Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Amazon million dollar finalists posted

And here I thought this thread was just about the finalists.

HH

Comment

Originally posted by KenRichards View Post
      Oh my god...
      what the head makes cloudy the heart makes very clear

Comment

Big Bill: We're discussing apples and oranges. As NoJustice pointed out, Amazon has no presence in or capability for the traditional distribution of theatrical films to theaters -- which is the only thing that has ever made Hollywood "the movie industry." And that was my point.
        If you're talking about a massive direct-to-DVD (Amazon) or VOD market, that is a different business. Maybe Amazon hopes the industry will turn that way, but the studios will obviously do everything they can to protect their business model, even if the number of films that gets made shrinks every year -- which is indeed already happening.
        Amazon has a "first look" deal with WB -- EXCEPT, as has been pointed out in numerous media reports, unlike most first look deals with prodcos, Amazon has gotten zero $$$ and no office on the lot, etc. -- which shows how much WB thinks of what they're doing, so far at least. They're simply willing to look at what Amazon submits to them. And so far, absolutely nothing has come of that.
        AND, based on the general quality of the scripts I've read so far at Amazon, IF they were to submit any of them, the WB deal wouldn't last for very long.
        But my primary point was about the "test movies," which I just find to be a ridiculous exercise in spending money. If I ran the place -- and wanted a return on my investment, based on the longstanding Hollywood business model -- I'd use the same $1 million to purchase 10 scripts at the WGA minimum -- and get 10 new writers into the WGA at the same time. Then, just as studios do, I'd put those scripts into development and come up with something I could sell to WB and get made.
        Does that not make more sense?

Comment

Seriously. Just stop with the debate about Amazon in this thread. You guys want to argue about it some more, start another thread.

HH

Comment

one more day!!!

$1 million for best test movie
            $100,000 for best script
            either of which may or may not get made in a full theatrical release, but who cares? seriously! a couple of people are gonna get their bills paid and amazon is going to pay it!

Comment

Originally posted by haroldhecuba View Post
              Seriously. Just stop with the debate about Amazon in this thread. You guys want to argue about it some more, start another thread.

HH

You ought to know, EVERY thread devolves into a debate. Screenwriters are the most annoying part of any population. They think they know everything.

Comment

Originally posted by jtwg50 View Post

the studios will obviously do everything they can to protect their business model, even if the number of films that gets made shrinks every year -- which is indeed already happening.
                The studios don't need to protect the business model. The model was created by the market. They still like going to the movies. That's the format feature film is, was and has always been, designed for. A night out. It was never intended for the small screen, and individual sales. That will only ever be a poor cousin.

Comment

The winners were announced, and alas Gary didn't win the million -- "only" about $350k this year.

Here's the video of the guy who won:

http://amazonstudios.tumblr.com/post...er-rob-gardner
                  "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

My sister called me right when I was waiting to get the big call.

My heart skipped a beat as I answered the phone. Then realized it wasn't Amazon Studios calling.

And we captured it all on film.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Dragan Milin View Post
                      My sister called me right when I was waiting to get the big call.

My heart skipped a beat as I answered the phone. Then realized it wasn't Amazon Studios calling.

And we captured it all on film.

Did Amazon suggest you film/record that day?

HH

Comment

i'm guessing they told all the 5 five finalists to record their own publisher's clearinghouse moment.

Comment

for those of you who were wondering whether anyone from AS has found representation, the annual winner for best script (not the test movie) just signed with Circle of Confusion.

Comment

If I ran the place -- and wanted a return on my investment, based on the longstanding Hollywood business model -- I'd use the same $1 million to purchase 10 scripts at the WGA minimum
                            But you have to ask, how many of the people who have submitted screenplays to amazon have gone on to purchase products from amazon? I'm sure they've already recouped that $1 million selling guru books, dvd's etc...

Sometimes the business model isn't obvious. If they really wanted to make movies they wouldn't be running a silly content.
                            Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

Comment

Originally posted by haroldhecuba View Post
                              Did Amazon suggest you film/record that day?

HH
                              Yep!

There was a two hour window during which the call was supposed to come in so we didn't have to wait the whole day.

But it was still the longest two hours of my life!

Comment

sounds nervewracking! congrats on all the success with AS.

Comment

Working...
                                X