - just how they came across. Is that so hard for you to understand? We were musing that their reticence was down to concerns about their writing. Their work was not even being judged!

Originally posted by ATB
                        You've said that you can judge whether an athlete is good enough to go pro even though you have no experience in the sport you're watching. But no, you shouldn't do that either. You can talk amongst your friends and make fun of a college athlete for ****ing up, but you can't tell that athlete they're not good enough for the next level. Because you don't know that. You can't know that. And it's ridiculous to think so.
                        You don't need to be a pro to realise I'm not good enough to play in the NBA. It's no coincidence I identified Messi, Zidane and Baggio as being elite class and they then went on to be amongst the top players of all time. And though Henry was one of the greatest players in the Premier League, his recent two month loan spell back has shown he's no longer the player he was and is at the right level in the MLS, which is several tiers below the Premier League.

But the point is that I wasn't telling an athlete he isn't good enough to play at the next level based on his skill but that I was hearing his concerns and doubts about trying out for a pro team and telling him that IMO that's a sign he isn't ready. Get it? I'm not commenting on his prowess but his words - what he is saying. All that subtext that writers like to yak about! And I made it clear it was IMO.

And just so you know I'm not being a hypocrite, Fig jumped to a conclusion about me without knowing the full details and misreading my Act I thread. I had no issue with him interpreting my words and believing I wasn't pro standard.

Okay, go ahead and tell me others were too. Fine. Wonderful. But not as adamantly as you were and are.
                        Not so fast. There is nothing I said that was anyway more vociferous than Paradis and Emily. My comments were short and sweet and even paraphrased and referenced them. The bulk of my replies - which quoted you and were adamant - were about the demand for transparency. Two different kettles of fish. If you believe otherwise, go and quote where I was more outspoken than anyone else who shared the same viewpoint.
                        Last edited by SundownInRetreat; 02-23-2012, 09:26 AM.
                        M.A.G.A.

Comment

Season of the Witch, Nicholl's biggest success:

"Season of the Witch is watchable for the most part but save some money, stay home, wait for it to be released on DVD and rent it so you can enjoy it in the space of your own home. Besides, you might have some vacuuming to do or the first chance all day to read the newspaper and in the background Season of the Witch can cover up the neighbor's dogs barking or rush hour traffic returning home after a long day at work."
                          This was an ill-timed slam. Because, interestingly, listed as of today, on Done Deal's own Latest Deals blurbs are TWO scripts by Ehren Kruger that have just been purchased. One, "Untitled Matterhorn Project" and one, along with a co-writer, titled, "Invertigo."

I agree Witch wasn't a great film. But as you very well know, bad movies can be made from good scripts. Happens all the time. How exactly is Nicholl responsible for that? They didn't produce, direct, and act in it did they? Come on.

Also, here is a list of what other Nicholl fellows have accomplished.

http://www.oscars.org/awards/nicholl...s/notable.html

Nobody is telling you to enter a contest you don't believe in. No one. And it's very true -- Good writers may not win a contest that they hope to win. But, hello, welcome to life. Life is unfair. But that doesn't mean that a lot of writers do, in fact, owe a lot to Nicholl for helping to launch their career. Maybe they would've found success by seeking likeminded people, which is what you suggest. But just maybe (and possibly trackingB too) just maybe, they were ushered into that POSITION of meeting likeminded people BECAUSE of their win.

Comment

Sundown -- I was going to reply to your post but then I thought, why bother? Your desire to pick a fight with anyone on topics that only seem to exist in your own head is rather puzzling. But alas, no longer care.

Bless your heart, girl. Let it go.

Comment

Last edited by SundownInRetreat; 02-23-2012, 09:46 AM.
                              M.A.G.A.

Comment

Originally posted by figment View Post
                                Sundown -- I was going to reply to your post but then I thought, why bother?
                                Good. It wasn't aimed at you and I stopped paying attention to you a while ago, when you failed to fix your fcked up understanding of my Act I thread, despite having it explained to you, and so any comment really would have been a waste of your time.
                                Last edited by SundownInRetreat; 02-23-2012, 06:30 AM.
                                M.A.G.A.

Comment

Working...
                                X