• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NikeeGoddess
    replied
    Re: Nicholl Fellowship 2012 open for submissions

I guess we can't repeat this enough:
    and why is that really. shouldn't everyone be able to read and comprehend "simple" sentences? is the pressure that bad?

Leave a comment:

• Hilander
    replied

Originally posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
    ...except at this very moment I just remembered that I left my name on the cover -- ****. Hope I'm still good.
    you're good, no worries. On the Nicholl front page they say

The Nicholl Fellowships in Screenwriting
    I guess we can't repeat this enough: if you forget to remove your name, address, phone, etc. from your title page, do not freak out. We check every entry and remove names, etc. as necessary. No entries are disqualified due to a name being left on a title page.

If you discover a major problem with the PDF you uploaded after completing your submission, contact us via email with the circumstances at nicholl at oscars.org. If it's the same day or even within a day or two, we can usually solve the problem.

In any case, whatever the circumstances, do not submit a new draft or version of your screenplay. That is against the rules and could result in the disqualification of both versions.
    April 26 at 5:14pm

Leave a comment:

• habronic
    replied

Originally posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
    ...except at this very moment I just remembered that I left my name on the cover -- ****. Hope I'm still good.
    You're supposed to leave your name off the cover, it's in the FAQs

Leave a comment:

• Dr. Gonzo
    replied

Well I just entered... thought about it for two years but finally took the plunge.
    I'm a happy camper.

Leave a comment:

• JoJo
    replied

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
    In an attempt to avoid a midnight hour system overload, we have decided to extend the Nicholl deadline until 2:00 pm Pacific Time on May 2.

That gives everyone still working towards the deadline an additional 14 hours to submit scripts.
    Much thanks for all the extra effort and bonus points for having to put up with the cry-babies!

Leave a comment:

• Rhodi
    replied

Hmm, that's interesting. On those numbers I'd guess that about 75% of entrants put in a single entry and 25% of entrants put in 2-3 entries. Could be wrong.

Anyway, good luck over the next couple of stressful days, Greg and team!

Leave a comment:

• gregbeal
    replied

Originally posted by Rhodi View Post
    I cannot believe that there are people on the Facebook page complaining about the 14 hour extension. Writers can be such a whiny bunch.

Greg, I have a question, apologies if it's been answered previously: you mentioned previously that you are expecting around 7000 entries but, given people may submit up to three entries, approximately how many entrants would you expect? I'm guessing the majority of writers submit only one script?
    Nor do I believe it.

Our new, super-duper extra special robust SQL Server database has been built in such a way that we can't easily count individuals versus entrants. When we were around 6300 a few years ago, individuals numbered in the low to mid-5000s.

Leave a comment:

• Rhodi
    replied

I cannot believe that there are people on the Facebook page complaining about the 14 hour extension. Writers can be such a whiny bunch.

Greg, I have a question, apologies if it's been answered previously: you mentioned previously that you are expecting around 7000 entries but, given people may submit up to three entries, approximately how many entrants would you expect? I'm guessing the majority of writers submit only one script?

Leave a comment:

• gregbeal
    replied

Originally posted by versed View Post
    If you're lucky enough to be excerpted on the Facebook page, does the writer ever find that out during/after the contest? Just curious...

And if you are excerpted, does that mean you're guaranteed a third read?
    No, we don't reveal the names of writers or scripts for which comments were posted.

Not guaranteed, but it's quite likely.

Leave a comment:

• versed
    replied

If you're lucky enough to be excerpted on the Facebook page, does the writer ever find that out during/after the contest? Just curious...

And if you are excerpted, does that mean you're guaranteed a third read?

Leave a comment:

• iggy
    replied

In an attempt to avoid a midnight hour system overload, we have decided to extend the Nicholl deadline until 2:00 pm Pacific Time on May 2.

That gives everyone still working towards the deadline an additional 14 hours to submit scripts.
    God bless you.

Leave a comment:

• gregbeal
    replied

Leave a comment:

• JoJo
    replied

Originally posted by versed View Post
    Submitted yesterday! Took gregbeal's advice and tried to beat the rush.

This is my first contest, so I'm hoping to at least find out if I a) suck, or b) have potential.

Good idea to beat the rush! Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• P-jay
    replied

A recommendation:

Don't worry about categories.
    Don't worry about competitions.
    Don't worry about readers.
    Don't worry about agents.
    Don't worry about managers.
    Don't worry about producers.
    Don't worry about executives.

If you must:

Worry about finding and developing a great story.
    Worry about writing the best script you can write.
    Worry about writing your next script - and the one after that.
    I love this. All the stuff you tell us not to worry about are things I hate thinking about. And the things you tell us to worry about (if we must worry), are the things I enjoy and want to focus on.

I'm going to post this somewhere near my computer.

Leave a comment:

• figment
    replied

Really inspiring post on the Nicholl facebook page, where a winner from last year's contest tells you what it's like.

http://www.facebook.com/notes/the-ni...50700743666452

It's also on the wordplay forum, but I can never get access to that site...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X