No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Trackinb Contest

I see, so it's all about a few writers getting repped.<<

Repped and read. Yes. That's what the contest does.

Comment

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
      According to the TrackingB site and by my count, 27 of the 39 writers (including teams) who have been finalist and honorable mention writers have representation. It isn't clear but it appears as if several of the 27 already had a rep prior to entering. Of the approximately 24 writers who gained representation after placing in TrackingB, 7 were signed by one managerial firm, 4 by one agency and 3 by another managerial firm. I don't claim that this means anything ...
      No? Then why are you mentioning it?

I don't have a dog in this fight. I think both Nicholl and TrackingB are great contests. And, Greg, I think it's terrific that you've made yourself available here on DDP to answer questions about Nicholl, even though in most cases the answers are already available on your website. But, for the life of me, I cannot understand why you've suddenly started engaging in all of this talk about OTHER contests on this thread and on the one that I started. You say you're just innocently sharing information, trying to help people out by giving them all the "facts," etc. But, as evidenced by your comments here about TrackingB, that's obviously not the extent of it. Let's be honest. You've made a variety of negative insinuations about a rival competition, which, given Nicholl's status as the undisputed king of screenplay contests, you do not need to do. I think it's unseemly, and, frankly, I've lost a little respect for Nicholl as a result. As I said before, I'm a 2011 Semifinalist, and I'm very grateful for everything that Nicholl has done for me. But this is beneath you.

As for the merits of TrackingB itself, for whatever it may be worth, I have it on good information from my managers that "The Insider" is the real deal, and I've had a couple of exchanges with him via email that led me to believe he runs his contest fairly and works dilligently to advance the careers of those who are selected.

Comment

Originally posted by Aspirant View Post
        No? Then why are you mentioning it?
        Because of the penchant for people posting in this thread to make stuff up.

Comment

Originally posted by nojustice View Post
          I see, so it's all about a few writers getting repped.

Do you really think this is your only chance at getting repped?

How many new writers are repped each year, versus the number who are repped by contests?

Maybe 5 to 500?

So we're maybe looking at 1% of new writers getting repped by a contest. And how many of those are still with the same rep the next year?

Half of those?

And within 2 years, half again?

So, in reality, about 0.25% of new writers are getting long term representation is through a contest.

Dude, you think Oscar winning writers should be mutilated and left in a bloody mud puddle for those odds? Oh, that's right, you're a winner, so, of course you think they should.
          I'll repeat what's been said earlier: you don't have a clue.

Comment

I still don't understand the Little Miss Sunshine reference or what that script has to do with entering a contest. Did Arndt somewhere say that the script had been entered into contests and failed to advance?

Comment

Originally posted by Aspirant View Post
              I think it's unseemly, and, frankly, I've lost a little respect for Nicholl as a result.
              That's a bit strong, don't you think?

If I remember correctly, Greg Beal only commented about the reps that take on winners of TB because someone mentioned they were "the big guns" and the "top dogs" of the industry.

He was just showing that there's recurring names on the reps list on TB's website. So you can't say the big guns of the industry are reading all of these scripts when the website says different.

It's an observation meant to prove someone else's claim incorrect. Nothing more.

It certainly was not brought up out of thin air and had no malicious intent. IMO.

Comment

This is the arrogance of it.

Well then why do I get paid to write screenplays, while you get paid to promote an amateur contest?

How would you calculate the real world percentages then?

Comment

And imagine for a second, that the writer of Little Miss Sunshine had believed these contest outcomes, and the resulting claims that he's just not "ready" or that he's not skilled, or good enough.
                  FYI, Michael Arndt was a Nicholl semifinalist in 1991. On his regret letter upon not reaching the finals, I added a note about how much one judge had loved his script.

When Mike delivered the keynote address at the 25th anniversary Nicholl Awards Dinner in 2010, he mentioned how that note helped keep him writing for the ten years prior to Little Miss Sunshine being optioned in 2001.

BTW, Mike was also a Nicholl semifinalist in 2001 with yet another script.

Comment

That would be the clue.
                    Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Originally posted by SBScript View Post
                      Completely agree about the physical offices thing--totally irrelevant.

And, it's an interesting question, what if there were no readers? What he was reading every script himself? And then passing on his top twelve (or whatever the number is) to his judges? Would people have a problem with that?

I mean, I can tell you in a couple pages if someone can write. I've passed on scripts in ten pages. 90% of his submissions could probably be thrown out by reading five pages. What if he did that? Would people have a problem with it? Probably. But you know what, it mirrors the REAL WORLD more than guaranteeing someone a full read of their script for an entry fee.
                      After 26 pages, this seems to be the bottomline: for entrants, if you feel uncomfortable without knowing the process, refrain from entering. If you do, then enter.

Personally, for the amount of the entry fee and with other comparable contests out there for half the price, I don't feel comfortable without knowing the process - that is, how scripts are judged and by who, especially given the number of scripts and apparent downscale size of the TrackingB staff, before the final scripts are brought to the industry panel.

With a non-transparent process, it is also impossible for me to rate TrackingB in the top tier with Austin and Page, with Nicholl being at the very summit.

Comment

Sure, the exploitation of underdeveloped writers became viral, but there are at least 6-8 contests that have a proven track record of opening doors for new writers and are well worth entering.

Think of it this way: by entering a contest you keep it alive, by keeping it alive you help a few writers break in. While it's not as sweet as breaking in yourself, it's still something you should feel good about. And maybe, just maybe, one day it will be your turn.

Comment

This is the arrogance of it.

Well then why do I get paid to write screenplays, while you get paid to promote an amateur contest?

How would you calculate the real world percentages then?
                          Perhaps I'm misunderstanding. What does your being a paid screenwriter have to do with you posting mostly total bs in this thread? (Although I must admit one of your posts from early this morning [I think] was thoughtful and almost entirely accurate.)

Comment

Originally posted by Eleanor_of_Aquitaine View Post
                            Sure, the exploitation of underdeveloped writers became viral, but there are at least 6-8 contests that have a proven track record of opening doors for new writers and are well worth entering.

Think of it this way: by entering a contest you keep it alive, by keeping it alive you help a few writers break in. While it's not as sweet as breaking in yourself, it's still something you should feel good about. And maybe, just maybe, one day it will be your turn.
                            Viral exploitation is just that. There's nothing good about it.

Comment

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding. What does your being a paid screenwriter have to do with you posting mostly total bs in this thread? (Although I must admit one of your posts from early this morning [I think] was thoughtful and almost entirely accurate.)
                              I think my calculations are pretty accurate. The intensity of the focus on the contests here is the bs.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexNoa View Post
                                After 26 pages, this seems to be the bottomline: for entrants, if you feel uncomfortable without knowing the process, refrain from entering. If you do, then enter.

Personally, for the amount of the entry fee and with other comparable contests out there for half the price, I don't feel comfortable without knowing the process - that is, how scripts are judged and by who, especially given the number of scripts and apparent downscale size of the TrackingB staff, before the final scripts are brought to the industry panel.

With a non-transparent process, it is also impossible for me to rate TrackingB in the top tier with Austin and Page, with Nicholl being at the very summit.
                                I couldn't find it on the website... Curious, who does read for Austin and how do they judge?

Comment

Working...
                                X