• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nicholl Fellowship 2012 open for submissions

Good luck everyone!!

http://www.oscars.org/awards/nicholl/apply.html

Changes:

1) All first round scripts will be read by two different readers this year before it's determined if they move forward. So no one will get kicked out by an initial read.
    2) The awarded Fellowships are 35k rather than 30k.

Re: Nicholl Fellowship 2012 open for submissions

Both changes are pretty great. I guess I picked a good year to enter.
    Ring-a-ding-ding, baby.

Comment

Four additional changes:

The early deadline has been moved up to March 15 (the regular deadline remains May 1).

Early entry fee is now $35.

Regular entry fee is now $52.

We have rewritten the collaboration rule slightly in order to make clear that collaborations must be equal partnerships from the start to finish of a script. In other words, both writers must create the story and the screenplay together.

Originally posted by figment View Post
      Good luck everyone!!

http://www.oscars.org/awards/nicholl/apply.html

Changes:

1) All first round scripts will be read by two different readers this year before it's determined if they move forward. So no one will get kicked out by an initial read.
      2) The awarded Fellowships are 35k rather than 30k.

Comment

Originally posted by figment View Post

1) All first round scripts will be read by two different readers this year before it's determined if they move forward. So no one will get kicked out by an initial read
        Fantastic change!

The Nicholl is, as ever, the best run and undisputed king of contests.

Comment

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
          Four additional changes:

The early deadline has been moved up to March 15 (the regular deadline remains May 1).

Early entry fee is now $35.

Regular entry fee is now $52.

We have rewritten the collaboration rule slightly in order to make clear that collaborations must be equal partnerships from the start to finish of a script. In other words, both writers must create the story and the screenplay together.
          Love that scripts now have to be read twice in the first round. Awesome change, Greg!

Comment

Originally posted by lordmanji View Post
            Love that scripts now have to be read twice in the first round.
            Great. Just what I need on my conscience: two people who will go blind by gouging out their eyes after reading my script.

HH

Comment

Thanks for the info, figment & Greg!

This year will be my 1st time entering the Nicholl! WOOHOO!

"Trust your stuff." -- Dave Righetti, Pitching Coach

( Formerly "stvnlra" )

Comment

Another change (or clarification): people who won more than $5K on Amazon Studios aren't eligible for the Nicholl.

"People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

not really a big change. people who rec'd $5000 anywhere for their writing are not eligible.

Comment

greg -- what does the fellowship include beside financial support? mentorship? or anything like that?

Comment

Nikee - not so. Other contest wins of more than $5000 would not render one ineligible. Amazon is considered a special case.

Comment

Yet another example of how Amazon continues to brazenly RUIN PEOPLE'S LIVES!

Comment

My life was hardly "ruined" by the $10,000 they gave me. And it also probably won't be ruined when they release the test movie they're making of my script.

And this was Greg's decision -- not something to blame Amazon for.

Which ruined lives are you referring to?

Comment

Originally posted by LauriD View Post
                            Nikee - not so. Other contest wins of more than $5000 would not render one ineligible. Amazon is considered a special case.
                            Nope, not true. Amazon Studios is not considered a special case. Here's the pertinent rule, which did not change from last year to this year:

1. An entrant's total earnings for motion picture and television writing may not exceed US$5,000 before the end of the competition. This limit applies to compensation for motion picture and television writing services as well as for the sale of (or sale of an option on) screenplays, teleplays, stage plays, books, treatments, stories, premises and any other source material.

Entrants may not have received screenwriting fellowships or prizes totaling more than US$5,000 that include a "first look" clause, an option or any other quid pro quo involving the writer's work.

We're treating the Amazon Studios screenwriting prizes just as we did those from Disney, Chesterfield and Nickelodeon, as well as other lesser known competitions.

Here's the interpretation of the rule as it applies in this case: when a production company (or any entity whose goal is to produce movies) awards a writer more than $5,000, we consider that money to be professional earnings.

We added a question and answer to the FAQs specifically about Amazon Studios since some people seemed unable to understand the existing Nicholl rule.

Comment

OK, I should have said "special case along with other contests run by production companies..."

As distinct from contests that offer more than $5000 (such as Page, etc.) but which are NOT production companies.

Comment

Working...
                              X