X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nicholl Fellowship 2012 open for submissions

Originally posted by iggy View Post
    Greg,

Now that you've got 2 readers grading every first round script, do you find the whole process is as subjective as everyone says?

Are you getting similar scores (total and across the categories) from both readers or are they wildly divergent?

Thanks!
    We've been second and third (and fourth through tenth) reading scripts for years. Several thousand second reads each year. Reading all the entries twice isn't going to alter the fact that evaluating screenplays is always going to be a subjective enterprise.

While I haven't done any analysis, I suspect there may be more first and second read agreement between readers this year than in prior years (in part because the seriously mediocre and worse are obvious to most readers).

Comment

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
      We've been second and third (and fourth through tenth) reading scripts for years. Several thousand second reads each year. Reading all the entries twice isn't going to alter the fact that evaluating screenplays is always going to be a subjective enterprise.

While I haven't done any analysis, I suspect there may be more first and second read agreement between readers this year than in prior years (in part because the seriously mediocre and worse are obvious to most readers).
      Thanks.

Comment

I apologize if this has been asked, but do you recommend we register our scripts with the WGA before submitting?

Comment

Originally posted by versed View Post
          I apologize if this has been asked, but do you recommend we register our scripts with the WGA before submitting?
          Per the rules, including an LoC and/or WGA registration number on the title page is allowed but is not required.
          Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 04-29-2012, 05:53 PM. Reason: Fix

Comment

This is under their FAQ *

In regards to "categories," I believe focusing on these seven aspects (bold-face is mine) would be an excellent starting place. Next look at the reader's comments to see how they react to these aspects.

The goal of the Nicholl Fellowships is to identify and encourage talented new screenwriters. In looking at the entry scripts, we consider all aspects of a screenplay including story, storytelling, dialogue, characterization, structure, craft and writing.
            There is no mention of Marketability, Cast-Ability, Commerciality, Or Market Potential (Salability).

*FAQ Category Miscellaneous
            Question (Follows # of entries answer)
            Q. If English is not my first language, will that affect my entry in any way?

Comment

Originally posted by Hilander View Post
              There is no mention of Marketability, Cast-Ability, Commerciality, Or Market Potential (Salability).

*FAQ Category Miscellaneous
              Question (Follows # of entries answer)
              this is a good thing b/c those factors can often get in the way of good storytelling.

if possible - you should have a native English speaker proofread and/or edit your script. it shouldn't effect your entry if the story is really good, but multiple grammar and spelling mistakes is something that cannot escape the mind of most readers.

Comment

Submitted yesterday! Took gregbeal's advice and tried to beat the rush.

This is my first contest, so I'm hoping to at least find out if I a) suck, or b) have potential.

Comment

Originally posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
                  if possible - you should have a native English speaker proofread and/or edit your script. it shouldn't effect your entry if the story is really good, but multiple grammar and spelling mistakes is something that cannot escape the mind of most readers.
                  NikeeGoddess sorry for any confusion. The ESL wasn't a/my question, it was a Nicholl FAQ. I listed it since there was only a link to the category "Miscellaneous" not to the actual question, and I wanted people to find the source I used. It was in answering that FAQ that they gave the information about aspects I quoted.

I concur that anyone with weak English writing skills ought to have someone proof it.

For clarity here is the question and answer in its entirety.

A. Not if you write in English as well as a native speaker. Telling an interesting story well and clearly is certainly a main component of an entry's evaluation. English language writing skills less than those of a native speaker usually hampers the telling in English of any story. As writing ability is considered in the overall evaluation of each entry, poor or mediocre English writing skills will diminish the chances of success in the competition.

The goal of the Nicholl Fellowships is to identify and encourage talented new screenwriters. In looking at the entry scripts, we consider all aspects of a screenplay including story, storytelling, dialogue, characterization, structure, craft and writing.

Comment

Really inspiring post on the Nicholl facebook page, where a winner from last year's contest tells you what it's like.

http://www.facebook.com/notes/the-ni...50700743666452

It's also on the wordplay forum, but I can never get access to that site...

Comment

A recommendation:

Don't worry about categories.
                      Don't worry about competitions.
                      Don't worry about readers.
                      Don't worry about agents.
                      Don't worry about managers.
                      Don't worry about producers.
                      Don't worry about executives.

If you must:

Worry about finding and developing a great story.
                      Worry about writing the best script you can write.
                      Worry about writing your next script - and the one after that.
                      I love this. All the stuff you tell us not to worry about are things I hate thinking about. And the things you tell us to worry about (if we must worry), are the things I enjoy and want to focus on.

I'm going to post this somewhere near my computer.

Comment

Submitted yesterday! Took gregbeal's advice and tried to beat the rush.

This is my first contest, so I'm hoping to at least find out if I a) suck, or b) have potential.

Good idea to beat the rush! Good luck!
                        "Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." -[/SIZE] James R. Cook

Comment

In an attempt to avoid a midnight hour system overload, we have decided to extend the Nicholl deadline until 2:00 pm Pacific Time on May 2.

That gives everyone still working towards the deadline an additional 14 hours to submit scripts.

Comment

In an attempt to avoid a midnight hour system overload, we have decided to extend the Nicholl deadline until 2:00 pm Pacific Time on May 2.

That gives everyone still working towards the deadline an additional 14 hours to submit scripts.
                            God bless you.

Comment

If you're lucky enough to be excerpted on the Facebook page, does the writer ever find that out during/after the contest? Just curious...

And if you are excerpted, does that mean you're guaranteed a third read?

Comment

If you're lucky enough to be excerpted on the Facebook page, does the writer ever find that out during/after the contest? Just curious...

And if you are excerpted, does that mean you're guaranteed a third read?
                                No, we don't reveal the names of writers or scripts for which comments were posted.

Not guaranteed, but it's quite likely.

Comment

Working...
                                X