Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Champion Screenwriting Contest

Any word on quarterfinalist results yet? I believe they're a few weeks overdue.

Re: Champion Screenwriting Contest

We are about a month behind. I am working on getting the last few scripts out to readers that we had to "re-get" from about a dozen people (of those who used our entry mechanism at the site). And I am finishing up the scenes and pitches, myself. I think Wednesday is very doable as far as the announcements of quarterfinalists.

Sorry for the delay.

Jim Mercurio

Comment

So it's Wednesday, 10:30pm. Still no word. Maybe Jim has forgotten how to treat writers.

Comment

Quarters were posted on Champion's blog this afternoon. Jim said that he'll be adding to the list for the next couple of days.

Comment

I found Jim's answers to his tardiness and pushing the "blame" off to be very unprofessional. He used to co-sponsor a content with Julie Gray and we all know how that went. My friend entered a couple of scripts this year in his contest that won awards at Austin and other places and it didn't even make the quarterfinals. I know this stuff is subjective but this is why I don't even enter these small contests... they're always late to announce and they end up not fulfilling their prize promises. Hopefully Jim will come through but after looking at the posts/blogs and other people I know who are upset, I'm worried that we have another Silverscreenwriting contest out there.

Comment

Originally posted by writenowdude View Post
            I found Jim's answers to his tardiness and pushing the "blame" off to be very unprofessional... they're always late to announce and they end up not fulfilling their prize promises. Hopefully Jim will come through but after looking at the posts/blogs and other people I know who are upset, I'm worried that we have another Silverscreenwriting contest out there.
            I wouldn't equate it with Silver Screenwriting just yet. I concur though, the delay of what, two months for the qf announcement has annoyed me infinitely. And there are still the sfs and finals to go which at this rate may be announced in May.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexNoa View Post
              I wouldn't equate it with Silver Screenwriting just yet. I concur though, the delay of what, two months for the qf announcement has annoyed me infinitely. And there are still the sfs and finals to go which at this rate may be announced in May.
              I implemented a system that would allow my company to accept scripts outside of WAB and I did not completely understand that system and some of the additional labor it would require by me so the contest (which is me) fell behind. We are less than 1.5 months behind and will finish up the QF list in less than a month and a half after the original 11/11 estimate posted at WAB. I, my, I, me. Not sure where I am pushing the blame.

I was involved with Silver Screenwriting in only its first year. I had no ownership of or association with that contest after that.

I had been planning on having the Champion Lab in mid-January because the year before it was too close to the Holidays for some people (it ended around 12/18). I may push it till a few weeks later but I think top 20 writers will have at least a month's notice to attend.

Will have half of the remaining updates up on the blog today and hopefully the rest of them by tomorrow.

Jim

Comment

I've got no dog in this fight, because I've never entered this contest. But I think a big part of the real explanation for what's going on is tucked inside this prior post by Jim on the MovieBytes message board, back on November 29:

"Hey Everyone, No evil conspiracy. We're just behind a bit. The non-Wab system added 100 hours of administrative stuff, so I just got the last 300 scripts out to readers. I am hoping that we can get all of the first round results within a week. I spread the contest out this year because I wanted there to be some flexibility. Since we are a month behind, I will push the Champion Lab dates back a bit if I have to. Or I will find some creative ways to make up for the inconvenience. (Like in the past two years, I gave some of the top 20 3 hours of my DVDs to watch and then shortened the length of their session in LA to save them money.) I am working on a couple projects that are vital to the continuing existence of my company -- book, DVD set, feature film, publishing arm with some cool teachers -- but we will get everything done we promised. We are just a month behind."

(emphasis supplied). The guy's overextended, and the contest is not his top priority, plain and simple. This is why second-tier contests should be avoided.

Comment

Working...
                X