Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nicholl Fellowship 2012 open for submissions

I cannot believe that there are people on the Facebook page complaining about the 14 hour extension. Writers can be such a whiny bunch.

Greg, I have a question, apologies if it's been answered previously: you mentioned previously that you are expecting around 7000 entries but, given people may submit up to three entries, approximately how many entrants would you expect? I'm guessing the majority of writers submit only one script?

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodi View Post
      I cannot believe that there are people on the Facebook page complaining about the 14 hour extension. Writers can be such a whiny bunch.

Greg, I have a question, apologies if it's been answered previously: you mentioned previously that you are expecting around 7000 entries but, given people may submit up to three entries, approximately how many entrants would you expect? I'm guessing the majority of writers submit only one script?
      Nor do I believe it.

Our new, super-duper extra special robust SQL Server database has been built in such a way that we can't easily count individuals versus entrants. When we were around 6300 a few years ago, individuals numbered in the low to mid-5000s.

Comment

Hmm, that's interesting. On those numbers I'd guess that about 75% of entrants put in a single entry and 25% of entrants put in 2-3 entries. Could be wrong.

Anyway, good luck over the next couple of stressful days, Greg and team!

Comment

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
          In an attempt to avoid a midnight hour system overload, we have decided to extend the Nicholl deadline until 2:00 pm Pacific Time on May 2.

That gives everyone still working towards the deadline an additional 14 hours to submit scripts.
          Much thanks for all the extra effort and bonus points for having to put up with the cry-babies!
          "Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." -[/SIZE] James R. Cook

Comment

Well I just entered... thought about it for two years but finally took the plunge.
            I'm a happy camper.

...except at this very moment I just remembered that I left my name on the cover -- ****. Hope I'm still good.
            INT. DR. GONZO'S HOTEL ROOM - NIGHT

A glass of BOURBON in one hand and a COMPUTER MOUSE in the other,
            Dr. Gonzo contemplates getting off the message board and back to his script.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
              ...except at this very moment I just remembered that I left my name on the cover -- ****. Hope I'm still good.
              You're supposed to leave your name off the cover, it's in the FAQs
              Aiming for mediocrity and falling well short =)

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
                you're good, no worries. On the Nicholl front page they say

The Nicholl Fellowships in Screenwriting
                I guess we can't repeat this enough: if you forget to remove your name, address, phone, etc. from your title page, do not freak out. We check every entry and remove names, etc. as necessary. No entries are disqualified due to a name being left on a title page.

If you discover a major problem with the PDF you uploaded after completing your submission, contact us via email with the circumstances at nicholl at oscars.org. If it's the same day or even within a day or two, we can usually solve the problem.

In any case, whatever the circumstances, do not submit a new draft or version of your screenplay. That is against the rules and could result in the disqualification of both versions.
                April 26 at 5:14pm

Comment

I guess we can't repeat this enough:
                  and why is that really. shouldn't everyone be able to read and comprehend "simple" sentences? is the pressure that bad?

Comment

Kind of ****ed me over with the 1MB limit. Really? 2.5 is way, way too big?

I won't go into details but Final Draft has been really evil on my new, printerless machine, so I had to impose upon others, which sucked. Got it in though -- please, hold your applause.

Comment

Originally posted by Unfinishe View Post
                      Kind of ****ed me over with the 1MB limit. Really? 2.5 is way, way too big?
                      Eh...HOW...did this happen? I called-in at 340KB tops. Did you submit a - scanned - pdf with color photos??? Curious...?

Comment

My theory is that he scanned with a photocopier.

Unfinishe - there are free programs (CutePDF, PDFCreator) that can convert your fdr into a pdf. Typical size is around 250kb.

Well, we're down to the last 10 minutes. Best of luck to all fellow DDers who entered this year!

Comment

Originally posted by YakMan View Post
                          Eh...HOW...did this happen? I called-in at 340KB tops. Did you submit a - scanned - pdf with color photos??? Curious...?
                          Final Draft 7.0 has a known glitch - it creates immense PDF files.

Upgrading to 7.1+ or adding Cute or 995 or Primo solves the problem.

Comment

Holy shitballs, I almost screwed up.

I'm in a different time zone, and I'm still not sure how I miscalculated.

I was just leisurely doing a last spell check, logged onto the Nicholl page NINE MINUTES LEFT!!

I've never had any internet purchase go smoothly so I figured I was screwed, it was over, better luck next year.

I sweated two pounds off in six minutes, almost broke my keyboard, spent an insane thirty seconds looking for my wallet, tripped over the %#!&* chair and somehow got it through.

Now it's time to break out the snapple.

Comment

Originally posted by YakMan View Post
                              No.

When I "print" a PDF, final draft gives me an "invalid printer" error. I had downloaded Simpo PDF Creator lite which generates the 2.5 MB files.

I had tried other programs, but this was the only one that worked. Off Rhodi's comment, I downloaded CutePDF, which made a 300kb file. I'm happy see my bitching here was not completely pointless.

Comment

Glad to help. Good luck in the contest!

Comment

Working...
                                X